Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 4, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #3,976 of 5,228
That 1578 sure is a nice looking tube. The fact that it has great sonic qualities to back it up puts it high on my list of tubes to get. Price is the only thing keeping me away...

In addition to the Fotons I ordered, I've got a Westinghouse D-getter and a National Union "black glass" on the way.

May 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3,977 of 5,228
That 1578 sure is a nice looking tube. The fact that it has great sonic qualities to back it up puts it high on my list of tubes to get. Price is the only thing keeping me away...

In addition to the Fotons I ordered, I've got a Westinghouse D-getter and a National Union "black glass" on the way.

Hahah 3 is already plenty for now, no :D

May 4, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,979 of 5,228

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,980 of 5,228
May 4, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,981 of 5,228
HI All, I'm new to tube amps... is 1633 tube is 40s RCA "Grey Glass?" its just looks different so Im confused:\...
1588644449039.png

Is it different than this one?

1588644646477.png

Attachments

• 1588644518051.png
    1588644518051.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3,982 of 5,228
The Brimars are excellent and will be tough to beat. The WH are still a resounding YES from me, however. They have a different sound signature than Brimar. Not worse or better - just a bit different. I rate the WH a tad higher the KENRAD VT231, IMHO.
I am in the mood for change and just bought the Sundara as decided to finally buy a 2nd pair of phones besides my HD600s. I have a Westinghouse and have been using with my Lyr3 but was never able to determine if it is a real one. The box it came in stated relatron. If it isn't one, still sounds good but in the mood of change. Ripper2860, I think you have the Sundara? What's your 2nd choice with the Sundara? Brimars? Seem really hard to find and very expensive. How do you like the RCA grey glass? KenRad is interesting but bit more than the RCA and if my WH is better than is it worth it?

May 4, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #3,984 of 5,228
I am in the mood for change and just bought the Sundara as decided to finally buy a 2nd pair of phones besides my HD600s. I have a Westinghouse and have been using with my Lyr3 but was never able to determine if it is a real one. The box it came in stated relatron. If it isn't one, still sounds good but in the mood of change. Ripper2860, I think you have the Sundara? What's your 2nd choice with the Sundara? Brimars? Seem really hard to find and very expensive. How do you like the RCA grey glass? KenRad is interesting but bit more than the RCA and if my WH is better than is it worth it?

I no longer have Sundara,, having upgraded to Ananda and finally Arya, but I loved them while I had them!

If the WH is a GTB Realitron with black ladder / offset plates and top D getter, then it's the one. As far as RCA goes, I have a couple -- a 1945 Gray Class and a 1942 Gray Glass. I'm a bit partial to the 1942, but basically anything 1945 or prior is a good bet. Sonic-wise on Lyr 3, it is a bit more tube-like than most of my other tubes with top-end a bit more rolled off than the WD. A bit warmer sounding tube, if you're looking to warm-up the Sundaras. It has very nice mids and a nice bit of bass punch, although not as extended or reaching as low as the WH or KR. Not bass-shy, just doesn't seem to plow quite as deep. Of course, that's my opinion, with my music, my ears, and my gear.

Warning: If you want a real treat -- pickup a 12AU7 (tube) to 6SN7 (amp) adapter and spring for a Tubemonger Brimar CV-4033 or 4034. I think you will not regret it. :wink:

I can assure you that I did not spend anywhere near that much!! $90 is the max I paid for a Brimar 6SN7GT clear glass and $105 for a Brimar / Marconi Black Glass. Hell, I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of Brimar brown-base CV1988s, but then again, I'm a cheapskate. :wink:

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #3,985 of 5,228
HI All, I'm new to tube amps... is 1633 tube is 40s RCA "Grey Glass?" its just looks different so Im confused:\...

Is it different than this one?

Edited.

There seems to be confusing info. Some I've found says it is an early 6SN7 equivalent, but other info seems to indicate 25v heater element whereas 6SN7 has a 6.3v heater element.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #3,986 of 5,228
Edited.

There seems to be confusing info. Some I've found says it is an early 6SN7 equivalent, but other info seems to indicate 25v heater element whereas 6SN7 has a 6.3v heater element.

Got it. Thank you!

Regarding Westinghouse reliatron you mentioned in prev. Posts. What is the exact model, I can't find 6sn7 reliatron on eBay for some reason.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #3,988 of 5,228
Another question... Is ken rads clear glass any different vs black?

According to this guy, there is no difference:
"Despite many discussions on the topic of Black vs Clear, there are no difference – sound wise – between clear glass and black glass versions of Ken-Rad 6SN7 tube. I tried to find them in multiple amps, but failed."
http://tubemaze.info/tag/6sn7/page/2/

Brent Jessee says on his site that the clear glass is "nearly identical to Ken Rad VT-231"
http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

Also, see what bcowen says about recognizing the D-getter:
On the Westinghouse, check out the tube on the right in this listing (not suggesting you buy this particular listing, just linking it for the picture which is good at showing what to look for):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-W...395048?hash=item1f0d603528:g:9hUAAOSwZBhed76X

Tall bottle, chrome top with black ladder-style plates that are offset from each other (one is more 'left' and the other is more 'right' if that makes any sense) and then the D-getter up top. Some may refer to it as a horseshoe getter as those terms are used interchangeably a lot. Some of these are labeled as "Reliatron" and some aren't, but I can't tell any difference between the two sonically. You can also find these under other brand names -- I have one labeled as Coronado that's clearly the WH-D, and there may be other branding as well.

May 5, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #3,989 of 5,228
I no longer have Sundara,, having upgraded to Ananda and finally Arya, but I loved them while I had them!

If the WH is a GTB Realitron with black ladder / offset plates and top D getter, then it's the one. As far as RCA goes, I have a couple -- a 1945 Gray Class and a 1942 Gray Glass. I'm a bit partial to the 1942, but basically anything 1945 or prior is a good bet. Sonic-wise on Lyr 3, it is a bit more tube-like than most of my other tubes with top-end a bit more rolled off than the WD. A bit warmer sounding tube, if you're looking to warm-up the Sundaras. It has very nice mids and a nice bit of bass punch, although not as extended or reaching as low as the WH or KR. Not bass-shy, just doesn't seem to plow quite as deep. Of course, that's my opinion, with my music, my ears, and my gear.

Warning: If you want a real treat -- pickup a 12AU7 (tube) to 6SN7 (amp) adapter and spring for a Tubemonger Brimar CV-4033 or 4034. I think you will not regret it. :wink:

I can assure you that I did not spend anywhere near that much!! $90 is the max I paid for a Brimar 6SN7GT clear glass and $105 for a Brimar / Marconi Black Glass. Hell, I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of Brimar brown-base CV1988s, but then again, I'm a cheapskate. :wink:
I'm waiting for a pair of brimar brown-base CV1988 tested NOS, few people even bid on it lol! Happy to have won the auction.
But.. tracking is stuck. Seller has not brought the item to the post yet, starting to get a little worried.. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back