Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #2,356 of 5,228
If it feels good do it!

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,357 of 5,228
A quick impression of the ShuGuang Treasure series CV181-Z (6SN7GT) tube...
....{snip}.....4. It looks insane in Lyr 3. I'm vacillating between it looking cool and it resembling a gangrenous swollen big toe due to the shape and black-glass coatings. (I think I'll stick to listening to it as opposed to looking at it.)
5. At first I thought I had a slight crackle in the tube in-between music tracks and thought I might need to re-flow solder on the pins, but after extended listening, this issue has not recurred...{snip}....
Have you posted an image of it at work? I'm imagining it looking like a morchella mushroom.
So, what I'm picking up here is that one can modify and/or repair tubes within its vacuum-glass-bulb enclosure. With a soldering iron. Liquefying solder points.
Christ.
Nice.
:ksc75smile:

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #2,358 of 5,228
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,359 of 5,228
Schiit's getting ridiculous:

agIuflF.jpg

I'm guessing this isn't what Schiit had in mind when they suggested we can use adaptors :o2smile:

jdp6AwN.jpg

The Osram L63's i haven't had a proper listen yet, just loaded up the adaptor and chucked in the tube tester to make sure no cross-wired or shorts, had a listen for a couple of minutes and... yes. Based on an initial 2 minute quick listed, they are up there.
Will have a proper go later when missus stops hogging the TV (use it as my PC monitor)
...just did a spit-take on a Friday morning. THOSE photos are awesome... Frankensteining at its finest? This proto-tuber thinks so. You made my morning...

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,360 of 5,228
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,361 of 5,228
That film looks amazing lol... Sadly I was just quoting from Peep Show. Although that is an amazing comedy!
Oh it is. It is. My wife took me to THAT when we were checking-each-other-out back in 1989-95. And other flicks... Quadraphenia... Tommy...Flesh Gordon.... Oh those winter nights at the Student Union Building at UBC....:ksc75smile:

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #2,363 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #2,364 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,365 of 5,228
Rolled back in a Brimar orange print clear glass (One of the 3 i recenty snaggeg on ebay, this is the most used of the 3) to compare to the Osram L63's and i've got to say they sound remarkably similar.

I think British tubes have a distinctive "house sound" sounding quite rich and laid back but also detailed in a smooth way. I like the British "tubeyness"

Reminds me of the Mullard E88CC's i tried back in the Lyr 1 days but way more open sounding like the soundstage of a good Siemens E88CC / CCa.

I've also tried the Westinghouse branded 5692 as pictured below:

FM18xSd.jpg

Note the 337 marking, i think Westinghouse actually did make 5692's if only in small quantity, guessing they bought tooling from GE or RCA. There is one still for sale on ebay for a reasonable price and i think it's well worth the money.

This tube is also the real deal when it comes to sound, it's not unlike the Brimars or Osrams, the mids being a tad more upfront and not as liquid, but the tube sounds very wide compared to the RCA Red base 5692 which i found sounded very solid if a tad unexciting.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #2,366 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,367 of 5,228
You're having way too much fun here. So I figured I'd barge in uninvited and all. :relaxed:

Emptied my wallet of its $23.70 (including shipping) with this:

From the seller's pictures, I could see 3 Frankies for sure and a possible 4th. Got them today, and there were in fact 3 Frankies, 2 mini Frankies, an imposter, and a surprise. 2 of the genuine Frankies tested out very nicely with NOS-level GM and well balanced triodes. The 3rd not so good. One triode was fine, and the other caused the Hickok's meter needle to bop all over the place. Oh well. Trash needed emptied anyway. The 2 mini Frankies tested nicely too. Then the surprise. It has the plates and getter of a Frankie, but the bottom mica is a rounded rectangle rather than a racecar. That's normally the telltale sign of an imposter, except that this imposter has an additional copper rod support as well as some additional spring supports for the top mica. A ruggedized Frankentube? As if the 7N7 wasn't a ruggedized design anyway. It's in the CBI now getting some warmth...be interesting to hear what it sounds like. But all in all, even if FrankenBrutus doesn't make the cut, I got two genuine, nice testing Frankies for $11.85 a piece. :relaxed:

Braggart!

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,368 of 5,228

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,369 of 5,228
The W's all have a nice rod and according to the wife -- so do I. :wink:

Seriously -- I suspect the tube with the freestanding support rod is a Sylvania 6SN7W doppelganger. Nice score!! :thumbsup:

Perhaps if you ever actually listen to the W's that you purchased recently, you could provide a comparison. :smirk:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,370 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back