Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #406 of 1,374
The HE-1000V2 Stealth is much more direct and high-resolution compared to the non-stealth. Therefore I would like to bring some harmonic "garbage" into the signal. Hence the switch from the A90D to the Lyr. I would have kept the A90D for the HE-1000V2 non stealth. I am excited.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #407 of 1,374
Switching from SS to Tube takes 20 seconds, did I get that right?

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #409 of 1,374
Do you prefer the 2/64 or Bifrost 2 with your Lyr? I’m currently using a delta sigma dac and plan to purchase either a BF2 or 2/64. How would you say the 2 compare and what’s your overall preference between the two?
I've had the BF2 for maybe 3 weeks. I got the 2/64 and the Burson Soloist on the same day last week. I did some A/B'ing with the amps and DACs to each. My immediate impression was that the 2/64 had more detail while the 2 was more laidback (but still awesome). I like doing some A/B'ing but really like to spend time with each so I can get INTO the music more and not just hyper focused on immediate nuances. I just spent the last 3 days or so listening to only the 2/64 and Burson. Today I'm going to switch out the Burson for the Lyr. So maybe in a few days I can give you some feedback on that combo. I've been thrilled with the Lyr/BF2 combo I've been using until now. I am curious if there is anything about the 2/64 I won't like with the Lyr. But l have no gripes using it with the Burson. Sounding incredible. The fact that my immediate impressions were that I found both amps sounding similar except liking the tube flavor of the Lyr, my guess is that I will like the 2/64 just fine. Seems from what I've read, some people with brighter set ups, may find the 2/64 TOO much.

Again, I can report back soon. If I forget don't hesitate to PM me.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #410 of 1,374
I've had the BF2 for maybe 3 weeks. I got the 2/64 and the Burson Soloist on the same day last week. I did some A/B'ing with the amps and DACs to each. My immediate impression was that the 2/64 had more detail while the 2 was more laidback (but still awesome). I like doing some A/B'ing but really like to spend time with each so I can get INTO the music more and not just hyper focused on immediate nuances. I just spent the last 3 days or so listening to only the 2/64 and Burson. Today I'm going to switch out the Burson for the Lyr. So maybe in a few days I can give you some feedback on that combo. I've been thrilled with the Lyr/BF2 combo I've been using until now. I am curious if there is anything about the 2/64 I won't like with the Lyr. But l have no gripes using it with the Burson. Sounding incredible. The fact that my immediate impressions were that I found both amps sounding similar except liking the tube flavor of the Lyr, my guess is that I will like the 2/64 just fine. Seems from what I've read, some people with brighter set ups, may find the 2/64 TOO much.

I have both the new Lyr and BF coming soon. I’m preparing for 100 hours of burn for both before forming opinions. I’ve seen too many posts here and at SBAF that speak to the need for this (probably more so for the 2/64).

I’ve been thinking about the new Arya pretty seriously. Also an Audeze around the same price point. And maybe an 800s.

Excited!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #411 of 1,374
my BF2 and BF2/64 are both used. Not sure how many hours on them. I definitely want some more time with each before making more concrete opinions.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #412 of 1,374

Thank you! I look forward to you’re continued impressions! It’s hard to say which I’ll like more.. I like detail but I also like things to sound smooth. As long as it’s not any sharper sounding that my current dac (topping dx7) I should be ok with a 2/64 I think.. since I love the current combo (dx7 + Lyr+ mostly used with a cv181-z tube). Very curious what the improvements might be and how adding an R2R component into the mix might improve my audio experience (hopefully improve lol)..,

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #413 of 1,374
I have both the new Lyr and BF coming soon. I’m preparing for 100 hours of burn for both before forming opinions. I’ve seen too many posts here and at SBAF that speak to the need for this (probably more so for the 2/64).

I’ve been thinking about the new Arya pretty seriously. Also an Audeze around the same price point. And maybe an 800s.

Excited!

What headphones do you have now?

Keep in mind, I'm very very biased. But the Arya SE is just such a fabulous headphone, and it marries well with the Lyr+ in tube mode, enhancing the soundstaging strengths of the Arya even further while still staying agile and punchy.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #414 of 1,374
What headphones do you have now?

Keep in mind, I'm very very biased. But the Arya SE is just such a fabulous headphone, and it marries well with the Lyr+ in tube mode, enhancing the soundstaging strengths of the Arya even further while still staying agile and punchy.
You may be biased but it seems like a very popular headphone right now, although opinions seem to vary on the newer Stealth? Right now I have the HD 650 and 660. Also the Airpod Max. I’m using this gear purchase as a reason to move up a tier. 😂 Planars feel like the next logical step for me. And the 800s just want to hear the legendary resolution and sound stage… etc.

A plug for Sennheiser’s wireless earbuds. They sound GREaT for wireless but they are quite buggy.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #415 of 1,374
You may be biased but it seems like a very popular headphone right now, although opinions seem to vary on the newer Stealth? Right now I have the HD 650 and 660. Also the Airpod Max. I’m using this gear purchase as a reason to move up a tier. 😂 Planars feel like the next logical step for me. And the 800s just want to hear the legendary resolution and sound stage… etc.

A plug for Sennheiser’s wireless earbuds. They sound GREaT for wireless but they are quite buggy.

Opinions vary on every aspect of audio. Right now the Stealth Edition is the only one in production that you can buy new, so even if you wanted the V2, you'd have to buy it used without a warranty.

I would say the ZMF Auteur Classic is also a very strong contender.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #417 of 1,374
From the first moment I turned the Lyr+ on I let it warm up for a good bit, then plugged in my headphones and got a concerningly loud whirring on the left channel while in SS mode, which thankfully stopped after two minutes, but then pushing the knob past 3 o'clock resulted in bass clipping while not being particularly loud... Bad signs so far. I switched to tube mode and the clipping issue disappeared. I was enjoying the sound for a half hour but the power output was not exactly impressive with the Empyrean. The volume is super quiet before 12 o'clock, only becoming usable for music around 3. Out of my music player I'm at 3 usually, but when scouring youtube for new music the knob is at 4 typically, and for some videos I have to turn it all the way up. Better yet, noise is quite loud when the pot is that high and I can hear my mouse cursor sing. All of this in high gain, of course. The single ended output on the V281 is simply better.

Then I switched back to SS mode and the unit bricked for good few minutes. No ready click, no output, and no response from the remote or the unit for at least 3 minutes. Surely it doesn't take that long? I turned it off, unplugged, turned on again. Finally, after another few minutes I get the ready click in SS mode. Not a positive experience so far but the clipping issue was less apparent in SS mode now, at least? Though, there is still some audible nastiness in the bass at higher volumes in SS mode. The tube output is much cleaner.

Unimpressed with the lack of headroom for the Empyreans, I try the LCD-4, and unfortunately the knob has to be dialed up all the way for them, while also not delivering their full potential. The V281 SE output also struggles to a lesser degree with the LCD-4, but its balanced out makes them shine with plenty of room to spare. I specifically got the Lyr+ because I wanted a powerful hybrid amp, but I'm just not getting it. I expected a lot more from 6W.

Is it normal for the buttons on the front to have no travel and no tactile click? Because only the gain button has travel and works as I would expect. There was a period where my input button didn't work at all, but now it is.

The remote is a nice touch, but the volume adjustment is not very precise, especially considering that roughly a quarter of the pot is actually usable.

The sound in tube mode is excellent, provided it's given an easy load, but the power capabilities of the Lyr are not inspiring given its paper specs, unless there is something wrong with my unit. SS mode is disappointing, as is the noise in both modes since the pot has to be turned up high most of the time. Hopefully I also don't experience any further technical quirks. Not happy so far.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #419 of 1,374
From the first moment I turned the Lyr+ on I let it warm up for a good bit, then plugged in my headphones and got a concerningly loud whirring on the left channel while in SS mode, which thankfully stopped after two minutes, but then pushing the knob past 3 o'clock resulted in bass clipping while not being particularly loud... Bad signs so far. I switched to tube mode and the clipping issue disappeared. I was enjoying the sound for a half hour but the power output was not exactly impressive with the Empyrean. The volume is super quiet before 12 o'clock, only becoming usable for music around 3. Out of my music player I'm at 3 usually, but when scouring youtube for new music the knob is at 4 typically, and for some videos I have to turn it all the way up. Better yet, noise is quite loud when the pot is that high and I can hear my mouse cursor sing. All of this in high gain, of course. The single ended output on the V281 is simply better.

Then I switched back to SS mode and the unit bricked for good few minutes. No ready click, no output, and no response from the remote or the unit for at least 3 minutes. Surely it doesn't take that long? I turned it off, unplugged, turned on again. Finally, after another few minutes I get the ready click in SS mode. Not a positive experience so far but the clipping issue was less apparent in SS mode now, at least? Though, there is still some audible nastiness in the bass at higher volumes in SS mode. The tube output is much cleaner.

Unimpressed with the lack of headroom for the Empyreans, I try the LCD-4, and unfortunately the knob has to be dialed up all the way for them, while also not delivering their full potential. The V281 SE output also struggles to a lesser degree with the LCD-4, but its balanced out makes them shine with plenty of room to spare. I specifically got the Lyr+ because I wanted a powerful hybrid amp, but I'm just not getting it. I expected a lot more from 6W.

Is it normal for the buttons on the front to have no travel and no tactile click? Because only the gain button has travel and works as I would expect. There was a period where my input button didn't work at all, but now it is.

The remote is a nice touch, but the volume adjustment is not very precise, especially considering that roughly a quarter of the pot is actually usable.

The sound in tube mode is excellent, provided it's given an easy load, but the power capabilities of the Lyr are not inspiring given its paper specs, unless there is something wrong with my unit. SS mode is disappointing, as is the noise in both modes since the pot has to be turned up high most of the time. Hopefully I also don't experience any further technical quirks. Not happy so far.

The buttons should click and be tactile. I had that issue with my first one but managed to fix it by gently tugging on the face of the unit underneath with my fingernails. That caused the outer buttons to align with the inner buttons.

The volume is logarithmic so it ramps up more slowly <12 o'clock, so it's normal to need to go past noon. It's not normal to not turn on for 3 minutes, or for there to be noise or clipping. My unit had no trouble powering the notoriously hard-to-drive AKG K340, but after breaking the first unit myself, my replacement unit failed on its own by seemingly cooking itself to death.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #420 of 1,374
The buttons should click and be tactile. I had that issue with my first one but managed to fix it by gently tugging on the face of the unit underneath with my fingernails. That caused the outer buttons to align with the inner buttons.

The volume is logarithmic so it ramps up more slowly <12 o'clock, so it's normal to need to go past noon. It's not normal to not turn on for 3 minutes, or for there to be noise or clipping. My unit had no trouble powering the notoriously hard-to-drive AKG K340, but after breaking the first unit myself, my replacement unit failed on its own by seemingly cooking itself to death.
Tugging on the panel didn't fix the buttons for me. Seems like there are serious QC issues with this model. I waited nearly three weeks to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back