Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 26, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #5,911 of 6,472
Anyone directly compared the Jot with a multibit module versus the Jot with Mimby? I'm wondering whether the Mimby having an RCA connection makes any difference between the two when using headphones balanced.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5,914 of 6,472
I just bought an sennheiser Hd800s and need to amp it, I was considering this amp. Can anyone with this combo of gear comment on the quality of the pairing?

Jotunheim Multi + HD800S

I have tested the Sennheiser HD800 (not S) with SDR mod (which takes it close to the S version although not entirely) with the Jot+Mimby combo balanced, and didn’t find the pairing anything special. It had sibilant voices and hot treble in some of the songs. After applying eq, it became better, but when comparing with a tube amp, La Figaro 339, it clearly shows the lack of soundstage and fine detail on the Jot. Even the La Figaro is nowhere near the scaling limit of what the HD800 is capable of. I find, the portable amp Cayin C5 is a better match for the HD800 than Jot in terms of soundstage and frequency response.

If you are looking for a solid state amp for HD800, Violectric V200/V800 combo (used) seems to be a better match at a slightly higher price than a new Jot multi. For portable, the Geek Out line is highly recommended in forums.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #5,916 of 6,472
has anyone tried a Aune x7s amp that can offer an impression comparison to the Jot? - Basic impression, just which was more fun to listen to?
Hi,
I have both, the Jot sounds more full and rounded, with better bass, on the other hand the Aune sounds a little anemic in the bass area, the Aune has better soundstage and a súper black background.

Hope this helps you to decide.
Daniel.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #5,918 of 6,472
@johny5

Wish I had HD800S to listen and let you know.

I suspect you might be more happy with Lyr 3 multibit with those cans.
Hopefully others chime in.

And welcome :smile_phones:

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #5,919 of 6,472
I prefer my HD800 with tubes and even Rag over Jot. But, add a little Loki and I find I can massage the Jot800 to deliver a lot of different sound profiles.
If one can swing it one day, go with Jot (with or without Loki) and LYR-3, and have a blast and learn for yourself what suits your taste best and come to your own conclusions re: tube vs SS.
I've been doing that for decades with both types, each comes with it's own package of strengths and weaknesses. Neither is perfect. But, one type may suit your preferences in conjunction
with your favored genre(s) of music.
But, that's just me.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #5,920 of 6,472
I prefer my HD800 with tubes and even Rag over Jot. But, add a little Loki and I find I can massage the Jot800 to deliver a lot of different sound profiles.
If one can swing it one day, go with Jot (with or without Loki) and LYR-3, and have a blast and learn for yourself what suits your taste best and come to your own conclusions re: tube vs SS.
I've been doing that for decades with both types, each comes with it's own package of strengths and weaknesses. Neither is perfect. But, one type may suit your preferences in conjunction
with your favored genre(s) of music.
But, that's just me.

Good advice. Have you personally tried the Crack+SB with the HD800? Seems like in theory that would be a great match, but I don't know either product.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #5,921 of 6,472
Good advice. Have you personally tried the Crack+SB with the HD800? Seems like in theory that would be a great match, but I don't know either product.

No experience with the Crack but the DIY aspect always brings back fond memories of my Dynaco Kit days. I think I did DL a copy of the Crack assembly manual some time ago, enjoyed just reading it through.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #5,923 of 6,472
Unfortunately the internal DAC modules appear to be trash. Was not satisfied with the multibit module and ordered a Mimby. I think it's much better although I'm not going to bother unplugging and replugging cables again. All the product page has to say is that the internal module is $50 less (and that pairing a DAC with an amp in one box has been solved :/) but Mike Moffat (spelling?) claimed in a Facebook interview that it's not as good. I strongly recommend that if anyone is to buy the Jotunheim you do so with the Modi Multibit, even if you're using a balanced headphone cable as I am. I thought that perhaps the internal module might work better with the balanced output only to confirm that you do not want to bother with these modules.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #5,924 of 6,472
Contrary to what some think, the Multibit add on card for the Jot is very much worth the $200.00 price. If you need an all in one desk setup it is great rig for the money.

The Mimby is a step up and the Bimby even more so.

Of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #5,925 of 6,472
Contrary to what some think, the Multibit add on card for the Jot is very much worth the $100.00 price. If you need an all in one desk setup it is great rig for the money.

The Mimby is a step up and the Bimby even more so.

Of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...
*$200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back