Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2,866 of 5,228
Ooh, I want a Marconi B65 (doh, didn't I just say I have enough tubes?). My list also has an Osram B65 w/ metal base, a Swedish 33S30, and a Telefunken 6SN7, in case anyone has one of those for sale!

After those, I'm done. Really. :wink:

Marconi / Osram (known collectively as MOV) are one and the same really. There were some 33S30's on ebay but were insane prices.

I don't think Telefunken made a 6SN7, there were some east german 6SN7's branded RFT, though.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,867 of 5,228
I don't think the referenced link is actually what you are wanting. Here's what I have and it has been recommended by several here ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Octal-EL...306810?hash=item41f612e1ba:g:jQAAAOSwgVJcEMMQ

Yup! thanks just bought. :)

Question: what, exactly, is a Frankentube?

Tube Rolling Update (a busy holiday break, but it was nice to roll at home rather than at work, which is where my Lyr3 is usually located)::
- Mullard ECC32 - yes, I was crazy and put one of these in my Lyr3 despite some conerns about the output being a bit too strong, but so far it has been fine in a few 1-3 hour sessions. This is #1 for me right now, although it is a fairly minor improvement (a bit more impact in mids and highs, similar bass strength maybe just a hair more detail) over my Mullard ECC33 which was bumped to #2 after I heard the ECC32. Requires a socket saver (or something to lift it up a bit) because the base is a bit too big for the opening on the Lyr3.
- Mullard ECC33 - the champion has been dethroned by the ECC32 version, but it is still an amazing tube.
- Brimar/Elpico ECC32 - yes, another ECC32. The sounds is fantasic, just a notch below the Mullard tubes.
- Brimar CV1988 brown base - outstanding! The ECC32 version seems just a bit nicer (a bit warmer I guess).
- TungSol black glass round plates - fantastic tube, just missing a bit of warmth vs. the English tubes above.
- Foton (Russian) 6H8C (1952) - not bad at all, I was a bit surprised this was keeping up reasonably well with some of the exotic tubes.
- CBS/Hytron 5692 - amazed me when I first heard it, and still sounds the best of my 5692s, but it has been surpassed by some warmer tubes and the TungSol above.
- RCA 5692 red base - the 5692s are all wonderful, and this one is near the top.
- Nevz (Russian) 6N1P-VI - excellent surprise, and incredibly cheap (requires an adapter).
- Raytheon JAN-CRP, US Navy logo, 2-hole plates - another great tube, just a notch below the 5692s above.
- Telefunken ECC82 & 12AX7 - excellent, warm but not too warm, bass might be a bit reduced vs. some of the top tubes. The 12AX7 made a small clicking sound after about 10 minutes and stopped working (I didn't try to re-seat it and make another attempt due to concern about the Lyr3, which is fine, thankfully). Requires an adapter.
- Sylvania 6SN7GT 1955-April, tall, chrome top, green label - better than expected, not much to say other than its a bit less warm than the British tubes.
- Sylvania 6SN7WGT JAN-CHS, chrome top - disappointing tube...mine just seemed a bit weak (bass and treble). I'm hoping to get a deal on another because I think mine is just a bit weak for whatever reason.

I think I have enough tubes at this point (well, a couple of cheap 7N7s are on the way) so I'm going to focus on comparisions and stop worrying about getting new tubes for now. :)

Well what to say, really precious!

Ripper is correct, that is the "lifter" I use, seems to be well made and if I peak inside my LYR3 with its tube removed, the socket looks just like the same white plastic (ceramic?) design.
Keep in mind it's a "lifter" / "socket saver" not a "converter" for using with different tube types with different pin out designations other than 6SN7 types.

Received! :)

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #2,869 of 5,228
Fit best how? Sonically? Physically? Those are all very nice tubes.

They should all be compatible. I don't know if the round globe will physically fit, but you can try it.
The Shuguang 6SN7-SE GLOBE Shuguang Treasure Series is AKA the Psvane 6SN7-SE. My favorite tube (of a few I've used, including Ken Rad VT2131, Sylvania 2-hole Bad Boy) both on the Lyr 3 and on the Apex Peak. No problem with getting it to sit fully in the Lyr 3 socket.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,870 of 5,228
Proper MELZ 1578 is living up to the hype...

Z9c86HO.jpg

6iqzNFB.jpg

vp41bB7.jpg

1969 vintage, was a bit noisy when first rolled in, little bit of hum in the left channel but sorted it out by reflowing the solder in the pins.

I think it has already been used even though the seller states NOS, tests at 2500/2600 micromohs when tested as a 6SN7, maybe russian tubes test lower than 6SN7 i'm no expert.

Sounds fantastic right off the bat.

Soundstage is as wide as a Brimar and really deep, supreme separation of instruments, best i've heard yet, bass maybe a smidgen bloaty/boomy, definitely not dry, fantastic mids, no recess or dryness, treble a tad laid back but detailed, lacks a little extension in the treble.

Definite toe tapper, really engaging and non-fatiguing.

I'd place this tube above a Brimar 6SN7, above the Marconi B65, and it completely trounces the MELZ non hole plate version from the '50's.

My new favourite tube, now to find back-ups. :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,871 of 5,228
Interesting, might be different amps but I find the MELZ tier 2, just under the greats, like 6SN7W, bad boys, TSRP, Brimar 13D2,ECC32/33,B65. I've burned it for a bit, my only on spec tested 6SN7. Out of 30 other tubes even NOS they rarely test balanced and just on spec.
A cheaper soundstage greatness tube is the Sylvania VT99 T plates.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #2,872 of 5,228
Proper MELZ 1578 is living up to the hype...

Z9c86HO.jpg

6iqzNFB.jpg

vp41bB7.jpg

1969 vintage, was a bit noisy when first rolled in, little bit of hum in the left channel but sorted it out by reflowing the solder in the pins.

I think it has already been used even though the seller states NOS, tests at 2500/2600 micromohs when tested as a 6SN7, maybe russian tubes test lower than 6SN7 i'm no expert.

Sounds fantastic right off the bat.

Soundstage is as wide as a Brimar and really deep, supreme separation of instruments, best i've heard yet, bass maybe a smidgen bloaty/boomy, definitely not dry, fantastic mids, no recess or dryness, treble a tad laid back but detailed, lacks a little extension in the treble.

Definite toe tapper, really engaging and non-fatiguing.

I'd place this tube above a Brimar 6SN7, above the Marconi B65, and it completely trounces the MELZ non hole plate version from the '50's.

My new favourite tube, now to find back-ups. :)

And importantly they look pretty as well

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,873 of 5,228
NEVZ 6N8S brown base turned up, rolled in and had a quick listen and sounds a little un-remarkable so far, maybe needs a bit of burn in time. Instantly reminds me of an RCA red base 5692 sonically.

I'll report back once it's burned in.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #2,874 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #2,875 of 5,228
The Shuguang 6SN7-SE GLOBE Shuguang Treasure Series is AKA the Psvane 6SN7-SE. My favorite tube (of a few I've used, including Ken Rad VT2131, Sylvania 2-hole Bad Boy) both on the Lyr 3 and on the Apex Peak. No problem with getting it to sit fully in the Lyr 3 socket.
is it your most expensive tube? That thing costs 3/4ths what a new Lyr costs.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #2,876 of 5,228
is it your most expensive tube? That thing costs 3/4ths what a new Lyr costs.
$200. Lyr costs $499. So, 2/5ths, not 3/4ths. If it makes you feel better, I'm now using the globe on a rather more expensive amp, Apex Peak+Volcano (out of production, bought used), so tube/amp ratio is even lower. The Lyr has a nice but less expensive Sylvania 2-hole Bad Boy.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,877 of 5,228
Jan 6, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,878 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,879 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,880 of 5,228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back