Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 24, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #6,212 of 6,473
Weird, mine is really bloody hot, when you touch the top or front plate you can't keep your fingers on it.
It is sandwiched between the Bifrost and the Lyr though, but still ...

I'm returning it, I wouldn't even dare keeping this thing on 24/7 as it 'd probably catch fire. Also, print was missing below the two toggle switches on the front.
B-stock? I paid full price though.

It sounded damn good though and not only at this price but well over it's price.
So do the Lyr and Bifrost.

I had the same configuration, had the hot Jot problem you have, and Jason said not to stack amps. I now have the Jot on top the bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 to the side. It gets warm, but not crazy hot.

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #6,213 of 6,473
I now have only the Lyr and Bifrost on since early this morning, the Bifrost isn't even warm and the Lyr only slightly so all the heat came from the Jot.
Since the Jot doesn't even get warm for other people and yours still does stacking isn't the only problem.
I'm sending back that unit, it's simply a fire hazard. and some print is missing on the front as well.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #6,214 of 6,473
I would contact Schiit and let them replace the unit etc....and the missing "symbols" sounds really wierd ??

Mine is in between a Bifrost 2 on the bottom and a Lyr 3 on top.

I just turned it on, all three and I will report back on how warm mine gets...

Alex

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #6,215 of 6,473
I would contact Schiit and let them replace the unit etc....and the missing "symbols" sounds really wierd ??

Mine is in between a Bifrost 2 on the bottom and a Lyr 3 on top.

I just turned it on, all three and I will report back on how warm mine gets...

Alex

Thanks Adydula, I have the same 3 devices stacked the exact same way.
Here nothing gets hot (just warm) as long as the Jot is not powerd on, but once it is the Jot gets flaming hot, the other two pretty hot as well.

The missing symbols are those for low gain and RCA input, below the toggles, they forgot to print them.
The high gain and USB input above the toggles are there as well as the XLR one besides one of the toggles.

Also, the Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 are the same color, the Jot a lot cooler silver color, pretty noticeable. Do you have that as well?
I contacted Schiit about that last week and they said it's normal, they used a different manufacturer for the Jot.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #6,216 of 6,473
Here is my stack presently...

All three are on.

Only 20 minutes and the JOT is just slightly warm to the touch. I will leave it on for an hour and report back...

WP_20200324_10_00_43_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #6,217 of 6,473
Ok its a little over an hour and the units are both very warm, but not really hot...The heat from the Jot is flowing up into the Lyr 3 and making it more warm than when its the only thing on.

I can touch the front plate or face of the JOT and its warm but not really hot, and I can touch it and not have to remove my hand due to really being "hot".

I can lift up the Lyr 3 and hold it with no issues as well as the Jot.

Based on this from an engineering perspective , heat is not really good for components and cooler is better IMO...that said amps etc do get warm and sometimes they appear to be much hotter that we might like or think....and I would not run these both on for long periods just for that reason. I think even stacked like this they would be ok, but again not a good idea for me...

Sometimes I do power both up to do some comparisons but its for a short period of time, 30 minutes --- and hour...If I was going to do an all day event I would seperate them.

But with all three devices on there is no real fire hazard IMO....

If your JOT is really getting HOT in a stand alone situation then I would definitely call Schiit, they have always been great with me in resolving stuff...

All the best...and yes the Jot reallty does sound or work well!!

Alex

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #6,219 of 6,473
Wondering if the vent holes are plugged up with something or not fully open?? Something that would prevent the heat from being allowed to vent out?

This one is a really odd one, I have not heard an amp getting really hot except with the early Shiit Asgard in Class A...

Please let us know how it goes!

Alex

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #6,220 of 6,473
Thanks Alex!

Here it's not warm, it's hot. The Bifrost and Lyr get hot when the Jot is on, the Jopt is too hot to touch, even the volume knob can't be held for long.
I made a return, luckily this one is from Shiit UK else it'd be expensive.

Ah. UK voltage, then, unlike mine. My Lyr3 sits on top of it, with the CV1988 on a saver. My little Mimby/SYS/Vali2 stack gets warmer.

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #6,224 of 6,473
My Jotunheim runs a fair temperature, barely warm to the touch after a full day of use.
My old Magni 2u even ran a bit hotter when I owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back