Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 13, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,081 of 5,228
Good choice on the Westinghouse. I haven't heard that particular Sylvania version, but it's hard to go wrong with practically anything Sylvania made in the '50's or earlier. The addiction is now established. :) :)

Popped in the Westinghouse and oh man... wont be checking out the sylvania for a bit. this sounds so good compared to the stock tube. Definitely impressed with tubes so far. coming from a 789 and its just so much more musical.

May 13, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #4,082 of 5,228
Popped in the Westinghouse and oh man... wont be checking out the sylvania for a bit. this sounds so good compared to the stock tube. Definitely impressed with tubes so far. coming from a 789 and its just so much more musical.
I actually had a pre-production 789, courtesy of Drop (Massdrop at the time), and I did not like it for being non-musical.
I definitely WAY prefer tubes!! :wink:

May 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #4,083 of 5,228
I actually had a pre-production 789, courtesy of Drop (Massdrop at the time), and I did not like it for being non-musical.
I definitely WAY prefer tubes!! :wink:
I have gone from tubes to solid state back to tubes. They require more work and commitment but it is about the sound.

May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #4,085 of 5,228
would a multibit dac affect tubes differently than a delta sigma dac?
At the end of the day, both are converting digital signals to analog and a good amp will reproduce what it is given very well. That being said, both multibit and DS DAC's can be greatly affected by power supply and output stage, one can sound better than the other. I have been involved with some blind DAC testing and some DS devices can sound very good and rate well.

May 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #4,086 of 5,228
At the end of the day, both are converting digital signals to analog and a good amp will reproduce what it is given very well. That being said, both multibit and DS DAC's can be greatly affected by power supply and output stage, one can sound better than the other. I have been involved with some blind DAC testing and some DS devices can sound very good and rate well.
Totally agree. I had a mid-range DAC before that was "multibit" (not by Schiit), and I loved it. Used it for a year or little more, but then I auditioned a DAC that the guy refused to tell me what's inside to not bias my opinion... Long story short, it was a DS based and a noticeable upgrade in sound!

May 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #4,087 of 5,228
Totally agree. I had a mid-range DAC before that was "multibit" (not by Schiit), and I loved it. Used it for a year or little more, but then I auditioned a DAC that the guy refused to tell me what's inside to not bias my opinion... Long story short, it was a DS based and a noticeable upgrade in sound!
My local group did a test on 20 DAC’s priced from $300 to $5,000 roughly and 50 people rated them in blind listening. I had two out of order with the final results but there was a pretty amazing consensus. Several were R2R DACs, plenty of DS, etc.

May 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #4,088 of 5,228
My local group did a test on 20 DAC’s priced from $300 to $5,000 roughly and 50 people rated them in blind listening. I had two out of order with the final results but there was a pretty amazing consensus. Several were R2R DACs, plenty of DS, etc.
That is very cool, would love to see your list, at least top 10. Thanks!

May 14, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #4,089 of 5,228
May 14, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #4,090 of 5,228

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #4,091 of 5,228
I've gone from solid state to tubes and no way I'm going back. :)
Yeah I am sticking with tubes and Class A for a while.

May 15, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #4,092 of 5,228
Stupid question. I got a socket saver and a new Tung Sol as the first one I had was starting to sound a bit soft (might be my imagination). I also have a Psvane UK on the way.

I'm noting when rocking the tube out I think it is kind of torquing the board a bit. Is that ok? is there some way to rock the tube out safely?

May 16, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #4,093 of 5,228
Stupid question. I got a socket saver and a new Tung Sol as the first one I had was starting to sound a bit soft (might be my imagination). I also have a Psvane UK on the way.

I'm noting when rocking the tube out I think it is kind of torquing the board a bit. Is that ok? is there some way to rock the tube out safely?
It is not easy to describe how much or how little to rock a tube back and forth. Something that may help is a device to help grasp the tube so it does not slip. This was suggested to my by a friend at Schiit and I absolutely love it for handling tubes, even hot tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/KongNai-Sili...fUQ&hsa_cr_id=6705116630801&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

May 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #4,094 of 5,228

I use a soft flannel cloth to get a firm but gentle grip on the glass...works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EA6D7UE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 16, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #4,095 of 5,228
Disposable exam gloves never slip, I've been using them for decades
A box of 50 or 100 are cheap and you will probably run out before the box does.
You don't even have to put it on, just wrap around the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back