Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #3,061 of 5,226
Looking for solid-state transparency and resolution? You could do worse than this end-of-line sale. Great amp for magnetic planars from MrSpeakers.
its on my list after I've spent a few months with the RS-08 I currently have. Thanks for the suggestion!

Happy trails! Which SS are you looking to get into?

Lake People HPA RS-08 is what I picked up a few weeks ago. Also looking for a Qutest to upgrade my 2Qute as this piece is on my current trip's roadmap.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #3,062 of 5,226

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #3,063 of 5,226
We'll never kick you out of the club. Tubes are like meth -- there is remission, but there is no cure (at least that's what @Ripper2860 tells me). :relaxed: Seriously, I hope your journey along whatever path you take continues to bring you enjoyment.

There ain't no cure!! Sad, but he'll be rolling op-amps before it's all over.

don't be Bill

Wiser words have never been written.

OK, seriously. Have fun!! It's all about the fun!! Once a Schiit tuber always a Schiit tuber, so you'll always be welcome here. Plus we'll always want to know how it's going in SS land and what it is we may be missing.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,064 of 5,226
We'll never kick you out of the club. Tubes are like meth -- there is remission, but there is no cure (at least that's what @Ripper2860 tells me). :relaxed: Seriously, I hope your journey along whatever path you take continues to bring you enjoyment.

Apologies in advance for straying off the thread topic, but around 15 years ago I had built a 2-channel system that was well on up there with the high and mighty of the audiophile world. It had started out quite humbly, but over the years I had continued to upgrade and tweak and tune in that seemingly endless quest to remove every coloration and retrieve every possible piece of information contained in the pits and grooves. And as that system climbed the ladder of "high-endedness" a couple curious things happened. I had a pretty sizable collection of LP's and CD's, and as the resolution of the system increased, there were larger and larger chunks of that collection that ceased being enjoyable to listen to. Sure, awesome recordings sounded even more awesome, but less than awesome recordings became no joys. Why is it that so many awesome recordings are of such suck-a$$ music -- and vice versa? The other thing that happened? I began to enjoy sitting down and listening to music less and less. At the end, this mucho-dinero system that had scaled lofty heights of transparency and accuracy would sit for weeks without ever being turned on. It no longer beckoned me. And it finally dawned on me that I truly was an idiot and had traveled down a path of intellectual correctness at the expense of musical correctness. My brain was impressed, but my emotional side that wanted so much to be immersed and connected with the music had been left out in the cold. So am I suggesting that colorations and distortions are good things? Of course not. All I'm saying is that *for me* the path down the road of accuracy and technical truth above all else turned out to be a dead end. An "upgrade" for me now is something that causes my foot to tap a little harder, or the goose bumps to pop a little higher, or the listening session to last a little longer than I had time to give it. If my brain is offended but my foot is tapping harder, the foot wins. What brings about that emotional connection is obviously different for each of us, and of course there is no right or wrong. Just be sure that your involvement and enjoyment goes forward with each step and never takes a step back. Or in other words, don't be Bill. :relaxed:

Bingo! I still think back to the days of Dynaco, Marantz and early ARC tubed gear and wonder where that sound and the satisfaction that came with it go.
That's the thing with my LYR3, it's almost...and I definitely prefer it to my other 2 tube amps. That's one reason Woo's dance through my imagination every day or so and think, huh, point to point wiring and output transformers or OTL..

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,065 of 5,226

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #3,066 of 5,226
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #3,068 of 5,226

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #3,069 of 5,226
AKA -- The Sad Story of @bcowen as Told by His Only Real Friend, Ripper2860. :smirk:

(OK -- that was a good one. My response pales in comparison)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #3,073 of 5,226
Hi Everyone

Is anyone willing to share some of their trusted tube suppliers on eBay? I'm based in the UK (but will purchase worldwide) and seemingly restricted to purchasing from https://www.langrex.co.uk who are great but have limited stock. Would like to purchase more but a bit worried about frying my system with a dodgy tube.

Big thanks,

MFM
Sorry, No. You have to learn to identify tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back