Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #4,486 of 5,228
How about quoting both of you on the same post, Bill? :smirk:

Seriously, happy holidays guys! You have made me smile quite a few times in those frustrating times :slight_smile:
I will toast for 2021 being much better than 2020 (I know, low bar...). May you all find amazing tubes in rock bottom prices.
Who knows - maybe Lyr 4 in 2021 with even better sound at the same price? :beerchug:

And happiest of holidays to you too Zachi...and everyone else. I hate to think how even suckier this past year would have been without the joy and pleasure of our music and the fun and camaraderie in these pages...

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #4,487 of 5,228
Lyr 4?

Maybe. I'm pretty pleased with the current model.

I would like to see an easy way to switch tubes, without removing. Say a valve riser with switch.

I'm currently enjoying 6F8G tubes. Love the early '40's National Union round plate for female voice, prefer RCA smoked glass black flat plate bottom getter as an all around tube. Maybe a new Tung Sol 6SN7 as an every day choice? 3 tubes with a toggle switch.

I'm curious. If something as described was avalable commercially (assuming no compromises, and at under $100), would there be demand?

My only comment would be that adding a switch (no matter how high the quality) would be a compromise. Perhaps not a significant liability for many people, but it would be for me.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #4,488 of 5,228
My only comment would be that adding a switch (no matter how high the quality) would be a compromise. Perhaps not a significant liability for many people, but it would be for me.
Regarding @cgb3 question of feasibility for such "contraption" - I am sure @Deyan can answer :wink:

Bill - I suspect that such degradation would be claimed by audiophiles, who would fail miserably when asked to prove in a blind A/B to identify which Lyr3 is "native" and which uses this switch gadgetry.
Maybe measurable, but likely not audible, IMHO of course :)

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #4,489 of 5,228
Regarding @cgb3 question of feasibility for such "contraption" - I am sure @Deyan can answer :wink:

Bill - I suspect that such degradation would be claimed by audiophiles, who would fail miserably when asked to prove in a blind A/B to identify which Lyr3 is "native" and which uses this switch gadgetry.
Maybe measurable, but likely not audible, IMHO of course :)

You may be right. However, @cgb3 stated "assuming no compromises" in his question, and I will stand by *my* statement that any switch inserted into the signal path is a compromise versus that same signal path without a switch. So you could quite possibly be correct from the practical standpoint, but I'm correct from the technical standpoint. So there. Or something. :grinning::grinning:

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #4,490 of 5,228
You may be right. However, @cgb3 stated "assuming no compromises" in his question, and I will stand by *my* statement that any switch inserted into the signal path is a compromise versus that same signal path without a switch. So you could quite possibly be correct from the practical standpoint, but I'm correct from the technical standpoint. So there. Or something. :grinning::grinning:
It was a harebrained idea from the start. I fell asleep (or passed out), awoke, and imagined a flux capacitor, only with valves.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #4,491 of 5,228
Never, Ever - No, I mean Always...

... contradict anything @bcowen says here. He is an online forum masochist and thoroughly enjoys it. :smirk:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #4,493 of 5,228
So, you are saying that you just want to make him happy?

LOL! I've always had a vague suspicion that @Ripper2860 had a redeeming quality, but just couldn't quite put my finger on it until now. :laughing::laughing:

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #4,494 of 5,228
Dec 27, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #4,495 of 5,228
Ordered a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB this past week. Arrived today, and first impressions is that while it's definitely an upgrade over the stock JJ 6SN7 that Schiit provides by default, it's a bit too sharp and harsh for my tastes. It's also VERY fast in attack, probably the fastest tube I've heard thus far, but as a result, this tube is also very fatiguing. Definitely pales in comparison to the TSRP black glass which is MUCH smoother and overall superior to this new Tung Sol. However, where the new production Tung Sol excels in is bass, a touch in resolution, and clarity. There is oodles and oodles of BASS, but the sound signature to me at least sounds like the common V pattern setting on an equalizer. I'd say that this tube is more suited for classical genres and wind instruments, and less so for pop music. Some EDM tracks might benefit from this tube such as "Tiesto - Adagio For Strings".

Schiit Lyr 3 paired with the HiFiMan Ananda w/ stock cables.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #4,496 of 5,228
Ordered a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB this past week. Arrived today, and first impressions is that while it's definitely an upgrade over the stock JJ 6SN7 that Schiit provides by default, it's a bit too sharp and harsh for my tastes. It's also VERY fast in attack, probably the fastest tube I've heard thus far, but as a result, this tube is also very fatiguing. Definitely pales in comparison to the TSRP black glass which is MUCH smoother and overall superior to this new Tung Sol. However, where the new production Tung Sol excels in is bass, a touch in resolution, and clarity. There is oodles and oodles of BASS, but the sound signature to me at least sounds like the common V pattern setting on an equalizer. I'd say that this tube is more suited for classical genres and wind instruments, and less so for pop music. Some EDM tracks might benefit from this tube such as "Tiesto - Adagio For Strings".

Schiit Lyr 3 paired with the HiFiMan Ananda w/ stock cables.

Give it 20 hours (or so) of play and break-in time. I think you'll find that it smooths out and a lot of that treble 'bite' that makes it fatiguing will improve considerably.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4,500 of 5,228
Looks like this thread is gotten a little stale. I'm happy to restart. Just acquired a first gen Lyr and want to buy some new tubs. I have money to burn, so what's a recommendation for the top tier tubs for this model? Thanks!
This is the Lyr 3 rolling thread.

If you're sporting a Lyr 1, you need 6dj8/ECC88 valves. The Lyr 3 rolls 6sn7 family valves.

There's probably a Lyr 1 tube roll thread here, I'll let you find it.

Here's a thread to a Darko review of the Lyr 1: https://darko.audio/2011/07/schiit-lyr-headphone-amplifier/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back