Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #4,187 of 5,228
Psvanes are pretty highly regarded. Not familiar with that particular one, but if it holds true to Psvane DNA, you'll like it. Also -- you may need a 'socket saver' to lift the tube up since Lyr 3 has a deeply recessed socket and the tubes glass is a bit rotund. :wink:

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #4,189 of 5,228
Psvanes are pretty highly regarded. Not familiar with that particular one, but if it holds true to Psvane DNA, you'll like it. Also -- you may need a 'socket saver' to lift the tube up since Lyr 3 has a deeply recessed socket and the tubes glass is a bit rotund. :wink:
Any link for Lyr 3 socket saver? Tia.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #4,190 of 5,228
Well, I got my new Tung Sol to replace the stock JJ tube that came with the Lyr 3, and you guys were right. Big improvement for low money, particularly after little burn-in time.
Thanks all for your advice.
Funny enough I found the reverse to be true for my preferences. But I'm glad you and others enjoy the Tung Sol.
Unfortunately I broke my JJ and now only have the Tung Sol. Good excuse to shop for a new tube!
I welcome suggestions, especially for tubes considered holographic.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #4,191 of 5,228
Jul 2, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #4,192 of 5,228
These pics are from years back, I don't know whether they are still available / out of stock / etc.

I HAVE 2 OF THESE FROM TUBEMONGER
1593691263561.png

I Have 4 of THESE FROM 王龙飞 auakg@suzier.com
1593691285043.png

I got the first 2 for use with a pair of Psvane 6SN7 – UK. The extenders don’t fit flush to the base of the tubes but tightly enough to pass the signal without issue. I have found it difficult to remove the Psvane’s without the extender coming with it so it will just be an extender and not a saver.

I bought the 4 gold plated ones to see if they will seat better.

I only need / use them with the Psvane’s which go into the opening straight without a problem but to remove them, the rocking motion I use rubs against the opening in the top of LYR-3. I don’t need them with standard shaped glass but I use them anyway keeps the cabinet cooler.

You can also check "Antique Electronic Supply" I think they carry savers as well.

If when rolling tubes the saver comes out (or partially out) with the tube that's a good thing. Trying to get just the saver in and out of Schiit's small holes by itself is a trying task. I always attach the saver to the tube before insertion and try and wrangle it out so the socket comes with it or at least remains partially in. Hard too explain but once you try it you'll understand.

Savers are also available for 9 pin tubes like 6DJ8, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #4,193 of 5,228
Funny enough I found the reverse to be true for my preferences. But I'm glad you and others enjoy the Tung Sol.
Unfortunately I broke my JJ and now only have the Tung Sol. Good excuse to shop for a new tube!
I welcome suggestions, especially for tubes considered holographic.
Well, I could send you my slightly-used JJ, and after you get it you could send me your used Tung Sol. Interested?

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #4,194 of 5,228
Well, I could send you my slightly-used JJ, and after you get it you could send me your used Tung Sol. Interested?
Lol. Kind of you to offer. But for the values involved it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me. That and maybe I got either a really good JJ or bad Tung Sol.
I *do* need to make a respectable new tube purchase however. Gotta get on that...

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4,195 of 5,228
Lol. Kind of you to offer. But for the values involved it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me. That and maybe I got either a really good JJ or bad Tung Sol.
I *do* need to make a respectable new tube purchase however. Gotta get on that...
Plus you may find the Tungsol pairs better with your next set of headphones.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #4,196 of 5,228
Well, the very-slightly used JJ is going sit here and just collect dust. So if we can find a way for me to get your address, I'll send it to you for free, expecting nothing in return. I like to see things used and not wasted. And yes, it may be a poor JJ, or it may be that we just like different things. :)

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #4,197 of 5,228
Well, the very-slightly used JJ is going sit here and just collect dust. So if we can find a way for me to get your address, I'll send it to you for free, expecting nothing in return. I like to see things used and not wasted. And yes, it may be a poor JJ, or it may be that we just like different things. :)
Gregg. I like your karma. Tell you what, I'll buy it off you for a fair price instead. Check your PM's.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #4,198 of 5,228
General question: if the Lyr 3 is on, but idle and not playing music, does that still log hours on the tube's productive life span?

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #4,199 of 5,228
Yes, but you also don't want to power cycle on/off for short listens, either. My rule is if I'm not going to listen for over an hour, turn it off. If I'm taking a break and getting back to listening in 1 hours or less, I leave it on. :D

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #4,200 of 5,228
Yes, but you also don't want to power cycle on/off for short listens, either. My rule is if I'm not going to listen for over an hour, turn it off. If I'm taking a break and getting back to listening in 1 hours or less, I leave it on. :D

:confused:

You told me I should turn the amp on and off as fast as I could for a full 5 minutes before I listened to it. I'm on my second replacement power switch now...

Thanks bro

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back