Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #541 of 1,331
I had similar issues with the Lyr+ - I received mine late Nov '22, and 3 weeks later it, "blew" - basically loud pop and that's it. I could feel the power supply vibrate when switched on, but no lights, nothing..tube or not. Sent it back, a few weeks later got it back and it wasn't even put together right - the cover corner slot screw was riding above the slot, and the casing was crooked so no longer sat flat. I later realized the remote control no longer worked the volume as a result. Schiit offered to replace it and/ or refund it, but I didn't spend the money and a bunch of time comparing with other products to end up 6 weeks in starting over or waiting another 2 weeks for something that would possibly end up having its' own problems. I ended up pulling the cover off and reseating the slot screw(s), and everything was fine about 3m later.

I was assured that would never ever happen during repair. Well, it did - and about that same time I realized one of the power supply board screws (on the bottom) is completely stripped. It won't come out or go in, just spins...and I know for certain it wasn't like that before for other reasons.

I decided to keep it given the time I've invested in it and the detail/ soundstage, though I use it stricly as a preamp to a Burson Soloist since the latter has more depth and layering, and warms up the overall result (with a bit more power too). Someday I will find the alternative to the Schiit gear and sell it to someone 2nd-hand. I don't think I'll buy more Schiit gear at this point - it's just not worth the hassle.
I’m a huge fan of Schiit, owning about 15 of their products (not counting accessories & upgrades), and I’ve been following the various threads for the products I own - and no other product seems to have the high failure rate as the Lyr+, from what I’ve seen over the past couple months since buying one and joining this thread.

From all indications, @Jason Stoddard seems like a great guy, and his participation in this forum stands out more than any other company, but he continues to state the failure rate for the Lyr+ is no higher than other products. Something doesn’t gel there.

I work for one of the largest aerospace & defense companies which manufactures a ton of electronic products, and am familiar with the QA efforts across our many businesses, which vary greatly. I’m totally sympathetic to all the challenges a manufacturer faces, but to fix a problem, you need to admit you have one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #542 of 1,331
I’m a huge fan of Schiit, owning about 15 of their products (not counting accessories & upgrades), and I’ve been following the various threads for the products I own - and no other product seems to have the high failure rate as the Lyr+, from what I’ve seen over the past couple months since buying one and joining this thread.

From all indications, @Jason Stoddard seems like a great guy, and his participation in this forum stands out more than any other company, but he continues to state the failure rate for the Lyr+ is no higher than other products. Something doesn’t gel there.

I work for one of the largest aerospace & defense companies which manufactures a ton of electronic products, and am familiar with the QA efforts across our many businesses, which vary greatly. I’m totally sympathetic to all the challenges a manufacturer faces, but to fix a problem, you need to admit you have one.
Sometimes tech founders need to get out of their own way to overcome problems like this. It's a very common mistake, and band-aids don't work very well - you get a cycle or two right and end up right back where you started. All the signs are there. Though it costs money and it's a hard check to write, the upside more than pays for it, and speaking from personal experience it's a lot harder to make that decision than it may seem. Unfortunately, it only limits upside potential and they become one of a million other similar stories, which happens every single day in the Valley a little north of there.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #543 of 1,331
Could it be that having both SS and tube modalities in either/or fashion in Lyr 3+ contributes to the cause? I do not recall serious problems with hybrid-only Lyr 3, the predecessor. EDIT: I certainly never had an issue with Lyr 3.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #544 of 1,331

Given Schiit's consistent history of detailed transparency, I believe Jason when he says that the failure rate is within normal parameters. The total number of units sold is unknown here and the several posted failures don't prove there's an unusual rate of problems.

That said, the types of failures - and some units needing to be repaired more then once - give cause for concern. It may be that the failure rate is approaching unacceptable limits and, perhaps, may be rising. If so, I expect that Schiit will discover the issue(s) and announce a solution.

Edit: I meant to say approaching unacceptable, r/t hovering near acceptable, limits.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #545 of 1,331
Sometimes tech founders need to get out of their own way to overcome problems like this. It's a very common mistake, and band-aids don't work very well - you get a cycle or two right and end up right back where you started. All the signs are there. Though it costs money and it's a hard check to write, the upside more than pays for it, and speaking from personal experience it's a lot harder to make that decision than it may seem. Unfortunately, it only limits upside potential and they become one of a million other similar stories, which happens every single day in the Valley a little north of there.
As someone who learned Quality Assurance from a guy who studied with Joeseph Juran, I can say you're spot on. I did it for a few years in the IT/software biz, and I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that I came out on the losing end every time the tough decision had to be made.

That said, we have a big ol' slice of the anecdotal here, and while I sympathize with those experiencing problems (and empathize from previous experiences: Lyr OG and original Bifrost both had to go back), we have no idea what Jason's measure of statistical tolerance is, and have no idea how many units they've moved; and I'm not advocating we be privy to that info. Full marks to him for being willing to make it right, and state so in a public forum. Everyone has their limits of tolerance, and for some these problems will be deal breakers.

And that said, there's never a time to rest on your laurels, esp. when you're trying to move more units of a UNIT you designed and believe in. QA is a necessary part of the process.

Good luck to all y'all who got dodgy units. Hope you get to enjoy a great amp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL. What @classfolkphile said above. I was slow off the mark :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #546 of 1,331
I fixed the button today.
The felt pads glued to the buttons had slipped and are not identical in terms of their hardness. This leads to different haptics for the buttons. After I centered the pads, everything works as it should.

20230123_095247.jpg

Then I put LED dimmers on the bright LEDs,
so that they don't get on my nerves in the dark.

20230123_095519.jpg
20230123_095402.jpg
20230123_100120.jpg

The LEDs also light up the amplifier from the inside, and thereby spoil the nice light of the tube.

20230123_102419.jpg

Now the LEDs are no longer annoying, even in complete darkness, and do not illuminate the amplifier from the inside.

Last but not least, the tube got some Caigs DeoxIT Gold to enhance the contacts.

20230123_101302.jpg

By the way, I am an electronics engineer and I recommend not opening electrical devices.
If I should get problems with the warranty as a result of this action, then so be it.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #547 of 1,331
I swapped between the Psvane 6SN7 (non-UK) and Tung-Sol last night and they're pretty close, but I'm enjoying the little extra body that the Psvane has. I think the Tung-Sol pushes back the soundstage just a touch but their actual SS size seems pretty similar.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #548 of 1,331
I ordered the C version.
I'm curious.

Screenshot_20230124_113346_eBay.jpg

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #549 of 1,331

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Update: I've watched it now and he mostly compares it to Topping A90D (SS mode) and the tube mode to the Darkvoice 336SE.

He LOVES the A90D so yeah he doesn't think Lyr+'s SS mode holds up to it, but thinks tube mode blows the 336SE out of the water. Doesn't think the Lyr+ is worth it if you mostly want it for the SS mode, but thinks it's the best tube amp for the money.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #550 of 1,331
I turn it on right away.

Edit:

What is that actually for a pathetic person?!
Since he has actually deleted my comment, just because I have reported that my hearing impression is completely different...😂

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #551 of 1,331
Koto Music also sounds fantastic on the Lyr+

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #552 of 1,331
Today I used the lunch break for something useful and built a new cinch cable for the LYR+

20230125_160913.jpg
20230125_161031.jpg

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #554 of 1,331
The Psvane 6SN7 with my Auteur OG.... Man that is a MAGICAL combination. I've never heard my Auteurs sing like this. It really elevates them.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #555 of 1,331
mine should arrive tomorrow. i am curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back