Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Oct 13, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #46 of 305
Got my unit today...welp.

I auditioned it for about 30 minutes, after which it just died out of the blue.

Tested the power adapter, 18.2VAC output, a bit high for the 14-16VAC rating on the Lokius, but enough to burn the unit?

In any case, kinda disappointing QA didn't catch this one before sending it, especially after paying almost $70 in duty fees.
That's very unfortunate. I received my Lokius yesterday as well and for now it's working like a charm. It provides exactly what I was hoping for. Concerning duties. When declared as repair no duties should be applied again when receiving a new unit.

I especially like the 2kHz knob. It gives the option to bring out vocals a little bit more in the mix. In general I often had the impression that digital EQ softens the sound a bit. None of that with the Lokius. Very good first impression.

photo_2021-10-13_14-32-00.jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #47 of 305
That's very unfortunate. I received my Lokius yesterday as well and for now it's working like a charm. It provides exactly what I was hoping for. Concerning duties. When declared as repair no duties should be applied again when receiving a new unit.

I especially like the 2kHz knob. It gives the option to bring out vocals a little bit more in the mix. In general I often had the impression that digital EQ softens the sound a bit. None of that with the Lokius. Very good first impression.

photo_2021-10-13_14-32-00.jpg
Nice setup! (I especially like the VU meters.) What's the device at the bottom to the left of the Denafrips? A tube buffer?

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #48 of 305
Nice setup! (I especially like the VU meters.) What's the device at the bottom to the left of the Denafrips? A tube buffer?
Thanks! Yep it's a Xduoo MT-603 tube buffer with a NOS Brimar 12AU7. I use it before the single ended inputs of the Singxer SA-1. Like this I can use pure solid state via the balanced inputs and tube hybrid via single ended.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #49 of 305
Can anyone suggest whether this is a worthwhile investment for someone with hearing problems in the bass department? I've lost some of my sensitivity in lower frequencies lately and am trying to decide between EQ'ing or changing out my headphones.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #50 of 305
Can anyone suggest whether this is a worthwhile investment for someone with hearing problems in the bass department? I've lost some of my sensitivity in lower frequencies lately and am trying to decide between EQ'ing or changing out my headphones.
In my experience, headphones will matter more than the EQ device. If your transducer can't play low frequencies very well, or roll off below a certain point, then using EQ to increase bass output likely won't give you the bass you are looking for.
For example, I have expensive ZMF Verite Closed that I find to be only moderate extension and bass quantity. Using the Lokius hasn't improved that. Using other headphones however can give me a more satisfying bass experience.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #51 of 305
This is tricky. Quality bass is two fold. You tend to hear more of the upper bass frequencies and feel more of the sub bass. The best headphones do both. They'll have good bass detail, layering and extension. They'll also have good sub bass texture, impact and rumble. What I'm finding is the Lokius does a very good job of letting you tweak the bass frequencies. Plus all of the key frequencies in the sound spectrum when it comes to headphone listening.

All of which is for not if you don't have a headphone capable of delivering this type of bass. A lot of headphones roll off before getting to the sub bass frequencies.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 305
Hi I recently got the Lokius (I also have the Loki +) and It's connected by SE to my Denafrips DAC and to the SMSL SA300 to my speakers, today I started to listen a crack sounds like the one you heard in headphones when a 3.5 connector is broken, first I thought was part of the video that I was watching but not, I turn the Lokius off and I didn't hear anything until I turn in on an hour later.
Anyone have a similar problem? I move the Lokius a bit away from the DAC since they were one on top of the other before.

20211013_182345-01.jpeg
20211013_182304.jpg

Also to confirm the first switch is for Balanced connection and Single ended right? It's normal that it works on my Speakers (SE) when is on Balanced? because is working in both.

20211013_182323.jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #54 of 305
The first switch selects between XLR and RCA input, and outputs it both unbalanced and balanced.
That make sense I'm only using XLR Input.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #55 of 305
Hi I recently got the Lokius (I also have the Loki +) and It's connected by SE to my Denafrips DAC and to the SMSL SA300 to my speakers, today I started to listen a crack sounds like the one you heard in headphones when a 3.5 connector is broken, first I thought was part of the video that I was watching but not, I turn the Lokius off and I didn't hear anything until I turn in on an hour later.
Anyone have a similar problem? I move the Lokius a bit away from the DAC since they were one on top of the other before.

You could try operating all the knobs and switches a bit and see if it goes away. Might just be the newness of the contacts.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #57 of 305
Can I feed Lokius with balanced signal and output via SE? Is the signal level going to be lowered?
Yes you can. It's also mentioned in the FAQ. I'm using it like this without problems.

1634232013683.png

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #58 of 305
Got my unit today...welp.

I auditioned it for about 30 minutes, after which it just died out of the blue.

Tested the power adapter, 18.2VAC output, a bit high for the 14-16VAC rating on the Lokius, but enough to burn the unit?

In any case, kinda disappointing QA didn't catch this one before sending it, especially after paying almost $70 in duty fees.
Perfectly normal for an AC adapter to measure higher when unloaded (voltage decreases a bit when connected to the unit), and Schiit designs for line voltage variations, so damage not likely from that. My Lokius' AC adapter measured 18.84V by itself (line input 120.2V) and has been running fine for months 24/7.

When returning the unit, ask Schiit / your distributor about the customs declaration to avoid unnecessary tariffs and fees. They should be able to send you out a replacement / your repaired unit without incurring additional duty fees.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #59 of 305
Oct 19, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #60 of 305
As I noted, forget about using it for EQ of speakers or headphones. If you were going to use such, you would want some kind of memory to remember them anyway. I can't see reaching for these controls as I listen to music and then have to change them for the next piece of music.

The device is also boring to look at. The older versions of this box had dancing LEDs that added fun to the experience if not some data as to what the thing was doing.

You have to have very strong aversion to using software EQ to want to use the Lokius.

That Amir guy....yeesh...There's so much to unpack here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back