Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Aug 23, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,216 of 5,228
Worse, I recently learned my father has 'literally thousands' of tubes tucked away somewhere that I'm welcome to sort through. My grandfather was a tv and radio repairman in the 40s and 50s, and he apparently amassed quite a collection. I don't know how many are likely to be 6SN7, but I may be running to this thread with some interesting 'What is this' questions.

@Ripper2860 will be your best friend in 5, 4, 3, 2....... now you're tubeless, ta da!:raised_hands:

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,217 of 5,228
Welcome to the loony bin! And since you're already showing the warning signs of future hoarding, I'll go ahead and get your welcome gift in the mail. :relaxed:

PURGE IT WITH FIRE!

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #1,219 of 5,228
On another note.... I did not go off the deep end. I just went to a local tube dude. He had walls and walls of beautifully displayed tubes - see last pic for just the lower half of one of 8 display cases. If you squint closely enough the "red bottom RCA" is on the left on the 2nd shelf down.

I didn't know too much about what I was looking at (or for). He had the aforementioned famous RCA "Red Bottom" and Ken Rad VT-231's, but I have no idea how to check them, and while the price was in line with expectations, I'm not quite ready to take that kind of leap. So, I decided to stick with trying 4 "families". I got a Sylvania, a Westinghouse (I think it has a D getter, but I have no idea if it's "the" D-Getter), a Ken Rad, and yes.... a GE.

The writing on most of them is so faded out, I have no idea how to check the provenance. I'll just plug 'em in and go from there. Starting with the unknown Ken Rad.
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg
IMG_0734.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg
[Edited to try and fix pictures, but they're not displaying on my editing window - will try to repost or edit]
[2nd Edit - Dang... those are huge... sorry I'll try to resize]
[3rd Edit - I am clearly not an expert... but I think I got it... inserted thumbnails]

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,220 of 5,228
Welcome to the loony bin! And since you're already showing the warning signs of future hoarding, I'll go ahead and get your welcome gift in the mail. :relaxed:

Thank you for the kind welcome and help! That's a lot of postage to Hong Kong, but I get to NC a fair amount to see family and friends... :wink: I guess not aaaaalllllll Tarheel fans are terrible.

Given previous habits with audio, guitars, and chasing "tone" along with headphones and near field monitors being totally new to me, I can see the rabbit hole / black hole expanding. It's fun though, and way easier (and cheaper) to fiddle with sound. Run out, buy some tubes... plug 'em up and go. I love that I just need one.

Seriously, once again, thanks for the kind welcome, the help, and the laugh. Truly a kind bunch here.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #1,221 of 5,228
On another note.... I did not go off the deep end. I just went to a local tube dude. He had walls and walls of beautifully displayed tubes - see last pic for just the lower half of one of 8 display cases. If you squint closely enough the "red bottom RCA" is on the left on the 2nd shelf down.

I didn't know too much about what I was looking at (or for). He had the aforementioned famous RCA "Red Bottom" and Ken Rad VT-231's, but I have no idea how to check them, and while the price was in line with expectations, I'm not quite ready to take that kind of leap. So, I decided to stick with trying 4 "families". I got a Sylvania, a Westinghouse (I think it has a D getter, but I have no idea if it's "the" D-Getter), a Ken Rad, and yes.... a GE.

The writing on most of them is so faded out, I have no idea how to check the provenance. I'll just plug 'em in and go from there. Starting with the unknown Ken Rad.

[Edited to try and fix pictures, but they're not displaying on my editing window - will try to repost or edit]
[2nd Edit - Dang... those are huge... sorry I'll try to resize]
[3rd Edit - I am clearly not an expert... but I think I got it... inserted thumbnails]
I see a WH GTA D getter reliatron. Score!

I wish I had a local guy! Wait, never mind, I would be broke! :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,222 of 5,228
I see a WH GTA D getter reliatron. Score!

I wish I had a local guy! Wait, never mind, I would be broke! :grin:

Well, to be completely fair... it seems I got exceptionally lucky. I'd never heard of such a thing until two days ago, and I didn't even know the store existed until yesterday. I just bought some tubes to play with. So clearly having my first ever tube head-amp is giving me good vibes. I jammed to a bit of Who's Next with the Ken Rad, and again, I have to say that this amp (and the MB DAC along with it) kick some serious a$$.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,224 of 5,228

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,225 of 5,228
Guys,

I'm sending my Lyr 3 to Dave Hansen to include in his review of the Monoprice Cavalli Platinum, thinking ill send one Bad Boy, Ken Rad VT-231, and Bill ”the Pusher Man’s” :wink: WH D-Getters, any other recommendations?

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,226 of 5,228

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,227 of 5,228
That should be an interesting review, Dave's a good reviewer.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,228 of 5,228
That should be an interesting review, Dave's a good reviewer.

He is, I’ve always enjoyed his reviews, plus he’s a really good guy.

@bcowen, I’m a little gun shy on the Foton’s, since the commie b-turd took out my Clear and Lyr-3 :dizzy_face:...

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,229 of 5,228
OK... Since you all have been so helpful, I'll let you laugh at the toob noob...

I freaked out last night thinking I had fried my amp... I was checking to make sure all the tubes were working properly (3 day return period) and swapping them out ever-so carefully.
1) Remove headphone cable
2) Turn off power
3) Remove power cord
4) Swap tube...
Reverse.

I put in the Sylvania... silence... CRAP! :astonished: Put the Ken-Rad back in.... silence.... GUT sinking feeling!!!! :cold_sweat::scream:

Oh... it helps if you plug the headphones back in.... :angry::rolling_eyes::joy:

On a more serious note... can tubes in anyone's experience affect sibilance? If so, is it a property that can improve after a proper burn in? I use Graceland as a rotational "test" album because I'm so familiar with it, and I love it. The Ken-Rad and the Sylvania tubes make Diamonds on the solessssss of her shoesssssss and Homelesssssss almost unbearable. I haven't swapped in the mythical D getter or the GE yet for any real listening. I hope to use some of the weekend for some careful listening to see if I can actually hear some of the differences between tubes and improvement after burn in. I guess I'll need to take notes.. what fun is that..

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,230 of 5,228
OK... Since you all have been so helpful, I'll let you laugh at the toob noob...

I freaked out last night thinking I had fried my amp... I was checking to make sure all the tubes were working properly (3 day return period) and swapping them out ever-so carefully.
1) Remove headphone cable
2) Turn off power
3) Remove power cord
4) Swap tube...
Reverse.

I put in the Sylvania... silence... CRAP! :astonished: Put the Ken-Rad back in.... silence.... GUT sinking feeling!!!! :cold_sweat::scream:

Oh... it helps if you plug the headphones back in.... :angry::rolling_eyes::joy:

On a more serious note... can tubes in anyone's experience affect sibilance? If so, is it a property that can improve after a proper burn in? I use Graceland as a rotational "test" album because I'm so familiar with it, and I love it. The Ken-Rad and the Sylvania tubes make Diamonds on the solessssss of her shoesssssss and Homelesssssss almost unbearable. I haven't swapped in the mythical D getter or the GE yet for any real listening. I hope to use some of the weekend for some careful listening to see if I can actually hear some of the differences between tubes and improvement after burn in. I guess I'll need to take notes.. what fun is that.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I've done the headphones not plugged in thing before as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back