Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #6,137 of 6,469
Just bought a Jot from another headfier. It has the balanced card in it, he says he got it in 2016.

Compared to my Magni 2u and Modi 2u, it wipes the floor, I didn't think I would notice a difference but I really really do

It might be the more power, but we are talking about Ether CX, not terrible to drive

It sounds the same, but just so much more alive. I don't think it sounds bright at all. I admit I'm using the 2.notch felts, but with the Jot I'm thinking about moving down to the 1-notch whites.

Sound stage is a touch better, imaging is more accurate. I know some people over at audioscience complain about the ungrounded chassis causing a 60hrz (or your regional ac frequency) interference. I don't hear it. High gain, max volume the amp is dead silent with the Ethers

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #6,141 of 6,469
Well after some critical listening as some people say and doing some reading. The Audio Gd C2 from what I have read rolls the highs a bit and that supposedly boosts the midrange some which I liked. I have gotten to where I'm liking the Jot. I'm only using with the basic Modi 2 thru usb and Kimber Kable silver streaks and must say for the roughly 400 bucks I have into it listening to the T1.2 it has gotten very addictive. Good solid bass and synergy with the Beyers. Still not as open as the AG setup but not nearly the same money. The Ag Dac-19 I have made a huge difference to the latest C2 but not so much with other amps such as the Gustard H10 and the Jot. I had a Saga SS that I used with the AG stack to get that monster setup off my desk and it added even more openess. The Jot is roughly half the size of my Dac-19.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #6,142 of 6,469
Has anyone put longer feet on the Jot to allow more airflow underneath?
Yes, these:

20190911_130643.jpg

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #6,143 of 6,469
Did Jotunheim get a revision? I recently won a Jotunheim at meet, and tried HD800S with it, and it was smooth compared to what I expected. This goes against what people told me about Jotunheim being on the clinical side.

There's some speculation that there was changes that was made?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #6,144 of 6,469
Did Jotunheim get a revision? I recently won a Jotunheim at meet, and tried HD800S with it, and it was smooth compared to what I expected. This goes against what people told me about Jotunheim being on the clinical side.

There's some speculation that there was changes that was made?
I have had my Jotunheim since it was announced and I have never known it to be "clinical". As always your own ears are going to be your best adviser.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #6,148 of 6,469
Ive had my JOT 2+ years and never listen to any of the ppl who have said that it’s compressed or any of the any other it all depends of what your feeding it. At this stage of the game I’m useing the cayin idac6 via my Mac tower and oppo transport. with either c flow mod house Argon mk2 and ZMF Aeolus cans

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #6,149 of 6,469
I've read about a "silent revision" somewhere before, but have no proof that early versions of the Jotunheim had sharper treble than recent versions. I've had mine since Fall 2017 I think.

I've auditioned and owned several amps in the Jotunheim price range and for my tastes the Jot is the best overall in terms of solid state amps. For me it came down to excellent bass control, good dynamics (despite what some reviewers have stated), and a warm tonality that fits with my preferred sound signature. The only areas that I think could be improved would be resolution/clarity in the mids and increase in sound stage. The pairing with the Bifrost 2 is really impressive and I feel that DAC takes the Jot to the next level in terms of detail retrieval (big step up over Modi 3 and Modi Multibit in terms of clarity).

For comparison, I found the THX 789 to have a bit more clarity in the mids and treble, and with a bit more treble extension. It was overall too bright for me. I suppose some might call this more neutral than the Jot. Overall, the THX sounded very compressed and lacked heft in the bass. The transients were faster vs. the Jot, but the impact was missing.

The Gillmore Lite Mk2 was great and had very fast transients and strong bass response. However I feel like the Jot had slightly crisper treble and over more power that brought out the best in my planar headphones.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #6,150 of 6,469
I was interested in the context. You listened to the Jotunheim and perceived it as smooth and not clinical. Which amp do you normally use?
I've heard many amps, and that is my context. A solid-state I currently use is Bryston BHA-1. Which is transparent, but not clinical. I didn't like THX 789 either. It does sound bright and compressed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back