Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3,826 of 5,226
I'm in Europe, I can't use the 115V B-Stock from the US.
Never much clearance items on the UK sites and on the EU site they don't do clearance.

Understood.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,827 of 5,226
You could always buy a JJ from Schiit for $25.00 to throw in the mix.

JJ is definitely with a try.
It is worth mentioning though, that although Schiit doesn’t carry the Tung-Sol now, it is still readily available from elsewhere.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #3,828 of 5,226
True.

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #3,830 of 5,226
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #3,831 of 5,226
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,832 of 5,226
Its new.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #3,834 of 5,226
Got the Lyr finally and I like it, quite a nice step up from the smaller Schiit stacks.
It came with a Russian 6H8C tube though and the one I ordered extra from them was the same instead of a JJ or Tung-Sol.
So I ordered those Treasure Globes from the link in Canada you gave me, should have them in about 3 weeks with those annoying customs here.
Wondering if I'd buy these clear Sophias as well: https://www.sophiaelectric.eu/us/b/6sn7/0?r=161 .

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #3,835 of 5,226
Got the Lyr finally and I like it, quite a nice step up from the smaller Schiit stacks.
It came with a Russian 6H8C tube though and the one I ordered extra from them was the same instead of a JJ or Tung-Sol.
So I ordered those Treasure Globes from the link in Canada you gave me, should have them in about 3 weeks with those annoying customs here.
Wondering if I'd buy these clear Sophias as well: https://www.sophiaelectric.eu/us/b/6sn7/0?r=161 .

Schiit recently switched the premium tube option to the JJ instead of the Tung-Sol, but both are very good new production tubes in my experience. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend giving them a try also. They are both at about $25 and imho holds their own pretty well compared to some similarly NOS tubes as well as some more expensive ones.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #3,836 of 5,226
Schiit recently switched the premium tube option to the JJ instead of the Tung-Sol, but both are very good new production tubes in my experience. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend giving them a try also. They are both at about $25 and imho holds their own pretty well compared to some similarly NOS tubes as well as some more expensive ones.

I can't get the JJ ones from Schiit EU or UK, only US.
A $25 tube from would cost me about 100€ with shipping, 31% tax on the tube + on the shipping and a 35€ administrative cost.
I ordered a tube for the Vali and a Pyst cable a few weeks ago, cost me about the same.
So for 100€ I think it would be better to look somewhere else.
Ordering in the US too is expensive from here, certainly for lower priced items.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #3,837 of 5,226

I have no experience with the clear Sophia, maybe the same as the blue, maybe not. Tube rolling is like going to a buffet where you've never experienced tasting any of the dishes before. Someone can tell you how this or that dish tastes to them. They can never tell you how it will taste to you. With tubes for audio that can be an expensive taste test, but it's the only way we can know for sure how a given tube will sound to us. Maybe different, maybe the same. We pay to play and gain experience.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #3,838 of 5,226
I can't get the JJ ones from Schiit EU or UK, only US.
A $25 tube from would cost me about 100€ with shipping, 31% tax on the tube + on the shipping and a 35€ administrative cost.
I ordered a tube for the Vali and a Pyst cable a few weeks ago, cost me about the same.
So for 100€ I think it would be better to look somewhere else.
Ordering in the US too is expensive from here, certainly for lower priced items.

I feel your pain, ordering from the US is associated with significant shipping costs, import fees and taxes for me too. I get 25% tax and a $10 import fee on top for everything ordered from outside EU. Not as much as you but that still makes a $25 item into a $42 item (excluding shipping).

Fortunately both the Tung-Sol (manufactured in Russia) and the JJ (manufactured in Yugoslavia I think) are also available from elsewhere, closer to home. I found some listings on eBay for example; new Tung-Sol (UK £20, Germany €29), JJ (Germany €20) by searching for “tung-sol 6sn7 new” and “jj 6sn7 new”. :)

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #3,839 of 5,226

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3,840 of 5,226
Not to derail things, but just out of interest who does that 35 euro administrative fee go to? The post/carrier, or the government? Kinda sounds like another tax by another name. :)
It goes to me, Bill. How do you think I manage to buy of those nice tubes? :wink:
Joking aside, I guess I should stop complaining about California's 10% sales tax... (which now eBay adds to EVERY purchase, regardless of seller location)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back