Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 14, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #5,776 of 6,469
prob just not a good enough connection on the lid side but if it reduced it a good amount. i would not want someone to ruin the finish but id bet if it had a better connection with that wire it would be even better. if one wanted to make it permanent you could take the lid off and either wire the lid to ground with a wire or make the connection of at least one of those pins on the lid make proper contact. its odd to me why some seem to have this noise and others dont show it. neither of the ones i had showed noise audible enough to worry about. hmmm

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #5,777 of 6,469
I also get the impression they like irregular angles with some of their smaller knobs and other things that stick out.
My Schiit SYS has a crooked volume knob. Looks a bit like a steam boat chimney from the top. I contacted Schiit about it, at some point was asked to send picture, then never heard back. I've given up mentioning smaller cosmetic issues like that. However, that was before they set up their ticket system, so it might work out better now.
That said, all my Schiit worked so far. Vidar, SYS, a Lyr 2 I returned on time, two Jotunheims and an Yggdrasil.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #5,780 of 6,469
prob just not a good enough connection on the lid side but if it reduced it a good amount. i would not want someone to ruin the finish but id bet if it had a better connection with that wire it would be even better. if one wanted to make it permanent you could take the lid off and either wire the lid to ground with a wire or make the connection of at least one of those pins on the lid make proper contact. its odd to me why some seem to have this noise and others dont show it. neither of the ones i had showed noise audible enough to worry about. hmmm
I bent one end and stuck it in through a hole (just enough to have some contact with the underside of the top, did not want to get near any of the electronics inside), otherwise it probably wouldn't have helped at all. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if removing the top and attaching it better made a huge difference. Lucky for me, I don't have issues in regular use, this is just educational for me. So I won't open it up for that.
If I use my other hand to ground myself on the side of the case, I can basically determine the volume of the noise by increasing/decreasing the contact area. There's probably some variability to how poorly grounded the top is.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #5,781 of 6,469
I have a couple pieces of Schiit and have not QC issues with any of them.

WP_20180302_03_09_58_Pro.jpg

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #5,785 of 6,469
wow thats pretty schiity lol. but should still be fairly easy to fix with some patience. im kind of surprised they glued the knob on.
I tried a little bit, but I don't want to break anything off. Maybe heating up to glue would make it a bit malleable. I haven't used the SYS in a while, though, and when I did I stopped noticing after a while (though you feel it a little bit too when turning).

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #5,786 of 6,469
So I've read Amir's comparative review. As far as sound is concerned his argument appears to be that the poorer measurements of the Jot are reflected in how it sounds. The Jot has a fidelity issue, it smears, it distorts. He even claims that the Jot sounds dull. I had the opposite impression as far as dull is concerned, and this with the $200 Schiit stack. The Micro BL sounded dull to me, rather thin and lacking strength in its sound. I could perhaps see the distortion/fidelity argument but this is based on quite vague benefit of the doubt kind of impression against that basic Schiit stack. The Micro BL is unimpressive, and nothing about its clarity or resolution caught my attention. The Chord Mojo did by contrast, and it wasn't particularly great, but it sounded harsh and too crisp to me without the necessary meat on the crisp bones with the HEXv2. What won me over to the basic Schiit stack was fullness of sound. Then when I went to a Mimby and Jotunheim I was for the first time content (largely because of Sonarworks as well)- full, dynamic yet balanced, clear (I noted the cma400i sounding less clear to me) sound with the LCD-X. Of course I went and blew that up with the Gumby that is still reaching thermal equilibrium over the course of a week (I wonder what part of it is heating up for an entire week) and have inserted an 800S, but anyway.

The one thing I was willing to give the Micro BL the benefit of the doubt with was higher quality music. I don't know what was playing through his Roon player. I suppose it's possible I've been getting a diametrically opposite impression with lower quality music, but I'm baffled by his impression. Just in case the headphones are a confounding factor, while waiting for the Gumby I used the LCD-X with the Nano BL. I mostly stopped listening to music. Despite volume being more than enough power could still be an argument, but I would be absolutely shocked if the Micro BL would make the LCD-X sound like the Mimby + Jot did, and as someone pointed out on his forum single-ended the Jot by specs provides less power than the Micro BL on turbo (and here you run into multiple battery issues). With the same headphone the basic Schiit stack sounded fuller and ultimately better to me.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #5,787 of 6,469
wow thats pretty schiity lol. but should still be fairly easy to fix with some patience. im kind of surprised they glued the knob on.

There are some pictures in that review that are questionable. Another forum, that looks pretty run-down and its members seem quite bitter but those aren't grounds to completely dismiss them, seems to disassemble and look at Schiit products more in depth. They don't appear to be fans.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #5,788 of 6,469
So I've read Amir's comparative review. As far as sound is concerned his argument appears to be that the poorer measurements of the Jot are reflected in how it sounds. The Jot has a fidelity issue, it smears, it distorts. He even claims that the Jot sounds dull. I had the opposite impression as far as dull is concerned, and this with the $200 Schiit stack. The Micro BL sounded dull to me, rather thin and lacking strength in its sound. I could perhaps see the distortion/fidelity argument but this is based on quite vague benefit of the doubt kind of impression against that basic Schiit stack. The Micro BL is unimpressive, and nothing about its clarity or resolution caught my attention. The Chord Mojo did by contrast, and it wasn't particularly great, but it sounded harsh and too crisp to me without the necessary meat on the crisp bones with the HEXv2. What won me over to the basic Schiit stack was fullness of sound. Then when I went to a Mimby and Jotunheim I was for the first time content (largely because of Sonarworks as well)- full, dynamic yet balanced, clear (I noted the cma400i sounding less clear to me) sound with the LCD-X. Of course I went and blew that up with the Gumby that is still reaching thermal equilibrium over the course of a week (I wonder what part of it is heating up for an entire week) and have inserted an 800S, but anyway.

The one thing I was willing to give the Micro BL the benefit of the doubt with was higher quality music. I don't know what was playing through his Roon player. I suppose it's possible I've been getting a diametrically opposite impression with lower quality music, but I'm baffled by his impression. Just in case the headphones are a confounding factor, while waiting for the Gumby I used the LCD-X with the Nano BL. I mostly stopped listening to music. Despite volume being more than enough power could still be an argument, but I would be absolutely shocked if the Micro BL would make the LCD-X sound like the Mimby + Jot did, and as someone pointed out on his forum single-ended the Jot by specs provides less power than the Micro BL on turbo (and here you run into multiple battery issues). With the same headphone the basic Schiit stack sounded fuller and ultimately better to me.
Well Amir also did measurements of the Benchmark Dac1 and compared it to the Yggy . While the Benchmark had superior measurements , I found it very thin sounding .
The Yggy wipes the floor with the Benchmark in every audio category from soundstage to musicality .

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #5,789 of 6,469
Well Amir also did measurements of the Benchmark Dac1 and compared it to the Yggy . While the Benchmark had superior measurements , I found it very thin sounding .
The Yggy wipes the floor with the Benchmark in every audio category from soundstage to musicality .

...which again raises the point that perhaps he's not measuring the right things.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #5,790 of 6,469
I realised with this thread (maybe others too), that if you post anything too informative which reflects badly on the product, you get banned.

I had a few friends over who listened to my basic setup and most of them said the Jot sounded thin and veiled so Amir's claim isn't all that unfounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back