Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #3,856 of 5,228
Hey guys,

I bought a Northern Electric 6SN7 Tube for my Lyr 3. After a few days, I would get no audio in my left ear. Swapping tubes back to the stock JJ 6SN7, it worked fine. Any idea why that might be the case?

Sounds like a dead tube, if you are lucky it could just be the solder and you could have a go at reflowing it. @bcowen can guide you through the process, he is a master now I hear :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,857 of 5,228
Welcome!!

Sounds like a defective tube. Northern Electric tubes seem to be pretty well regarded, so I'd contact the seller and seek a replacement.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #3,858 of 5,228
Hey guys,

I bought a Northern Electric 6SN7 Tube for my Lyr 3. After a few days, I would get no audio in my left ear. Swapping tubes back to the stock JJ 6SN7, it worked fine. Any idea why that might be the case?

It sounds like the Northern Electric tube is defective. Sometimes tubes break, unfortunately.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #3,859 of 5,228
Hey guys,

Tube’s broken I’m afraid :disappointed:
Bad connection in one of the pins or triode sections, short, heater failure, could be any of a number of things. If you got a warranty with the tube purchase, now is the time to use it.

Feb 27, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #3,861 of 5,228

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #3,862 of 5,228
Hi folks, i am new here. I have been experimenting with some tubes in my new acquired Schiit Lyr 3. The best results in combination with Fiio M11 Pro and Hifiman Arya headphones i achieved with early 50s Sylvania 6SN7 GTA tube (green label, long base). The sound is very lively, big, spacious, with amazing clarity and tight bass, still very musical and with excellent imaging. For example the stock JJ 6SN7 tube sounded much darker and muddy in comparison, with much less detail and overall worse dynamics.

Early 50s Sylvania 6SN7 GTA tubes are excellent, still affordable, really recommended!

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #3,863 of 5,228
I'm mostly (temporarily?) retiring from 6SN7 and 7N7. If you are interested in a bargain, I'll be posting on the FS thread today. Helpful regulars here (you know who you are) deserve a break, PM me :) FS posted!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,864 of 5,228
Well, don't be a stranger. I always look forward to your posts.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #3,865 of 5,228
Well, don't be a stranger. I always look forward to your posts.
Thanks, I'll keep reading this good thread, never know when I may re-6SN7-up :)

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #3,866 of 5,228
I'm mostly (temporarily?) retiring from 6SN7 and 7N7. If you are interested in a bargain, I'll be posting on the FS thread today. Helpful regulars here (you know who you are) deserve a break, PM me :) FS posted!

Damn, pretty good deal there for the whole package!
Sadly I'm in Europe and I just bought a Shuguang Treasure Globe GF Edition and have a Psvane CV181-TII on the way.
As my Lyr 3 came with some crappy Russian 6H8C instead of the Tung Sol or JJ they come with in America the difference was very noticeable to say the least, my Lyr changed from a mediocre sound to a really smooth and full-bodied one. Still have to get to know it better though.
Glad I didn't go with the Modi/Magni/Vali stack after all, I have a Bifrost and Jotunheim on the way now, I think it will be a much nicer stack for me and the phones I'd to use with them.

On another note, if someone is looking for some Vali 2 tubes, I have an Ediswan ECC88 and Valvo E288CC gold pin I never used, just got to find the energy to put them up for sale. I do have plenty energy, just can't seem to direct it towards taking pictures and making for sale posts. :wink:

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,867 of 5,228
Anybody else with a Lyr and some other Schiit stuff of the same size?
Is it normal the silver color is really visibly different?
The Jotunheim I just received is a lot lighter than the Lyr and there are no prints below the two switches or Low Gain and SE input.
I'm starting to think I received B-stock and at the higher price compared to the US we pay here (607€ with 4490 Dac) I'm not sure if I should find that acceptable.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,868 of 5,228
Anybody else with a Lyr and some other Schiit stuff of the same size?
Is it normal the silver color is really visibly different?
The Jotunheim I just received is a lot lighter than the Lyr and there are no prints below the two switches or Low Gain and SE input.
I'm starting to think I received B-stock and at the higher price compared to the US we pay here (607€ with 4490 Dac) I'm not sure if I should find that acceptable.

I've noticed that the aluminum cases can have a slightly different hue. For example, my Saga was stacked on top of my Bifrost 2 (since returned), and I noticed that the Bifrost 2 had a very slightly more golden hue than the Saga. Not a huge difference, but sometimes noticeable depending on the light.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #3,869 of 5,228
I've noticed that the aluminum cases can have a slightly different hue. For example, my Saga was stacked on top of my Bifrost 2 (since returned), and I noticed that the Bifrost 2 had a very slightly more golden hue than the Saga. Not a huge difference, but sometimes noticeable depending on the light.

Yep, that's it. The Lyr has a champagne hue and the Jot a cold silver hue. The difference was enough to definately notice it as soon as I put them together.
And then the missing print below the switches? B-stock?

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,870 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back