Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #3,016 of 5,228
I suspect you are probably right, I was suggested to test the heater pins with a multi meter so I will do that when I get home but I am guessing I am schiit out of luck. I might try contacting the seller though as they were sold as NOS and to last less than 50 hours before failure doesn't sound like NOS to me!

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,017 of 5,228
heaters are connected in series through pins 7 and 8, it it's not glowing there's a break somewhere, possibly burned out filament.

It is possible a bad solder joint in pin 7 or 8, this will stop the whole tube lighting up but can be fixed with a hot soldering iron.

multimeter continuity test will confirm if open circuit.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #3,019 of 5,228
So after getting a bit familiar with tubes (thanks Lyr3), I've circled back to solid state and a little thing called CanOpener Studio by Goodhert.

I've been using CanOpener for awhile and I agree that it really opens most headphones up.

In addition to effects like what CanOpener gives you (which can vary from one music style to the next, so I tend to run with minimal modifications, or just turn it on and off as needed with JRiver's easy plug-in interface), I think a good EQ setup (I prefer parametric) that is carefully tuned to the frequency response of your speakers or headphones (and then your ears) is absolutely essential to getting the most from ffrom your system. I've blind tested a few people with this (you have to be certain to match output levels for such a test) and they all have noticed a substantial improvement.

I believe proper setup of your software is as important (if not more so) than the differences between any two tubes I've heard. Tubes are a great way to take your enjoyment a step further, of course...but don't forget the basics of audio, and the advantages of having a digital version of the audio output available, enabling extremely helpful customization of the sound for your environment and ears.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,020 of 5,228
Infinite resistance between 7 and 8 assuming they are the 2 anti clockwise of the insertion notch... Ah well it's dead. I will see what the seller says about, a NOS tube should last a damn site longer than this one did!

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #3,021 of 5,228
Just ordered my fourth (unique) tube, a Psvane HIFI UK-6SN7 (clear glass, wanna see the glow!) for $47 delivered. That’s excluding import fees and tax of course.

When it arrives I’ll pit against the stock Tung-Sol option which I like a lot. Being a bit pricier than the Tung-Sol I hope I hear the difference!
:)

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #3,022 of 5,228
Just ordered my fourth (unique) tube, a Psvane HIFI UK-6SN7 (clear glass, wanna see the glow!) for $47 delivered. That’s excluding import fees and tax of course.
I am curious - where did you find it for this price?

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #3,023 of 5,228

When it arrives I’ll pit against the stock Tung-Sol option which I like a lot. Being a bit pricier than the Tung-Sol I hope I hear the difference!
:)

If from China there probably won't be any import fees, they're good at marking down value on customs forms :) Wish american sellers would do that.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #3,024 of 5,228
I am curious - where did you find it for this price?

eBay, from a seller called psvanevalve. I realise it’ll probably not have the best matched sections and all, but should give me a general idea of the sound I hope.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #3,025 of 5,228
If from China there probably won't be any import fees, they're good at marking down value on customs forms :) Wish american sellers would do that.

I would hope so, but eBay sellers have been painfully good at marking the actual value lately.

But, even if they would mark it down, the Swedish postal service (PostNord) will always add a $10 import handling fee to any commercial package from outside of the EU.. so in the end it will most probably cost me something like $70 ($47 + 25% vat + $10 import fee).

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #3,026 of 5,228
eBay, from a seller called psvanevalve. I realise it’ll probably not have the best matched sections and all, but should give me a general idea of the sound I hope.
You probably don't need to worry about matched sections as much with new production psvane tubes, i bought my UK-6sn7 from mala audio in norway, a bit more expensive but atleast i don't have to wait a month for it to arrive.

Hmm the 6N8S MELZ sounds interesting probably a contender for Psvane 6sn7, i found some for 30$ on ebay so i think i'll order one or two.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,027 of 5,228
You probably don't need to worry about matched sections as much with new production psvane tubes, i bought my UK-6sn7 from mala audio in norway, a bit more expensive but atleast i don't have to wait a month for it to arrive

How would you say it sounds campared to the new production Russian Tung-Sol 6SN7 (if you have it)?

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #3,030 of 5,228
The price seems reasonable for a pair and they check-off all of the attributes required to be legit 2-hole BB's. They measure well and are from a solid seller with a good reputation, as well.

(I can recommend this seller as I've purchased tubes from this seller in the past.) :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back