SCHIIT LYR - Do the pre-outs run through the tubes?
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
If the power amp drives them well and then you add to that the Lyr's pre amp it could be too much. Which is why I said
it could be overkill. But if you max out the speakers and use the Lyr for volume control it can be easier controlling both channels.

Those should both be fine.

A typical power amp has no volume control, that is why I intend to use the Lyr as a pre-amp (volume control), just like any other "pre-amp -> power amp -> speaker" setup.

Anyways, I think ill have a chance to try it next week.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

A typical power amp has no volume control, that is why I intend to use the Lyr as a pre-amp (volume control), just like any other "pre-amp -> power amp -> speaker" setup.

Anyways, I think ill have a chance to try it next week.

I glossed over the fact they are passive. My initial comment was in regards to active speakers.

You shouldn't have any problems.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 22
I'm using the Lyr as a preamp to my Audioengine A5+ powered speakers, it works great, zero complaints and this is one of the main reasons I went with the Lyr too since it has the preamp output. 

My only issue is that I have to put the speakers to sleep (or power them off) when I want to switch to headphones since the Lyr has both outputs (preamp and headphone) active all the time. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
I agree, LugBug.  And I just heard back from Jason at Schiit (impressive turnaround time on responding to my email).

"Yep, the pre-outs are amplified by the tubes, for the exact reason you'd think--tube sound!"

Looks like I'm gonna have to take out the VISA and check out the Lyr!!!

This is an interesting feature. How do you like this system? Does the Lyr with its tube system improve the sound of your amplifier?
I am thinking of hooking this one up to my old Denon receiver...

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #22 of 22
I use the Valhalla 2 as a pre for my Quad 9L active monitors and am very happy with the setup. It definitely sounds better than running a source directly to the speakers, as I had done in the past.

IMG_6903.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back