Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #4,501 of 5,228
Ah ha. Found my thread. Added to my watch-list.:)

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,502 of 5,228
Hi All! I've been reading threads on head-fi over the last year and finally just joined!

This has been my favorite thread, as I've enjoyed reading the tube recommendations and all the playful humor between members :)!

Some background. Previously my only headphone experience, beyond the basics, was a HRT usb dac and Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. That setup always sounded shrill, metallic, and fatiguing; and therefore I wasn't listening to music much at all.

Then at the end of 2019, I finally decided I needed to find a way to enjoy music again! After much consternation and reading countless reviews and threads, I jumped in and purchased a Lyr 3 w/MB and DCA Aeon 2 Closed. Wow! This setup was so much better than my previous basic setup!

Tube rolling was all new to me and sounded fun, so I slowly started down the path, first getting a new Tung Sol 6SN7-GTB, Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 EH Gold Pin, and a 1970's Sovtek 6SN7-GT. I didn't like the Sovtek (was fuzzy as I recall) and the TS and EH sounded good, but not much better than the stock JJ to me.

I was looking for some more bass from my setup, so I ended up getting an original RCA 6SN7 early 1940's from VTS. Turns out I never liked this tube. It's too laid back and soft, and the bass doesn't seem that much better to me. Figures 🤦‍♂️, my most expensive tube is one of my least favorites :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:! Think I'll sell it some day...

Fast forward several months, still looking for some more sonic upgrades and continuing to read this thread, I ended up getting a Psvane UK-6SN7, Psvane CV181-T MKII, a 1958 Foton 6H8C; and drumroll please... a Schiit Bifrost 2! Now we're talking :L3000:!

I found that with the Lyr3's inbuilt DAC the tube differences weren't nearly as audible. But when switching to the Bifrost 2 the tube changes became much more apparent. And the Bifrost 2 by itself is a huge upgrade IMO; the soundstage became much bigger, the bass is increased, and the timbre of instruments just sounds much more natural.

So with the Bifrost 2 now in play, I've found that I enjoy both Psvane tubes and the Foton much more than my other tubes. If I had to pick a tube for my DCA Aeon 2 Closed, I'd pick the Psvane CV181-T MKII. This tube just has a lot a space and clarity with the Aeon 2, but isn't harsh.

For my Sennheiser 6XX, I again like the Psvane tubes, but seem to just slightly prefer the Foton 6H8C. I find the 6XX's to be too polite at times, and the Foton seems to give them a bit more bite and life.

Anyway, looking forward to the continued discussion on this thread! Cheers everyone! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,503 of 5,228
Happy New Year, everyone!

I scored a few Westinghouse 6SN7 GTBs, two with halo getters and two with what looks like square getters. When I get around to trying them I'll let you all know my thoughts but for now things are sounding so good with the Westinghouse 6SN7 GT I mentioned earlier that I'm in no rush to change anything. Also, I'm pretty sure I now have enough 6SN7 tubes to outfit several amps. :smile:

For Christmas I treated myself to a new set of headphones, the Focal Clear Professionals. They're a nice upgrade from the Elear to my ears and are a great match to the Lyr 3, which continues to be a terrific amp that punches well above its weight class. Next upgrade might be a Bifrost 2 if it's enough of an improvement over the already-excellent Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5, will have to wait and see.

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #4,504 of 5,228
Happy New Year, everyone!

I scored a few Westinghouse 6SN7 GTBs, two with halo getters and two with what looks like square getters. When I get around to trying them I'll let you all know my thoughts but for now things are sounding so good with the Westinghouse 6SN7 GT I mentioned earlier that I'm in no rush to change anything. Also, I'm pretty sure I now have enough 6SN7 tubes to outfit several amps. :smile:

For Christmas I treated myself to a new set of headphones, the Focal Clear Professionals. They're a nice upgrade from the Elear to my ears and are a great match to the Lyr 3, which continues to be a terrific amp that punches well above its weight class. Next upgrade might be a Bifrost 2 if it's enough of an improvement over the already-excellent Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5, will have to wait and see.

The Westinghouse "square" may be a "D", not a lot of curve on that getter.

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,505 of 5,228
Bifrost 2 by itself is a huge upgrade IMO
Next upgrade might be a Bifrost 2 if it's enough of an improvement over the already-excellent Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5, will have to wait and see.
I wonder how the new-ish Modius compares to the Bifrost 2 for SE use with the Lyr3... :thinking:
Anyone A/B'd them with the Lyr3?

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4,506 of 5,228
So with the Bifrost 2 now in play, I've found that I enjoy both Psvane tubes and the Foton much more than my other tubes. If I had to pick a tube for my DCA Aeon 2 Closed, I'd pick the Psvane CV181-T MKII. This tube just has a lot a space and clarity with the Aeon 2, but isn't harsh.

Welcome to the club! I'm glad you enjoy the Psvane tubes - their tubes are excellent and deserve more love from the community.

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,507 of 5,228
I ended up getting a Psvane UK-6SN7, Psvane CV181-T MKII, a 1958 Foton 6H8C; and drumroll please... a Schiit Bifrost 2! Now we're talking :L3000:!

I basically have the same setup as you, Lyr3+Bifrost2 w/ HD6XX headphones. I started with the internal multibit card and then got the Bifrost2, not long after it was released. It made a big big difference compared to the internal multibit card! :L3000:

I have a new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB as my daily driver tube, but I also have the Psvane UK-6SN7, which I didn’t really end up liking very much. I’m looking at the Psvane CV181-II though. How would you say the UK-6SN7 compares to the CV181-II?

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #4,508 of 5,228
Hi @tafens! Yes, we do have the same setup when I'm using the HD6XX! I saw some of your posts regarding dac's along the journey to my current setup... and they were helpful while I was deciding to upgrade to a Bifrost 2, which proved to be a great choice. Thanks!

How would you say the UK-6SN7 compares to the CV181-II?

Honestly I don't think there's a big difference between the Psvane UK-6S7N and CV181-T MKII. Both have very good clarity and spaciousness to me. I find the CV181 to have a bit less bite and a slightly bigger soundstage than the UK-6SN7, but nothing major. I think they're more similar than different. YMMV.

For the 6XX pairing, I suppose it's more a matter for what your looking for. I like the Foton's better with the 6XX to add a touch more excitement to them.

For me I'd rate these 3 tubes as follows:
Excitement: Foton 6H8C > Psvane UK-6SN7 > Psvane CV181-T MKII
Soundstage: Psvane CV181-T MKII > Foton 6H8C = Psvane UK-6SN7

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4,510 of 5,228
I use low gain with HD6XX. With high gain the volume pot is set too low and volume tracking is better the higher the pot is rotated. With low I'm usually at 11:00 on the dial where with high I'm at about 8:00.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #4,511 of 5,228
For those of you using the Lyr 3 with the Bifrost 2 and with the Senn HD 6xx series of cans, do you find yourself using low gain or high gain on the Lyr 3?

I find myself using the HD6XX on high gain for most of the music I listen to (singer songwriters, jazz, pop, alternative, country). I find high gain gives a bit more energy to the sound.

But when I'm listening to soundtracks, live recordings, or classical (i.e. recordings with greater dynamic range) I like to switch to low gain.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #4,512 of 5,228
Hi @tafens! Yes, we do have the same setup when I'm using the HD6XX! I saw some of your posts regarding dac's along the journey to my current setup... and they were helpful while I was deciding to upgrade to a Bifrost 2, which proved to be a great choice. Thanks!

I’m happy that my posts have been of help! :smiley:

Honestly I don't think there's a big difference between the Psvane UK-6S7N and CV181-T MKII. Both have very good clarity and spaciousness to me. I find the CV181 to have a bit less bite and a slightly bigger soundstage than the UK-6SN7, but nothing major. I think they're more similar than different. YMMV.

For the 6XX pairing, I suppose it's more a matter for what your looking for. I like the Foton's better with the 6XX to add a touch more excitement to them.

For me I'd rate these 3 tubes as follows:
Excitement: Foton 6H8C > Psvane UK-6SN7 > Psvane CV181-T MKII
Soundstage: Psvane CV181-T MKII > Foton 6H8C = Psvane UK-6SN7

Thanks for the info! I might give it a try then. I love the sound of my setup, but soundstage is something I would like a little bit more of if possible.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4,513 of 5,228
For those of you using the Lyr 3 with the Bifrost 2 and with the Senn HD 6xx series of cans, do you find yourself using low gain or high gain on the Lyr 3?

High gain. I find the sound more exciting and dynamic on high gain. The difference is subtle, but worth the reduced range on the volume dial IMO.

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #4,515 of 5,228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back