Schiit Kara - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #91 of 237
After an afternoon and evening session with Kara using 4x mode, I have to say that @leafy7382 's impression is spot on.

Listening to classical, I was impressed by the added weight and clarity that 4x mode brought to tympani, double bass, and cellos. This wasn't added bass per se, but more presence if you will, better definition.

On rock fare, there seemed to be greater dynamics.

At first, I thought that 1x mode seemed a bit smoother, but after some back and forth between 1x and 4x while trying to volume match, I'm not so sure.

I thought 4x sounded a bit grainy with Freya S. I have no such complaints with Kara's 4x mode.

I detected no loss of detail/resolution with Kara's 4x mode. I appreciated the perceived greater dynamics.

The only downside that I've encountered so far, is that 4x shows that one of my phono units has a bit of self noise that can be heard if an LP isn't playing. This particular phono unit has a little more gain than average, so this isn't that unusual.

I'm going to continue with 4x for awhile, maybe a very long while...

Thanks to @adias & @leafy7382 for prodding me to give 4x another try.
It’s nice to have options. They are 2 different flavors not just a gain change.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #93 of 237
I'll have to give 4x a go.
According to the "Schiit Talker," the 4x circuit isn't powered up until you choose 4x on the front panel. If this is true, then that circuit isn't fully warmed up for awhile after you've made the 4x selection.

I started yesterday's session on 4x, and didn't try to compare 1x & 4x until later that evening.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #94 of 237
It’s nice to have options. They are 2 different flavors not just a gain change.
This seems to be the case.

I spent today's session comparing 1x and 4x with my two turntables.

These are my preferences so far--

With Yggy GS2, I currently prefer 4x.

With my Michell Gyro & Avid phono pre, I prefer 1x.

With my Pioneer PLX-1000 & Mani 2, It's pretty much a draw between 1x & 4x.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #97 of 237
Opinions are welcome and great, especially when differing. What are you using as a source/chain? I found for SE to SE the differences were much less pronounced - I used the Kara/Freya S for BAL to SE output to my power amp+subs. Its a bit fuller, but also slower when I use the 4x. With the S, it was much wider or deep sounding, also losing out on a bit of details. Kara lacks that deepness in 4x but trades a much more in-line or less altered performance - for my setup. I tend to prefer the more transparent 1x setting. Subjectively, I preferred Kara's performance to the Freya S.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #98 of 237
After an afternoon and evening session with Kara using 4x mode, I have to say that @leafy7382 's impression is spot on.

Listening to classical, I was impressed by the added weight and clarity that 4x mode brought to tympani, double bass, and cellos. This wasn't added bass per se, but more presence if you will, better definition.

On rock fare, there seemed to be greater dynamics.

At first, I thought that 1x mode seemed a bit smoother, but after some back and forth between 1x and 4x while trying to volume match, I'm not so sure.

I thought 4x sounded a bit grainy with Freya S. I have no such complaints with Kara's 4x mode.

I detected no loss of detail/resolution with Kara's 4x mode. I appreciated the perceived greater dynamics.

The only downside that I've encountered so far, is that 4x shows that one of my phono units has a bit of self noise that can be heard if an LP isn't playing. This particular phono unit has a little more gain than average, so this isn't that unusual.

I'm going to continue with 4x for awhile, maybe a very long while...

Thanks to @adias & @leafy7382 for prodding me to give 4x another try.
And we have the passive mode, which is something I haven't given as much time to yet myself. It sounded to me that if 1x is a light bulb at full brightness, then the passive mode is a much turned down light bulb suitable for a night light.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #99 of 237
And we have the passive mode, which is something I haven't given as much time to yet myself. It sounded to me that if 1x is a light bulb at full brightness, then the passive mode is a much turned down light bulb suitable for a night light.
I had used passive preamps with very satisfactory results for many years. I was running power amps that had an input impedance over 50k, most of these amps were tubed.

I find that with amps that have a lower Zin, like Vidar at 20k Ohms, I prefer the added grunt that a buffered output provides. Especially with vinyl sources.

Tyr, with a Zin of 47k, should be a fine candidate for passive, but I think that passive preamps work especially well with tubed amps.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #100 of 237
Opinions are welcome and great, especially when differing. What are you using as a source/chain? I found for SE to SE the differences were much less pronounced - I used the Kara/Freya S for BAL to SE output to my power amp+subs. Its a bit fuller, but also slower when I use the 4x. With the S, it was much wider or deep sounding, also losing out on a bit of details. Kara lacks that deepness in 4x but trades a much more in-line or less altered performance - for my setup. I tend to prefer the more transparent 1x setting. Subjectively, I preferred Kara's performance to the Freya S.
That's a very nice system that you have!

I agree with your assessment of Kara. Freya S was nice, Kara is nicer.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #101 of 237

My comments above are from these pipelines:

SE system:
MMB2 > Freya S > Vidar 2

Balanced system:
Yggy+ OG > Kara > Tyr

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #103 of 237
Supposed to receive mine on Monday. Can`t wait to connect it to my Vidar 2...will report back at the end of the week.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #105 of 237
Supposed to receive mine on Monday. Can`t wait to connect it to my Vidar 2...will report back at the end of the week.
So, it shipped 10 days ago and still no news from Fedex... says it was picked up and it`s at the Fedex installations... normally takes only 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back