Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,836 of 5,228
hey guys, long time since I checked in. Settled on the Northern Electric this past month and it's really opened up to what I now consider my favorite tube. The WH ring getter started to sound disjointed after many hours. The Bass flabby and out of sync slightly with the highs. Weird. ... but the D getter I'm still liking a lot.

Question: I'm looking at a DAC that puts out 3V RMS instead of the usual 2. Will Lyr 3 accept this happily? Anyone know off hand so I don't have to email Schiit? Their website doesn't specify input voltage range.

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #2,838 of 5,228
I'm looking at a DAC that puts out 3V RMS instead of the usual 2. Will Lyr 3 accept this happily? Anyone know off hand so I don't have to email Schiit?
Even 2V RMS (what for instance my Metrum Onyx puts out) is higher than I like for my headamps, including the Lyr 3, in that if forces me to keep the amp volume far from the middle of the range. I use one of these to lower DAC output to a more reasonable level. A Schiit SYS would do that too, and would be cheaper, but the Tisbury has two outputs, which is ideal for my setup.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #2,839 of 5,228
Without reading thru 189 pages (I'm lazy), can a 6SL7 be used in the Lyr?

It'll work for sure, shares the same pin-out and only half the heater current.

BUT

6SL7 has more than 4 times the plate resistance, 3.5 times the mμ (gain), and needs a 3x smaller cathode resistor.

Can squint your eyes a bit at the specs but doesn't help much, will either sound amazing or total junk.

But we would have never gotten milk from cows unless someone took a look at the udders and thought "Hey, i'm gonna drink whatever comes out of that"

:)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #2,840 of 5,228

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,842 of 5,228

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #2,843 of 5,228
Even 2V RMS (what for instance my Metrum Onyx puts out) is higher than I like for my headamps, including the Lyr 3, in that if forces me to keep the amp volume far from the middle of the range. I use one of these to lower DAC output to a more reasonable level. A Schiit SYS would do that too, and would be cheaper, but the Tisbury has two outputs, which is ideal for my setup.
Brilliant! Its like a more affordable Decware. http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html
I may get one of these Tisbury. Do you find it completely transparent?

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,844 of 5,228
Owww!!!

You guys obviously need to spend some time in Kentucky where the men are men...and so are the women.

(ducking now....go Tarheels).

I'm in Edinburgh at the moment, where the men are men, and the sheep are scared... I had a few drams over the last several days that rival the finest from TN and KY. But hey, why choose... there's enough for everyone.

(Dives into Foxhole with Bill - Go Tigers!! Sent Notre Dame straight home)

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,845 of 5,228
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,846 of 5,228
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,847 of 5,228
hey @earnmyturns - based on a quick search, it seems that the gain in decibels when feeding my amp 3 vs 2 volts is 3.52 dB. Not a huge volume difference. In fact, I think I can digitally attenuate by up to 24 db (6 db stripped per padded bit) before the linear range of my DAC (20 bits) starts to lose resolution with 16 bit source files. Of course hires source files are a different story. Even then, software dither-based volume control can tame 6 dbs easily. I have such a feature with Audirvana+

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm
does this link hold water? Is the logic sound-- that 2 to 3 volts will be a 3.5db gain?

I still may buy the Tinsbury because I've wanted to be able to switch 2 source DACs with 2 headamps without cable swapping. That alone is awesome, but if the attenuation circuit can help me achieve a better dynamic range on my amps - even better!

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,849 of 5,228
Cherry flavored MD 20/20 FTW!!!! :smirk:

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,850 of 5,228
hey @earnmyturns - based on a quick search, it seems that the gain in decibels when feeding my amp 3 vs 2 volts is 3.52 dB. Not a huge volume difference. In fact, I think I can digitally attenuate by up to 24 db (6 db stripped per padded bit) before the linear range of my DAC (20 bits) starts to lose resolution with 16 bit source files. Of course hires source files are a different story. Even then, software dither-based volume control can tame 6 dbs easily. I have such a feature with Audirvana+

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm
does this link hold water? Is the logic sound-- that 2 to 3 volts will be a 3.5db gain?

I still may buy the Tinsbury because I've wanted to be able to switch 2 source DACs with 2 headamps without cable swapping. That alone is awesome, but if the attenuation circuit can help me achieve a better dynamic range on my amps - even better!
I use the Tisbury -10dB preset to feed the Lyr 3 from my Metrum Onyx DAC (2V RMS). Allows me to keep the Lyr 3 volume knob between 10am and 1pm. As far as I can tell, the Tisbury is pretty transparent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back