Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,046 of 5,228
Links, please!!! :smiley:

I'm trying to post links but the pictures keep getting censored....
censored-lyr-3.jpg

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #3,047 of 5,228
Darn. Thanks for trying. :unamused:

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #3,049 of 5,228
Hmm does anyone know if.there are any tubes that beat the already good.psvane 6sn7-se/uk?

What sonic traits from the Psvane do you enjoy? Any sonic traits you find unnoteworthy or lacking from the Psvane? Also, what music genres to you tend to favor? Lastly, do you have a price cap for a tube purchase? Answers to these questions may help narrow suggestions that best fit your preferences, though ultimately what's 'best' is a matter of subjectivity and personal tastes.

I'd be interested to hear more about the Psvane 6SN7-SE/UK. Save for being easy on they eyes I don't know much about this tubes impact on the Lyr 3's sound. :)

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #3,050 of 5,228
What sonic traits from the Psvane do you enjoy? Any sonic traits you find unnoteworthy or lacking from the Psvane? Also, what music genres to you tend to favor? Lastly, do you have a price cap for a tube purchase? Answers to these questions may help narrow suggestions that best fit your preferences, though ultimately what's 'best' is a matter of subjectivity and personal tastes.

I'd be interested to hear more about the Psvane 6SN7-SE/UK. Save for being easy on they eyes I don't know much about this tubes impact on the Lyr 3's sound. :)

I do enjoy the added bass impacts/ that the psvane adds the sound feels very alive, and energetic , but as i mainly listen to classical/epic type of music, i want a tube with enormous holographic soundstage while still being good enough in other areas, price cap probably be around 70-110$ per tube.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,051 of 5,228
I do enjoy the added bass impacts/ that the psvane adds the sound feels very alive, and energetic , but as i mainly listen to classical/epic type of music, i want a tube with enormous holographic soundstage while still being good enough in other areas, price cap probably be around 70-110$ per tube.

Thanks for the info on the Psvane! I'll give this some thought and if I have any suggestions I'll post them. Ultimately those who have heard the Psvane in the Lyr 3 will be better equipped to make recommendations.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #3,052 of 5,228
Thanks for the info on the Psvane! I'll give this some thought and if I have any suggestions I'll post them. Ultimately those who have heard the Psvane in the Lyr 3 will be better equipped to make recommendations.
I listen to lots of modern jazz, also classical, world. The Psvane tubes have great bass -- full-bodied, controlled -- and smooth, dense mids and highs. Instrument separation is very good, but soundstage does not sound huge, maybe because these tubes are not as euphonic as the NOS tubes I've tried (Ken-Rad VT-231, Sylvania 2-hole "Bad Boy"). For my taste and music choices, the Psvane tubes (-UK and even more the -SE) win.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #3,053 of 5,228
I listen to lots of modern jazz, also classical, world. The Psvane tubes have great bass -- full-bodied, controlled -- and smooth, dense mids and highs. Instrument separation is very good, but soundstage does not sound huge, maybe because these tubes are not as euphonic as the NOS tubes I've tried (Ken-Rad VT-231, Sylvania 2-hole "Bad Boy"). For my taste and music choices, the Psvane tubes (-UK and even more the -SE) win.

I have the the UK, the TII, and SE, they are all excellent with LYR3 and Abyss Phi, and I do like the SE best. Psvanes seem to combine "some" of the best sonic qualities of tube sound with clarity and extension of SS sound. Of course if you want that old-time tube euphony then your going to have to dive in to the complex world of NOS tubes, many of which are very good indeed but there is a steep experience and knowledge and preference curve to go through (along with your wallet).

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #3,054 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #3,055 of 5,228
Wow. You should right a book and call it "The Kamasutra of Tube Rolling". It could be the next "Tube Lore"!! :wink:

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,056 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3,057 of 5,228
You can have Bernie Sanders co-author it.

(Dammit!!! I was typing a response and just caught it. WRITE!!! )

Bill Retribution Checklist:

1. RX-8 (not 7)
2. Buy garage opener code scanner
3. 5 lbs of Sugar-in-the-Raw
4. Buy 500 live crickets to release in house

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,058 of 5,228
Guys, the time has come to say goodbye for now. I've decided to pursue pure transparency and resolution and have decided to go with solid state again. Now, I want to say that NO tube emulator or software can do what the lyr3 does with the right tube. Different, yes. Better? well that's highly subjective.

The Lyr3 is one of those pieces that I really struggled to list for sale. Like the HD600, mojo, or DFR - the Lyr3 is a classic milestone piece for price/performance ratio. While my time with the lyr was awesome, the sale funds will be reinvested into my journey as I strive for next level sonics into the original recording.

The time may come where I part out the tubes for individual sale, but as of now it's a package deal. You guys have been a blast, and I'll hang on to the thread for a bit longer! Until bill or ripper revoke my club membership at least. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-schiit-lyr3-with-many-tubes-no-dac-module.901420/

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #3,059 of 5,228
Guys, the time has come to say goodbye for now. I've decided to pursue pure transparency and resolution and have decided to go with solid state again.
Looking for solid-state transparency and resolution? You could do worse than this end-of-line sale. Great amp for magnetic planars from MrSpeakers.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3,060 of 5,228
Guys, the time has come to say goodbye for now. I've decided to pursue pure transparency and resolution and have decided to go with solid state again. Now, I want to say that NO tube emulator or software can do what the lyr3 does with the right tube. Different, yes. Better? well that's highly subjective.

The Lyr3 is one of those pieces that I really struggled to list for sale. Like the HD600, mojo, or DFR - the Lyr3 is a classic milestone piece for price/performance ratio. While my time with the lyr was awesome, the sale funds will be reinvested into my journey as I strive for next level sonics into the original recording.

The time may come where I part out the tubes for individual sale, but as of now it's a package deal. You guys have been a blast, and I'll hang on to the thread for a bit longer! Until bill or ripper revoke my club membership at least. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-schiit-lyr3-with-many-tubes-no-dac-module.901420/
Happy trails! Which SS are you looking to get into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back