Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #6,271 of 6,469
I was thinking, that most of the Schiit amps would provide someone on a limited budget for headphones like the HD600's a really first class setup. Many times folks getting into this hobby ask me what should they buy....and its always the headphone followed by the source material, amp and dac....

A HD600 for less than $300 or the drop's HD6XX for $195 is a killer deal for a really good set of cans....and pair that with any of the Schiit dacs/amps and you have a great system that should provide years of listening fun...

Alex

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #6,272 of 6,469
I was thinking, that most of the Schiit amps would provide someone on a limited budget for headphones like the HD600's a really first class setup. Many times folks getting into this hobby ask me what should they buy....and its always the headphone followed by the source material, amp and dac....

A HD600 for less than $300 or the drop's HD6XX for $195 is a killer deal for a really good set of cans....and pair that with any of the Schiit dacs/amps and you have a great system that should provide years of listening fun...

Alex
Not trying to get off topic but it's still Schiit related. I have the Asgard 3/4490 with the 6xx and I feel no need to upgrade anything, so I completely agree. Excellent sound. For $500 I'd say it would be hard to beat, but I'm no expert.

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #6,273 of 6,469
genck...

Your totally correct IMO.

Enjoy what you have..."but" there are other headphones that do work "better" than the HD6xx's....and yes there is a cost associated with them.

So if you get a chance you might want to listen or audition other headphones and see if they might provide the same or even better presentation for you..

But with what you have, your happy and smiling and thats what its all about!!

Alex

Note: Your Schiit base of Asgard 3 and dac is just great!

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #6,278 of 6,469
Gosh asking me who has so many amps is like asking an addict for some drugs!!! LOL!!

If you can afford it I would buy one and see for yourself...thats half the fun for me...

Its a good amp for a really decent price for sure....

Thats one amp I do not have..."yet"....

:)

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #6,279 of 6,469
Curiosity mostly, and nuance, and synergy. Besides Jot and Lyr3, I also use Valhalla2 and Mjolnir2 (and Vali2), and at the end of the day, I suspect I could be happy with any one of them. They're just that good.

But experimentally I've found I do have preferences, depending on particular headphones and music, so with such an embarrassment of riches I mix and match.

I've found Lyr3 a perfect complement for HD700, using any of many NOS bottles, but especially Brimar CV1988. This is my current favorite, just incredibly dynamic and lovely in every way.

Jot + Ananda fed balanced with a Focal cable is my always-on, pick it up and listen combo, tasty sweet and smooth across genres.

Mjolnir2 + LCD-3f, an old Norse Reign8 balanced cable and NOS Brimar CV4033's is what comes up when I want to listen hard. :D

These, BTW, are all driven by an OG Gungnir Multibit and a Pi4b/Digi+Pro running Rune, coaxial S/PDIF into Gumby's BNC.

Valhalla2 is fed with a Bifrost 4490 Gen5 USB from the same Pi4b, has Brimar 6BQ7A's, and usually plays either an HD800/SDR or HD800S, the 800 with a Draug2. Wildly detailed without being overbearing, and amazing for classical.

Vali2 + Modi MB with NOS Amperex ECC40, optical feed from the same Pi4b, usually drives HD660S, else Beyer DT1990 or DT177x. Jazz, rock, fusion...

It's All Good.
Question for G0rt and others.

Has anyone who owns a Jot paired it to a Vali2, where the Vali2 is used as a tube preamp/buffer? If so, how did that sound? For my next amp, I am deciding between a Jot or a Mjolnir2. I currently have a Vali2 with some 6922, 5670, 6SN7, 6H8C, and dual 6J5 tubes (with adapters) and was thinking if I can pair the Jot with the Vali2 (Valiheim), can I get close or similar to the MJ2 in performance?

Would a Valiheim be a viable and competitive solution ? This will be a cheaper route for me, but if this sounds good on paper but poor in reality, I don't mind paying up for the MJ2. But thought I ask if others have tried this combo or Jot with another tube preamp/buffer.

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #6,280 of 6,469
I am digging this little piece of Shiit
Really nice / clear / detailed amp
Can not wait to get a balanced cable to see what it can really push.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #6,281 of 6,469
I am digging this little piece of Shiit
Really nice / clear / detailed amp
Can not wait to get a balanced cable to see what it can really push.

What headphones are you running the balanced output with? Most headphones don't really need that much feed and going balanced unlikely will make a difference unless you're using something like the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back