Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #4,171 of 5,228
Psvane UK will just barely fit with the bottom glass almost touching the Lyr 3 case top. An extender/socket saver is a nice-to-have, not a gotta-have, although Lyr 3 runs cooler by lifting the tube up.

Correct on all points.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,172 of 5,228
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #4,173 of 5,228
I got my Lyr 3 this week. My first experience with tubes. I immediately swapped out the stock JJ 6SN7 and put in a Tung Sol 6SN7 I bought online. My first impression was - this sounds just like the solid state amp I already had (JDS Atom), just more power. Pretty clean and tight over the entire FR spectrum. I wasn't hearing any tube magic -nothing remarkable about the sound stage or imaging and no signs of distortion of any kind.
After about 20 hours of listening and burn-in, today I popped the stock JJ 6SN7 back in gave it a try for the first time. Almost immediately I was gobsmacked by increased sound stage - but in particular elements of the sound had more of forward, out-in-front of me sense of depth. Holographic? The bass might be less tight. Having fun sensing all of this.
Am I off base on any of this?

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #4,174 of 5,228

No; this is why people still purchase and use tube gear and manufacturers continue to design and produce tube gear. So you can find the sound, in all its variables, you want to listen to and experience some fun in the process by tube-rolling, combined with a commensurate reduction in your bank account.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #4,175 of 5,228
Cool. Very fun. A little surprised that I enjoyed the stock JJ tube so much vs the Tung Sol since I sort of got the impression people weren't so thrilled with the JJ.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #4,176 of 5,228
On the right is the Tung Sol I received. The vendor measured the balanced triodes as gm = 85. I didn't have a reference point. Is 85 good/acceptable?
20200615_222343.jpg

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4,177 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,178 of 5,228
Yep!

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,179 of 5,228
Impossible to know without reference to the tester used or the tube data for that tester. 85 would be a 'beyond dead' tube in my Hickok 752A where 400 is minimum for a good tube. :) That doesn't mean 85 is a bad number -- could be a NOS value depending on the tester used.
Think that is a common tactic used by some sellers. In case the buyer might have a tester. Like you said the numbers are meaningless without reference points. I know one well known seller in Illinois that showed NOS level readings on a box with 1 triode tested right on minimum the other well below NOS levels and highly unbalanced and extremely noisy. Think you had a similar experience.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #4,180 of 5,228
No; this is why people still purchase and use tube gear and manufacturers continue to design and produce tube gear. So you can find the sound, in all its variables, you want to listen to and experience some fun in the process by tube-rolling, combined with a commensurate reduction in your bank account.
A very similar conversation is going on in this thread.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #4,181 of 5,228
I got my Lyr 3 this week. My first experience with tubes. I immediately swapped out the stock JJ 6SN7 and put in a Tung Sol 6SN7 I bought online. My first impression was - this sounds just like the solid state amp I already had (JDS Atom), just more power. Pretty clean and tight over the entire FR spectrum. I wasn't hearing any tube magic -nothing remarkable about the sound stage or imaging and no signs of distortion of any kind.
After about 20 hours of listening and burn-in, today I popped the stock JJ 6SN7 back in gave it a try for the first time. Almost immediately I was gobsmacked by increased sound stage - but in particular elements of the sound had more of forward, out-in-front of me sense of depth. Holographic? The bass might be less tight. Having fun sensing all of this.
I too am a new Lyr 3 owner and new to tubes. I have the same 2 tubes but my initial impression has been the opposite. The JJ to me sounds more SS and the Tung Sol sounds more tubey, warm, smooth and surprisingly, without loss of detail or resolution. Haven't been able to detect any differences in bass yet. So far my preference is the Tung Sol. I can see how tube rolling can be addicting. While expensive, it's still cheaper than "amp" rolling lol. Enjoy the journey!

Edit: for reference, Lyr 3 is fed by Bifrost 2. I have a separate Mimby/Jotunheim stack as my SS reference.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #4,182 of 5,228
I too am a new Lyr 3 owner and new to tubes. I have the same 2 tubes but my initial impression has been the opposite. The JJ to me sounds more SS and the Tung Sol sounds more tubey, warm, smooth and surprisingly, without loss of detail or resolution. Haven't been able to detect any differences in bass yet. So far my preference is the Tung Sol. I can see how tube rolling can be addicting. While expensive, it's still cheaper than "amp" rolling lol. Enjoy the journey!

Edit: for reference, Lyr 3 is fed by Bifrost 2. I have a separate Mimby/Jotunheim stack as my SS reference.

This is my experience as well, the Lyr3 with my new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB sounds just wonderful when fed by the Bifrost2. Very euphonic, tubey, high toe-tapping factor. The NOS Tung-Sol I have is very similar, but a little cleaner and leaner sounding. Of those, I prefer the new production one.

The JJ, as you said, I felt was more SS-sounding, in the sense that it wasn’t as strong in the “tubey” traits of the Tung-Sol. I haven’t listened to it for some time but I don’t recall hearing any huge difference in soundstage, but it just wasn’t as exciting a listen as the Tung-Sol.

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #4,183 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back