Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 27, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #6,242 of 6,472
Wipe it down with wipes!!!!

I was going to say the same. Just wipe it down if you have some disinfectant wipes. Probably think I’m crazy, but I would even wipe the unit down as well. They’re finding this crap can live on so many surfaces for a long time! Best to kill it with wipes as opposed to relying on a random length of time just sitting there.

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #6,243 of 6,472
Hi, Alex.

Long time no chat. Kinda miss your cheery demeanor.

My HPA arrived two days ago, but I'm letting it sit in my garage for a couple days just in case the shipping box picked up any nasty virus germs in transit. I have a Lyr3 that I bought last year. Do you think the Lyr3 as pre/DAC mated to my new HPA would be a great match, or might I do better (for more $$$, of course) buying a new DAC? Which DACs do you think will fit best to power my HD650s?

Michael
Hello !!

Glad it got back to you !!

I am on the road right now and will reply in detail in a few hours. Stay safe.

Alex

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #6,245 of 6,472
Hi, Alex.

Long time no chat. Kinda miss your cheery demeanor.

My HPA arrived two days ago, but I'm letting it sit in my garage for a couple days just in case the shipping box picked up any nasty virus germs in transit. I have a Lyr3 that I bought last year. Do you think the Lyr3 as pre/DAC mated to my new HPA would be a great match, or might I do better (for more $$$, of course) buying a new DAC? Which DACs do you think will fit best to power my HD650s?

Michael
HI MIchael!

Back home!

Thanks for the nice note, the other site is still "broke" and my access is restricted. Which is fine with me. Long Sory.

I would highl recommend and external dac like the Bifrost 2 to use with your amps....either the HPA or the Lyr 3. Its really a better dac all around.

Your HPA really deserves a good dac...the Bifrost 2 is one, although the HPA designer doesn necessarily like the Schiit stuff....but I totally disagree as hundreds of us think its one of the best dacs out there under $1000 and even above.

The rme-adi2 and D90 are alternatives as well, but I perfer the MB dacs over DS dacs...

I am active on this website in several threads and at the forum at headphone.com and hi-fi guides...please join us if you want.

All the best!
Alex

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #6,246 of 6,472
HI MIchael!

Back home!

Thanks for the nice note, the other site is still "broke" and my access is restricted. Which is fine with me. Long Sory.

I would highl recommend and external dac like the Bifrost 2 to use with your amps....either the HPA or the Lyr 3. Its really a better dac all around.

Your HPA really deserves a good dac...the Bifrost 2 is one, although the HPA designer doesn necessarily like the Schiit stuff....but I totally disagree as hundreds of us think its one of the best dacs out there under $1000 and even above.

The rme-adi2 and D90 are alternatives as well, but I perfer the MB dacs over DS dacs...

I am active on this website in several threads and at the forum at headphone.com and hi-fi guides...please join us if you want.

All the best!
Alex
What is MB / DS?

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,248 of 6,472
yup...most dacs out there are a delta sigma design and the other type less prevalent are the ladder dacs or multi-bit dacs used a long time ago, kind of died when the DS designed dacs started popping put all over the place....until Schiit and MIke Moffet came out with their new versions of multibit dacs and took the audio world by storm!!

Lots of opinions and reviews on all these...I prefer the MB dac from Schitt and have been using them for several years....

Alex

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #6,250 of 6,472
It can be overwhelming, but you dont really need to know alot about circuit design etc....find a headphone you really like, bu auditioning to them, then get a amp/dac to match.

Many amps today are very good and it boils down to preference and taste....the most important things are your headphones and your source material or music....the dac and amp are imporant but not as important as those two..

You can get amps that are designed for certain types of headphone impedances...just get one that will work with hi and low impedance cans...

The dac can be one of many ...and then there is your budget and what you can afford....

Alex

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #6,252 of 6,472
Nice Schiit stack/pile guys. Question for those who own both the Jot and Lyr3, why you decided to go with these two amps in tandem vs. say a Mjolnir2 which seems to cover both what the Jot and Lyr3 can do. Is it because of unit size or is it due to something else. Just curious.

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #6,253 of 6,472
Nice Schiit stack/pile guys. Question for those who own both the Jot and Lyr3, why you decided to go with these two amps in tandem vs. say a Mjolnir2 which seems to cover both what the Jot and Lyr3 can do. Is it because of unit size or is it due to something else. Just curious.

Thanks.

Curiosity mostly, and nuance, and synergy. Besides Jot and Lyr3, I also use Valhalla2 and Mjolnir2 (and Vali2), and at the end of the day, I suspect I could be happy with any one of them. They're just that good.

But experimentally I've found I do have preferences, depending on particular headphones and music, so with such an embarrassment of riches I mix and match.

I've found Lyr3 a perfect complement for HD700, using any of many NOS bottles, but especially Brimar CV1988. This is my current favorite, just incredibly dynamic and lovely in every way.

Jot + Ananda fed balanced with a Focal cable is my always-on, pick it up and listen combo, tasty sweet and smooth across genres.

Mjolnir2 + LCD-3f, an old Norse Reign8 balanced cable and NOS Brimar CV4033's is what comes up when I want to listen hard. :D

These, BTW, are all driven by an OG Gungnir Multibit and a Pi4b/Digi+Pro running Rune, coaxial S/PDIF into Gumby's BNC.

Valhalla2 is fed with a Bifrost 4490 Gen5 USB from the same Pi4b, has Brimar 6BQ7A's, and usually plays either an HD800/SDR or HD800S, the 800 with a Draug2. Wildly detailed without being overbearing, and amazing for classical.

Vali2 + Modi MB with NOS Amperex ECC40, optical feed from the same Pi4b, usually drives HD660S, else Beyer DT1990 or DT177x. Jazz, rock, fusion...

It's All Good.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #6,255 of 6,472
Curiosity mostly, and nuance, and synergy. Besides Jot and Lyr3, I also use Valhalla2 and Mjolnir2 (and Vali2), and at the end of the day, I suspect I could be happy with any one of them. They're just that good.

But experimentally I've found I do have preferences, depending on particular headphones and music, so with such an embarrassment of riches I mix and match.

I've found Lyr3 a perfect complement for HD700, using any of many NOS bottles, but especially Brimar CV1988. This is my current favorite, just incredibly dynamic and lovely in every way.

Jot + Ananda fed balanced with a Focal cable is my always-on, pick it up and listen combo, tasty sweet and smooth across genres.

Mjolnir2 + LCD-3f, an old Norse Reign8 balanced cable and NOS Brimar CV4033's is what comes up when I want to listen hard. :D

These, BTW, are all driven by an OG Gungnir Multibit and a Pi4b/Digi+Pro running Rune, coaxial S/PDIF into Gumby's BNC.

Valhalla2 is fed with a Bifrost 4490 Gen5 USB from the same Pi4b, has Brimar 6BQ7A's, and usually plays either an HD800/SDR or HD800S, the 800 with a Draug2. Wildly detailed without being overbearing, and amazing for classical.

Vali2 + Modi MB with NOS Amperex ECC40, optical feed from the same Pi4b, usually drives HD660S, else Beyer DT1990 or DT177x. Jazz, rock, fusion...

It's All Good.
Nice ! Now that's dedication to the craft. I wish I have the means and the space for all that gear. If you had to pick one amp only, which one would it be from your stash and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back