1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....

First

Back
211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230
Next

Last
  1. Zachik
    Phew... That's a relief :wink:

2. Ripper2860
    Feeling a wee bit inadequate there Bill? :D

OK -- seriously, i have to get a 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter so I can try 12au7's for VH2 on Lyr 3. And while I'm at it, I should pickup some 6sn7 to 6922 adapters to try my plethora of 6sn7s in VH2. :wink:

bcowen likes this.
  3. bcowen
    You mean you don't already have those adapters? I'm disappointed.

4. tafens
    Size doesn’t matter, isn’t that what they say? :wink:
    Please tell how it did compared to its bigger brothers :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  5. Wes S
    The 12AU7 is one heck of a popular tube, at the moment! It seems that every tube rolling thread, no matter the amp, has gone to the 12au7? I think I should start stocking up on some Mullard Square getter long plates 12au7, before they are gone. . .

6. Zachik
  7. bcowen
    Yes, that's a genuine Frankie evidenced by the continuous oval (racetrack) shape of the bottom mica. However, that tube doesn't test very well. The Sencore TC162 tester doesn't have numeric values on its meter for emission, and if the seller is using the microamp scale to arrive at those numbers, the tube is barely in the 'good' range. If it was selling for $10 it may be worth it, but at $25 plus $8 shipping it's not a very good deal.

Frankie.jpg

FLTWS and Zachik like this.
  8. ilikepooters
    Specs are pretty close to 6SN7 too, only cathode resistor is the only spec that sorta wildly different.

9. Wes S
    I wont be trying them in Lyr, as I am happy with my 6sn7, but I do plan on building a bottlehead crack, that was actually made with the 12au7, and the reason to maybe stock up now.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  10. ProfFalkin
    The above mentioned Mullard long plates are amazing in the Crack. It's what I use. Got mine from Brent Jesse

Wes S likes this.
  11. OldSkool
    Another great option is a Woo WA2 with adapters. I'm using TFK ECC801S (12AT7) now but the 6SN7 Sylvania Bad Boys were sounding amazing as well.

12. bcowen
    Spent some time listening last night and this afternoon. I think the best descriptor for this tube in the Lyr 3 is: rich. Like that chocolate volcano cake sitting in a puddle of hot fudge in a fancy restaurant, the portion big enough to feed a third world country and you're suddenly a borderline diabetic after the third bite. Oodles of bass, but not defined all that well. HUGE soundstage, lots of treble detail without sounding hyped or artificial. Not dramatically dynamic, but livable in that area. I can see this tube being a potentially nice match with some 'phones that are thin in the bass and/or have an overall lean character. Not tripping my trigger with the Aeons though. Since I have the adapter in there, might as well give the CIFTE, Tungsram, Telefunken, and Tesla a try and maybe give the Sylvania 6189 a whirl...

tafens and Ripper2860 like this.
  13. Yviena
    Seems that the psvane UK isn't really a good match for HD800, treble is sometimes too much, and it makes the headphones feel closed-in compared to the melz, taking away the large soundstage their known for, my previous amp a torpedo+e90cc tubes did a much better job there but it had less clarity, bass.

The MELZ though feels much more open in the soundstage but bass/dynamics, and treble suffers a little compared to the psvane.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. ilikepooters
    Brimar might be better match for HD800, overall a warmer tube, wider too but the treble is more refined compared to MELZ.

MELZ 1578 does seem a tad warm to me in Lyr 3 but Brimar definitely warmer.

15. Yviena
    Which brimar model are you talking about, the black glass one or?

First

Back
211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230
Next

Last