Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,186 of 5,228
Shh I am not getting the tube till next month if it is good if he sells it to me.

:p Lots of ifs.

It's going to take a week for it to get here. I'll test it in my amp to make sure it's not bad. By then it should be ready to send to you. We're good

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,187 of 5,228
:p Lots of ifs.

It's going to take a week for it to get here. I'll test it in my amp to make sure it's not bad. By then it should be ready to send to you. We're good
Well one never knows what could happen.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,188 of 5,228
That's fair.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,190 of 5,228
What kind of sensitive phones?

That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause a hum with the Lyr. Use low gain.

My only other advice would be to know what you want to improve upon from the TS or LISST, and go from there. The Ken Rad black glass, Westinghouse D getter, and 50's Foton tubes are commonly regarded as some of the best for Lyr, but without knowing more I couldn't advise which one to steer you towards.

Thank you. You are correct that it's only (and it's true with other amps too) with some sensitive phones / IEMs. Specifically, Mezze 99 Classics, Oriolus LTD, A&K T8ie MKII, Beyerdynamic Xelento are a few. This is not completely mitigated by low gain, but I don't listen to those on high gain (and rarely if ever using this amp anyway). It is mitigated completely with an iFi IEMatch using the appropriate sensitivity. It's also (to a much smaller extent) evident with HD800S, Mr Speakers Ether C Flow and Focal Clear on high gain, (Clear and Ether sometimes on Low too) all of those vary in impedance and sensitivity. With all that, I was just wondering if some tubes exhibited a bit less hum than others in this amp. It's really not a huge issue at all. Once I turn on the tunes, it's barely audible when listening at soft volumes and not at all at "normal" / "comfortable" levels. tl;dr - just curious if tubes affect it at all. I love this little thing. Now I want to "turn knobs" and fiddle with it for a bit.

Overall, my experience has been to change transducers or entire pieces of equipment to flavor the sound (or just EQ the music), so I couldn't directly say what I'd point to improving. I just want to play a bit and see how big a change some tubes make. While some tubes certainly aren't "cheap", it's more of an experiment for me to play and learn. Honestly, if I never knew there was such a thing as tube rolling, I'd have never given it a second thought. I'd have just listened in bliss and never wondered what I could do to play with it further.

If it helps - To my ears, the Lyr3 -Tung Sol when mated with the HD800S makes a gorgeous combination. I don't like the LISST with the HD800S, but I almost prefer the LISST with the Mezze's and the Clears. It depends on the music. With the closed cans, heck if a tube can help with expanding the soundstage - why the heck not...

I also want to see how changing tubes affects powered monitors (LS50Ws) using it as a pre-amp. I don't currently have it set up this way, but when I tried it for a bit it was fun. I could see buying another one to use that way if the sound works (Note: I use the internal MB DAC in that use case). I think the LS50Ws are more "revealing" than even the HD800S and could use a touch of softening and tube magic in some cases. I listen to a lot of old rock that quite frankly needs the soft touch of a good tube now and again. Running a tube buffer isn't an option when using them direct from digital inputs, which is my situation.

You're generous to offer the help. I really don't "need" to improve anything nor am I looking for something specific, but if it's out there, I'll know it when I hear it... I guess...

Of the 3 you mention I've already found a Ken Rad (but not sure about the black glass) locally, so...

(humming Molly Hatchet) - "I'm traveling down the road, and I'm flirtin' with disaster..."

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,191 of 5,228
Those WH D getters are going so fast, it will make your head spin!

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,193 of 5,228
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,194 of 5,228
Well, since Chef is jumping on PF's eBay purchase, I'll put this one out there for any that might still want a WH D Getter. This is an EICO-branded Westinghouse-made 6SN7GTB tube with the 337 WD MFG code, black offset ladder plates, and a top getter holder confirmed as a D by the seller via private message. (You can just make it out in one of the images)

Listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292683295372?ul_noapp=true

PM excerpt ...
Wish it had been tested!

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,195 of 5,228
Thanks for that! It is on it's way to me :darthsmile:

You’ll love it, the “Bad Boy” and the elusive WH D-Getters are the two tubes I’ve heard in the Lyr 3, followed closely by the KenRad VT-231.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,196 of 5,228
You’ll love it, the “Bad Boy” and the elusive WH D-Getters are the two tubes I’ve heard in the Lyr 3, followed closely by the KenRad VT-231.
I know I will love it. I have had one in my Lyr 3 for weeks now. This is my 5th backup. :grin: I could not pass up a perfectly balanced "Bad Boy", from Brent Jesse. This 1 is going in the amp and the other 5 are backups.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,198 of 5,228
How does the bad boy compare to the vt-231 and wh d getter? I have a sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome dome from 57. Not sure how that compares to a bad boy.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,199 of 5,228
I picked it up, first and only bid, time will tell if it goes in my good or not good pile

I'm glad it was a fellow head-fier. I was tempted to scarf it up, but wanted to let others in on the WH D getter fun. :D

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,200 of 5,228
I picked it up, first and only bid, time will tell if it goes in my good or not good pile
I am not sure if you have a tester, but I would be a bit careful with untested tubes.
How does the bad boy compare to the vt-231 and wh d getter? I have a sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome dome from 57. Not sure how that compares to a bad boy.
Read back a few pages, to read my comparison between the Bad Boy and WH D.

Basically the WH D is neutral to perfection and the Bad Boy is a tad warmer, and has stronger bass. They both have magical mids, with perfect tone. I lean toward the Bad Boy, but would be happy with either one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back