Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #286 of 305
I’m using both RCA and Balanced in/out at the same time going into different amps. I can’t detect any difference in sound quality or should I say that the Lokius isn’t adding any noticeable sound of its own to my system.
Good to hear, will also be going Balanced and RCA IN&OUT

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #287 of 305
Good to know, maybe same if you go balanced In & Out
Nope. Just RCA-In.

Correct, since the Lokius does all the EQ-ing as single-ended (this is discussed in the Lokius announcement post in the Schiit thread), when it's turned off it just becomes a passive pass-through.

Although I did read Jason say somewhere that passing signal through an powered-off device can cause distortion (perhaps due to adding an impedence load?). I haven't heard it from an un-powered Lokius though.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #288 of 305
Correct, since the Lokius does all the EQ-ing as single-ended (this is discussed in the Lokius announcement post in the Schiit thread), when it's turned off it just becomes a passive pass-through.

Although I did read Jason say somewhere that passing signal through an powered-off device can cause distortion (perhaps due to adding an impedence load?). I haven't heard it from an un-powered Lokius though.
I better go both balanced and RCA In and keep the Lokius on all time.
Will be able to compare all scenarios .

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #289 of 305
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #290 of 305
Since I will be using balanced cables IN & OUT of the Lokius (which prices are way more expensive than the Lokius itself - Blue Truth cables
https://bettercables.com/products/b...dio-interconnect-cable?variant=36420517560474)
and since the Lokius internal processing and probably wiring is single ended. Am really wondering will it still be a real balanced connection through the Lokius in by-pass mode ??? or it defies the whole idea of balanced connection ?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #291 of 305
Since I will be using balanced cables IN & OUT of the Lokius (which prices is way more expensive than the Lokius itself - Blue Truth cables
https://bettercables.com/products/b...dio-interconnect-cable?variant=36420517560474)
and since the Lokius internal processing and probably wiring is single ended. Am really wondering will it still be a real balanced connection through the Lokius in by-pass mode ??? or it defies the whole idea of balanced connection ?
Whew. Good. So if I put this thing in Bypass mode, it’s really bypassed?
Yes. No active devices in the signal path at all. Feel free to compare the processed output to the raw feed. We think you’ll be impressed. (But some people think we’re insane.)

That's from their FAQ, which I am interpreting to mean that it's "really" balanced when bypassed.

The "feel free to compare the processed output to the raw feed" bit is Schiit excellently challenging you to hear the difference between "bypassed and really balanced" and "flat but converted to single-ended". I'm sure the Topping A90 crowd that can hear the difference between -137db and -147db can.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #292 of 305
Whew. Good. So if I put this thing in Bypass mode, it’s really bypassed?
Yes. No active devices in the signal path at all. Feel free to compare the processed output to the raw feed. We think you’ll be impressed. (But some people think we’re insane.)

That's from their FAQ, which I am interpreting to mean that it's "really" balanced when bypassed.

The "feel free to compare the processed output to the raw feed" bit is Schiit excellently challenging you to hear the difference between "bypassed and really balanced" and "flat but converted to single-ended". I'm sure the Topping A90 crowd that can hear the difference between -137db and -147db can.
That can also means i better use RCA input when i only need RCA Out instead of going through balanced in and get the signal out through RCA Out specifically for bypass mode.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #293 of 305
That can also means i better use RCA input when i only need RCA Out instead of going through balanced in and get the signal out through RCA Out specifically for bypass mode.
The real advantage to RCA is you can run RCA in and out with the unit powered off. If you're balanced in, you need to keep it on.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #294 of 305
Since I will be using balanced cables IN & OUT of the Lokius (which prices is way more expensive than the Lokius itself - Blue Truth cables
I find WBC mogami balanced cables excellent and very well priced.

WORLDS BEST CABLES 3 Foot – Quad Balanced Microphone Cable Custom Made Using Mogami 2534 Wire and Neutrik NC3MXX-B Male & NC3FXX-B Female XLR Plugs.

IMG_9075.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #295 of 305
I find WBT mogami balanced cables excellent and very well priced. LINK.
Agree I have some WBC cables too, also the PYST Snake Oil balanced sold by Schiit are nice and uses Sommer cables.
The Blue Truth cables are rock solid but overpriced.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #297 of 305
All I care about is do they look cool or not. Shallow? Yup. But honest about it!

The Blue Truth not only look cool and sound cool they also have a sexy name :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #298 of 305
Finally installed the Lokius using all INs & OUTs and Holy F#$%k it's dead silent and totally transparent in bypass mode, cranked the amp volume all the way to 100 and still dead silent.
Definitely the balanced IN is way better than the unbalanced SE IN while listening to balanced signal but no change when fed in by RCA and Out in RCA.
Those guys did a great job designing and executing the Lokius. Kudos !! :beerchug:

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #299 of 305
All I care about is do they look cool or not. Shallow? Yup. But honest about it!

95% of the reason people don't use generic cables!

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #300 of 305
95% of the reason people don't use generic cables!
And 100% why cable companies making big $$ using silver and gold in their cables.
But it feels good when you buy one 😍😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back