Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,371 of 5,228
Emptied my wallet of its $23.70 (including shipping) with this:

10182859.jpg

Guys... remind me again, because my math may have failed me the first few times I counted. How many tubes does the lyr 3 use to operate?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,372 of 5,228
You're having way too much fun here. So I figured I'd barge in uninvited and all. :relaxed:

(FrankenBrutus) is in the CBI now getting some warmth...be interesting to hear what it sounds like. But all in all, even if FrankenBrutus doesn't make the cut, I got two genuine, nice testing Frankies for $11.85 a piece. :relaxed:

He shoots...
He SCORES!!!!!!

This kid is a phenom...

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,373 of 5,228
I've been w/o anything but a phone (Tidal DLs) and IEMs all week while traveling. 1st world problems, I know.

I have had a glorious morning. I slept in my own bed last night, woke up well-rested, and had a peaceful 4 hours of uninterrupted music before my bride awoke to provide me with the list of things we needed to get done today.

That time has not gone to waste... I caught up on my head-fi and got to do some relaxed listening. I am, by nature, a morning person. It's when my head is most clear, and I do my best thinking.

What's important is that I finally got a chance to tick off some recommendations.

I listened to:

Rodrigo Y Gabriela's 9 Dead Alive and their self-titled album through the Lyr3 + D-Getter => HD820 - Just incredible. Read the news, posted a few snarky comments to the boards, and finished my e-mails.
I think it was @earnmyturns that put me onto them. Thanks! Your recommendations in both tubes and tunes are spot on! I had listened to them before after a post, but not through this gear. Well worth it.

After that musicgasm, I wanted to swap out one tube (one tube only, Vasili) to goof around.... why not?!

I switched to the Jadis (manufactured by Shu Guang). I was curious since we'd been posting recently about Shu Guang (or Shuguang) how their current tubes stack up. I admit that I kind of forgot about this little (not really) guy. I had taken heed and got all the tubes over 100 hours. When this tube got out of the rotation for burn-in, I stuck it on a shelf and focused on the PSVane and D-Getter. So, I had really only given it a couple hours pre-burn-in previously.

I wasn't doing any A/B or serious listening. I wanted to relax, have my coffee and continue to catch up on the world. However, I did want to compare it to the D-Getter, so I thought I'd just listen to the first few tracks of 9 Dead Alive again. Next thing I knew, the album was over. It may have been the choice of tunes, the rested mind, or the tube, but I did not "think" about the music. I was in bliss. I got goosebumps at one point in a song called Sunday Neurosis. It's a good tube. I'll keep it.

I don't think I'm going to try and find a "favorite" tube. That could be an exercise in futility. I am happy that I know I have 3 very good tubes. Now I have to work my way through the rest. Again, 1st world problems. :)

Side note - I've got the EMI solved with this set-up, but has anyone else experienced a ground (maybe) issue w/ their Lyr3? There's always been a slight hum on high gain with almost any tube, but when I place my hand on the chassis, it increases. If I place my hand on the chassis AND my laptop (MacBook Pro) it goes dead silent. Any thoughts? The only thing plugged into mains is the Lyr. Laptop is on battery => USB to Lyr3 MB card.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #2,374 of 5,228
Welcome back! Sounds like a perfect start to the day. Wise move on the search for the holy-grail of tubes. If you have 2-3 that you really enjoy, call it mission accomplished. I have and only wished I'd done so sooner. :D

As for the hum issue -- that's a bizarre one and will leave it to those more well versed in troubleshooting and isolating those pesky hum issues.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #2,375 of 5,228
Treason?

XXCkK-5Czl7cQ5GLQLnGAWny-TadBJQJO4iTS9KBfXM9bcQkNR8gxStfZcskjy09qG33ul5F6Skwmm51_WRi8ncUvcCc8SXUb5hMdvNnJLwHuQeGrbPmgAuUxUof3nvuho7PcxBYb47MbJjWZNlVd0HU4olqy73qAc8H0qcnnNnPNEYIGIOrJoMRvz6MoW28MHbCgLZbZgAyPSC1tpvGg1eMjGHa7PymiRSDACcZRt6W2PtTPdqLeJbGjYY7aHtDeZNByi0Yi51qt9wcF630BikUvNdRhbjcWtDAMDE0Rs6BN3VOXCuVOvG2a3HFw7BUnWH_Om-VTWy5byKtiWjqHDleIbofLGqXXcmybsqHsCoW-Vx0WsOXLaWOQPsokfUt4s5YanQhIZwAAfDV-TpINly2fIqUn9nGdr-XFthEvVA_sY4ogpBCA5z0eW1OHdjqoY2XcX_wO-0XNZAiLSWTG86SLj1RpKekevUCqeAygDcng3meoq8CbyONYqe_EFAZ5sqlqxsJDeOW3XNc9yR3NGoy-0EQDuhA990VEDqUksVR3Oo3dkoudQ_e817U89_u6B-qbjWkKQD9vcSJY9taAqkS3ye_k1kgSrWY04rrPajooYfCI9-ujyVw2Q=w702-h936-no

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,376 of 5,228
More like 'slumming'. :wink:

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,377 of 5,228
Got a short response from Jason at Schiit regarding my heater current question.

Sorry for the slow response. We've been making changes to support to ensure that we don't miss tickets like yours again.

With respect to your question: I'm afraid not. Please don't use any tube other than the recommended tubes in Lyr 3.

Short response, but tubes like ECC32 (or proper CV181's) that draw 950mA of heater current are a no-no.

ShuGuang CV181-Z is not a proper CV181 reading the spec sheet so safe to use:

http://grantfidelity.com/site/files/shuguang treasure tube spec cv-181.pdf

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #2,378 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #2,379 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,380 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,381 of 5,228
Guys... remind me again, because my math may have failed me the first few times I counted. How many tubes does the lyr 3 use to operate?

Only one ...

at a time!! :wink:

And if all one needed was one type of burger, why does McD's have several?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,382 of 5,228

From the seller's pictures, I could see 3 Frankies for sure and a possible 4th. Got them today, and there were in fact 3 Frankies, 2 mini Frankies, an imposter, and a surprise. 2 of the genuine Frankies tested out very nicely with NOS-level GM and well balanced triodes. The 3rd not so good. One triode was fine, and the other caused the Hickok's meter needle to bop all over the place. Oh well. Trash needed emptied anyway. The 2 mini Frankies tested nicely too. Then the surprise. It has the plates and getter of a Frankie, but the bottom mica is a rounded rectangle rather than a racetrack. That's normally the telltale sign of an imposter, except that this imposter has an additional copper rod support as well as some additional spring supports for the top mica. A ruggedized Frankentube? As if the 7N7 wasn't a ruggedized design anyway. It's in the CBI now getting some warmth...be interesting to hear what it sounds like. But all in all, even if FrankenBrutus doesn't make the cut, I got two genuine, nice testing Frankies for $11.85 a piece. :relaxed:

[/QUOTE]

I wish I can "Empty" my wallet like this!

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,383 of 5,228
I just wish I had a wallet... :unamused:

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,384 of 5,228
So just switched out the foton. Back to a westinghouse top O halo getter. The foton had a wider soundstage and depth, but lacked that creamy velvety tube goodness. The foton didn't do anything wrong, but it's going to stay in the friend zone tube for now. Not ready to have a relationship with that tube. :smile_phones:

going to be listening to the westy for the rest of the afternoon. then switch back to a franken for comparison.

am looking for an all in one dac /amp for my kid. doesn't want a tube. am thinking about giving him my jds element. or maybe look for a used audio-gd 11.28? any thoughts?

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,385 of 5,228
Maybe it's for the best. Who knows where a $15 Russian tube has been. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back