Schiit Kara - Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #76 of 237
Wow, this one looks very interesting! Could I run this through my Schiit Asgard 3 for its DAC? Would the Asgard 3 do this Kara justice? Side note/joke. I have a very good friend named Kara. I sent her the link and told her, "Finally a Kara that sounds as good as she looks!" :ksc75smile:

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #78 of 237
Kara gain stage choices

Of the various Kara reviews not many comments regarding x1 and x4 gain choices.

I continue to think the more open / detailed / wider soundstage gain is x1. What’s yours?
I prefer 1x with Vidar.

I would imagine that 4x might be the choice for owners of some of these newer low gain power amps.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #79 of 237
The new remote/volume improvements, and control placements make Kara feel more refined. Very nice.

Can you comment specifically what these improvements are over Freya +/N/S?

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #80 of 237
Can you comment specifically what these improvements are over Freya +/N/S?
When using the remote with Freya S, I would struggle a bit with "fine" volume adjustments. The volume control would overshoot lower/higher where I was trying to get. I found myself getting up and manually making fine adjustments. A first world problem to be sure!

With Kara, it is much easier to make precise volume adjustments with the remote. I have actually been able to make one "click" adjustments using the remote. I did add a couple of adhesive backed "sequins" to the remote volume control buttons that make this easier.

IMG_4051.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #81 of 237
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, my Freya-N seems to move about 3 "clicks" on average when trying to make minimal adjustments. That's 1.875 dB per adjustment which I don't feel is too coarse, but finer adjustments are always welcome unless it requires reducing the speed of larger adjustments.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #82 of 237
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, my Freya-N seems to move about 3 "clicks" on average when trying to make minimal adjustments. That's 1.875 dB per adjustment which I don't feel is too coarse, but finer adjustments are always welcome unless it requires reducing the speed of larger adjustments.
The clicking sounds different with Kara also.

Instead of "clicka clicka clicka clicka," it's more like "ticka ticka ticka ticka."

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #85 of 237
I'm a Dynaco fan but I have to ask, how is your PAS-4 being used with your Kara? Are you using the PAS-4 for a phono unit?
I'm using it for switching (reel to reel, cassette, tuner, phono, Urd into a Cal Audio Labs Alpha dac) and a cd recorder.
I need a balance control for off-axis late night casual listening in my recliner. The pre out is at a pre-set level into Kara.
Last Summer I up-graded the eight coupling caps and resistors in the phono section of the PAS-4 due to a noisy resistor in the phono stage. Big overall improvement.

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #86 of 237
I'm using it for switching (reel to reel, cassette, tuner, phono, Urd into a Cal Audio Labs Alpha dac) and a cd recorder.
I need a balance control for off-axis late night casual listening in my recliner. The pre out is at a pre-set level into Kara.
Last Summer I up-graded the eight coupling caps and resistors in the phono section of the PAS-4 due to a noisy resistor in the phono stage. Big overall improvement.
Oh, I see!

You've got some fun stuff there!

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #87 of 237
I prefer 1x with Vidar.

I would imagine that 4x might be the choice for owners of some of these newer low gain power amps.
I use Kara with a pair of Tyrs. 1x and 4x selected depending on my mood. 1x is Laird back and fluid, often great when I'd like to relax or just have the music on as BGM. 4x brings on more excitement and impact, it works well when I want to be more immersed in music or TV/Movie.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #88 of 237
I use Kara with a pair of Tyrs. 1x and 4x selected depending on my mood. 1x is Laird back and fluid, often great when I'd like to relax or just have the music on as BGM. 4x brings on more excitement and impact, it works well when I want to be more immersed in music or TV/Movie.
I’m going with 4x for today’s session.

It occurs to me that I may have not given 4x a fair shake earlier.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #90 of 237

Please report back what you think of x4 vs x1.
After an afternoon and evening session with Kara using 4x mode, I have to say that @leafy7382 's impression is spot on.

Listening to classical, I was impressed by the added weight and clarity that 4x mode brought to tympani, double bass, and cellos. This wasn't added bass per se, but more presence if you will, better definition.

On rock fare, there seemed to be greater dynamics.

At first, I thought that 1x mode seemed a bit smoother, but after some back and forth between 1x and 4x while trying to volume match, I'm not so sure.

I thought 4x sounded a bit grainy with Freya S. I have no such complaints with Kara's 4x mode.

I detected no loss of detail/resolution with Kara's 4x mode. I appreciated the perceived greater dynamics.

The only downside that I've encountered so far, is that 4x shows that one of my phono units has a bit of self noise that can be heard if an LP isn't playing. This particular phono unit has a little more gain than average, so this isn't that unusual.

I'm going to continue with 4x for awhile, maybe a very long while...

Thanks to @adias & @leafy7382 for prodding me to give 4x another try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back