Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #5,011 of 5,228
It is a bit of work. Take out the tube, undo the screws in the back, take off the volume knob, squeeze down on each side of the top plate to slide it forward. Then separate it from the chassis. Take out socket saver. Then everything in reverse.
Sure, you could do it that way… 🥱
That's kinda what I do, except I grab the glass on the tube. Hotter than the base, and the melted flesh fusion is more thorough. 🤣

Or this:

And as extra incentive… chicks dig scars

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,012 of 5,228
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #5,013 of 5,228
It is a bit of work. Take out the tube, undo the screws in the back, take off the volume knob, squeeze down on each side of the top plate to slide it forward. Then separate it from the chassis. Take out socket saver. Then everything in reverse.
lol I guess that's the "proper" way eh, I'm trying to avoid it but if I can't get it out any other way I might have to resort to this.
That's kinda what I do, except I grab the glass on the tube. Hotter than the base, and the melted flesh fusion is more thorough. 🤣

Or this:

Adapter Removal.jpg
lol mine is still below the case, not enough space to grip.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #5,014 of 5,228
lol I guess that's the "proper" way eh, I'm trying to avoid it but if I can't get it out any other way I might have to resort to this.

lol mine is still below the case, not enough space to grip.
🤣

Well, it's best to follow @jonathan c 's method. That way you can swap out the fuse at the same time. 🤣🤣

1669238800830.png

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,015 of 5,228
Something that just popped in my head…
Anybody know what the size of the keyway for octal sockets is? I was wondering if you could find something that could be threaded into it for removal - kinda like changing filters on Ety IEMs . Sure it'd chew up the saver a bit, but like DK said "Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death"

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #5,016 of 5,228
🤣

Well, it's best to follow @jonathan c 's method. That way you can swap out the fuse at the same time. 🤣🤣

1669238800830.png
You had me for a moment until I see price LOL. On Musician Pegasus it's common to upgrade fuse it seems (not at this price).
Something that just popped in my head…
Anybody know what the size of the keyway for octal sockets is? I was wondering if you could find something that could be threaded into it for removal - kinda like changing filters on Ety IEMs . Sure it'd chew up the saver a bit, but like DK said "Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death"
Actually I checked earlier, so the hole in the middle do end and there's "edge" you can grab. So you just need 2 outward 90 degree "pick" to insert in the middle then spread then it would lock onto the edge.

https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-switch-puller

Imagine this, but a lot closer and also point outward. If that makes sense....... lol.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #5,017 of 5,228
You had me for a moment until I see price LOL. On Musician Pegasus it's common to upgrade fuse it seems (not at this price).

Actually I checked earlier, so the hole in the middle do end and there's "edge" you can grab. So you just need 2 outward 90 degree "pick" to insert in the middle then spread then it would lock onto the edge.

https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-switch-puller

Imagine this, but a lot closer and also point outward. If that makes sense....... lol.
Too bad we don't live in a cartoon world, otherwise you could just use a plunger

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #5,018 of 5,228
Oh so I've been told in another thread that if I want to jump to the next level with Lyr 3 I should get the dual adapter from Deyan. For Lyr 3 what would the tube type used in the dual adapter? Is it just 2 6SN7 or something else?

Also I've seen a few classified thread selling Lyr 3 with Tung Sol 6SN7GTB but it's not mentioned much here in this thread (though I didn't read through all 335 pages). Is it not a popular tube? Also how is the old production vs the new production version?

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #5,019 of 5,228
Oh so I've been told in another thread that if I want to jump to the next level with Lyr 3 I should get the dual adapter from Deyan. For Lyr 3 what would the tube type used in the dual adapter? Is it just 2 6SN7 or something else?

Also I've seen a few classified thread selling Lyr 3 with Tung Sol 6SN7GTB but it's not mentioned much here in this thread (though I didn't read through all 335 pages). Is it not a popular tube? Also how is the old production vs the new production version?
You would use a pair of 6J5s or 6C5s or 6P5s or... if by some shrewd bit of luck you had an amp that supports 12V tubes, could use a pair of 12J5s.

The 6SN7 is a pair of 6J5s in a single bottle. But as we know from the prime singularity - one plate, one bottle doctrine is better for our delicate perceptions. :L3000:

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #5,020 of 5,228
if by some shrewd bit of luck you had an amp that supports 12V tubes, could use a pair of 12J5s.
Maybe I don't? Maybe I do??? :wink:
You would use a pair of 6J5s or 6C5s or 6P5s
Though I wonder if I should go 6v version so at least they can share tubes LOL.

Are the 12v version cheaper normally?

Also I've been avoiding twin tube (thought it looked ridiculous visually) for so long why you guys do this to me LOL.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #5,021 of 5,228
Lyr 3 does not support 12v tubes. It won't damage the amp but the tubes will not operate optimally given that Lyr only delivers 6v.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #5,022 of 5,228
Lyr 3 does not support 12v tubes. It won't damage the amp but the tubes will not operate optimally given that Lyr only delivers 6v.
Oh yeah sorry to clarify I already have Project Solstice which supports 12v tubes.

I've been having some serious tube amp showdown (Solstice vs Lyr 3) the last few days LOL (ok I exaggerated, was mostly testing Solstice first, but will throw Magni Piety into the mix later). It's tube season!

Reason I mentioned 6v is so at least it will be usable on both amps. As oppose to buying a 12v set for Solstice and 6v set for Lyr 3.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #5,023 of 5,228
You can use an adapter to connect an external 12V heater power - to use 12V tubes in Lyr as well.

To be fair, there's a larger variety of 6J5/6C5/6P5/6L5 than 12V equivalents. However, you may have heard there's some unique, unicorn 12J5s that are exceptional.

But, why quibble about cross-platform compatibility? Tube rolling implies a herd, a fleet, perhaps an armada of tubes to select from. Sure, can't collect them all - but it's worth trying to. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #5,024 of 5,228
You can use an adapter to connect an external 12V heater power - to use 12V tubes in Lyr as well.
Lol that sounds too complicated maybe I'll stick to 6v for Lyr 3.
To be fair, there's a larger variety of 6J5/6C5/6P5/6L5 than 12V equivalents. However, you may have heard there's some unique, unicorn 12J5s that are exceptional.
I did a quick research on eBay seems like the 6J5 / 12J5 pool is already way smaller than the regular 6SN7 pool. Lol we're falling into a niche of a niche.
But, why quibble about cross-platform compatibility? Tube rolling implies a herd, a fleet, perhaps an armada of tubes to select from. Sure, can't collect them all - but it's worth trying to. :ksc75smile:
Are you trying to tell me I should hoard collect them all like a true pokemon trainer collector?

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #5,025 of 5,228
Lol that sounds too complicated maybe I'll stick to 6v for Lyr 3.
Not complicated at all. You can get the adapters on eBay (at least I think that's where I've seen them - barring that just contact Deyan).
Once you got the adapter, just connect it to your car battery. Simple as… a simple thing?

Speaking of adapters and looking back a few posts…
You ever get that socket saver out?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back