Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #1,141 of 1,381
Can you keep us updated on the warranty situation as a second owner, please... I have just purchased a used Lyr+ and will be the second owner. It would be nice to know I'm still covered should any issues develop - albeit with a bit of a fight, it seems. Good luck with yours

EDIT: from reading some of your posts, were you returning a 2nd hand Lyr+ bought used by you, but using your own 1st hand warranty from another Lyr+ owned by you as original owner?
I'm using the warranty of the own AMP (I have 2 lyr+, to each their own warranty).

It was worded that second users will not have the manufacturer warranty, only the product warranty. The only change so far has been the postage cost back and forth on me. They quoted me 20€ to the shipping back. It will arrive to them this week and I'll tell you about the process itself, I was told LYR+ boards are in limited quantities.

First contact was hard, it's now going smoothly and they even ordered a board before my LYR+ arrives to shorten the process. So everything should be covered.

And for those with LYR+ hot to the touch, hot to the point you can't touch it more than a few seconds, a warranty should be initiated. My second LYR+ isn't even running hot after a few weeks. It's barely warm in the same conditions as the previous one (we are talking 20/30 °C of difference)

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,142 of 1,381
Can anyone shed any light... i've always wanted to try a Mullard CV181/ECC32. Would anyone happen to know if the Lyr+ can handle the 50% greater required heater current from the transforner? Or is this for sure a bad idea??

Have asked Schiit directly via email but have no response yet... anyone here know?

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #1,143 of 1,381
Can anyone shed any light... i've always wanted to try a Mullard CV181/ECC32. Would anyone happen to know if the Lyr+ can handle the 50% greater required heater current from the transforner? Or is this for sure a bad idea??

Have asked Schiit directly via email but have no response yet... anyone here know?
This page
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0139.htm
says it's "Sensibly equivalent" to a 6SN7GT
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0072.htm

but I'm not sure about the heater current.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,144 of 1,381
This page
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0139.htm
says it's "Sensibly equivalent" to a 6SN7GT
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0072.htm

It's not an exact match spec-wise, but the heater current is 6.3 for both, unless I'm reading it wrong. More info here (definitely not shilling for them at that price :rolling_eyes:)
https://tubedepot.com/products/mullard-ecc32-cv181
Cheers boss... but isn't 6.3 the voltage (same) - the current draw is different @50% higher placing more demand on the transformer 'ECC32 Filament Current .95 Amp versus .6 Amp for the 6SN7GTB'. Just wondering if Lyr+ can handle it...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #1,145 of 1,381
Cheers boss... but isn't 6.3 the voltage (same) - the current draw is different @50% higher placing more demand on the transformer 'ECC32 Filament Current .95 Amp versus .6 Amp for the 6SN7GTB'
Yeah, just realized I was reading the specs wrong. I would say it's not a good idea then, as Schiit always said rolling tubes not specifically designed for any of the Lyr models was fine, as long as you didn't exceed the heater current limitation. So the Lyr OG could handle tubes the Lyr 2 could not. That's why I like the Lyr+, as it takes all my old Lyr tubes.

But let us know what they say, if they reply.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #1,147 of 1,381
Yeah, just realized I was reading the specs wrong. I would say it's not a good idea then, as Schiit always said rolling tubes not specifically designed for any of the Lyr models was fine, as long as you didn't exceed the heater current limitation. So the Lyr OG could handle tubes the Lyr 2 could not. That's why I like the Lyr+, as it takes all my old Lyr tubes.

But let us know what they say, if they reply.
Yup, will keep you posted if or when they reply... cheers

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,148 of 1,381
[MM-500]
Running the LYR+ w/Sylvania 6SN7 GTB [my "bread-and-butter" tube choice], driving the Audeze MM-500. High gain, with volume dialed to about 12:15.

The LYR+ imparts a rounder, thicker and richer tonality, as well as more perceptible liquidity and elasticity to the MM-500; traits underrepresented or absent when driven by the SMSL SP400. Everything is smoother and more relaxed. Level of detail is diminished somewhat, though.

Will try the HEDDphone for a few minutes to see if the LYR+ is up to the task . . .

. . .

[HEDDphone]
LYR+ at high gain with volume dialed to about 2:00. Adequate volume. again, lacking the detail retrieval and bass punch of the SMSL SP400, but beautiful tonality and nice overall soundstage cohesiveness/integrity.

. . . more to follow, Deo volente . . . Have some more 6SN7 tubes on hand, as well as adapters allowing for 2x 6J5 and 1x 6922 tube trials.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #1,151 of 1,381
Enjoying this amp very much. Admittedly I’m a novice when it comes to headphones, so not much to compare to - been a 2-channel/speaker person a long time. But the sound gives me a lot of what I look for. I love the look of it, and the form factor, and the remote is great.

The only thing I feel lacking at the moment is soundstage depth; things feel too close. I imagine that could be many things, from cables to power to DAC to headphones/synergy. Too soon to tell.

Far as amps I’ve only had the Midgard and Hugo 2 to compare; I find the Lyr more satisfying.

Intuition tells me a different DAC will be an improvement, that may be my next adventure. Tomorrow I think I’ll connect the Lyr to my main system DAC and see how that sounds.

Have the stock Tung Sol tube in now, with a few on the way to try. In the next week or two I should be able to compare the Psvane, a NOS Westinghouse, and a NOS ‘40s grey glass RCA. Have not tried SS yet.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #1,152 of 1,381
Enjoying this amp very much. Admittedly I’m a novice when it comes to headphones, so not much to compare to - been a 2-channel/speaker person a long time. But the sound gives me a lot of what I look for. I love the look of it, and the form factor, and the remote is great.

The only thing I feel lacking at the moment is soundstage depth; things feel too close. I imagine that could be many things, from cables to power to DAC to headphones/synergy. Too soon to tell.

Far as amps I’ve only had the Midgard and Hugo 2 to compare; I find the Lyr more satisfying.

Intuition tells me a different DAC will be an improvement, that may be my next adventure. Tomorrow I think I’ll connect the Lyr to my main system DAC and see how that sounds.

Have the stock Tung Sol tube in now, with a few on the way to try. In the next week or two I should be able to compare the Psvane, a NOS Westinghouse, and a NOS ‘40s grey glass RCA. Have not tried SS yet.
What associated equipment are you using?
In my experience, the LYR+ is capable of generating an ample+ 3-D soundstage.
Let us know how things go after you swap in your main system DAC.
Meanwhile, ENJOY! The LYR+ is a great little amp! . . . versatile, too!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,153 of 1,381

I find the lyr+ with stock tube and in SS to be quite close relative to other head amps. Which I enjoy since I mainly run HD800 which can be too far away for vocals that are supposed to be in your face. With HD600 with forward vocals, it's a little much.

The Westinghouse GTB D getter I have (very cheap!) has nice depth and saturation to it at the expense of noticeable subbass roll off and mid bass boost, which can just be EQ'd back to neutral, or left as is for a more speaker like FR (with no sub).

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,154 of 1,381
What associated equipment are you using?
In my experience, the LYR+ is capable of generating an ample+ 3-D soundstage.
Let us know how things go after you swap in your main system DAC.
Meanwhile, ENJOY! The LYR+ is a great little amp! . . . versatile, too!

Hugo 2 as DAC, Abyss 1266 Phi and Focal Radiance w/ stock cables.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,155 of 1,381
Listened to the Lyr on the Lumin X1 for a bit last night. Overall there is a slightly greater sense of musicality - PRAT, timber - an “organic-ness” that feels a little more relaxed somehow without sacrificing speed or punch, but where instruments and voices sound a bit more natural. Somehow though, bass felt less speedy, less punchy, less controlled. Did I gain soundstage depth? Not really; felt about the same. Could just be acclimation to the kind of soundstage I’m used to with the main/speaker system. /shrug

I expected more of a difference from the Hugo 2 to the X1, given the X1 dominating everything else I’ve tried in my main system, and the relative cost, but tbh I don’t feel like I’m losing much keeping the Lyr with the Hugo while I slowly try out other DACs for the desktop situation, and in fact enjoy the bass in the Hugo with the Lyr more. I don’t really have time to explore this more, but that was the result of my <1 hour try-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back