Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #5,806 of 6,472
I don't think there's a "grounding issue" - I think different electronic products will behave differently in different environments. E.g., you buy a USB cable and you notice it takes a little longer to transfer files, but you're fine with that because the cable was cheaper.

Everything has trade-offs. My tires are great on dry pavement, but not quite as good in the rain and downright dangerous below 40^ F or on ice and snow.
Well Amirm over at Audio Science seems to have a problem with every Schiit product he tests .
I have never seen anything like it .

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #5,807 of 6,472
I don't think there's a "grounding issue" - I think different electronic products will behave differently in different environments. E.g., you buy a USB cable and you notice it takes a little longer to transfer files, but you're fine with that because the cable was cheaper.

Everything has trade-offs. My tires are great on dry pavement, but not quite as good in the rain and downright dangerous below 40^ F or on ice and snow.

The poster is referring to a review you apparently haven't read. And the Jots that are acting out in different environments are starting to pile up. Give it a break. For crying out loud, you made a hobby out of trying to eliminate noise from the Jot. Good grief, is it that hard to understand some of us want straightforward products that don't make you spend more time and money on trying to iron them out? You have a warped notion of what this is all about. If you want to practice something sign up for a college course, stop spouting nonsense. If you actually bother reading every post others are elaborating on this a little.

This dude's tires are great on dry pavement... o, my, God.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #5,808 of 6,472
Well Amirm over at Audio Science seems to have a problem with every Schiit product he tests .
I have never seen anything like it .

index.php

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #5,809 of 6,472
So when I build an amp with a ground loop or don't isolate parts well enough, it's just the amp behaving differently and they aren't actually problems?

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #5,810 of 6,472
So when I build an amp with a ground loop or don't isolate parts well enough, it's just the amp behaving differently and they aren't actually problems?

You know this to be the case, or are you just parroting someone from another web site? If the latter, you might want to vet the source, the source’s history and agenda.

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #5,811 of 6,472

You don't build an amp with a ground loop.
This can occur for various reasons, having nothing to do with the amp design.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #5,813 of 6,472

(1.) You can't "build an amp with a ground loop" - it's the user that creates the ground loop.
"loop" is the functional word there: you configure the amp such that it's electrically connected (via interconnects) to, say, a DAC, and then you power each with different sources that have differing grounds. That is, YOU created the ground loop, not the manufacturer. One-sided interconnects can help here, amongst all the other stuff already discussed.

(2.) There is no such thing as "isolate parts well enough" (well violating consumer protection laws I suppose) - the designer can simply increase isolation with diminishing returns and increasing cost.
At some point the designer must make a product decision and the consumer can choose their price point. Think of it as braking distance from 60 mph: as long a car meets the minimum standard it brakes "well enough", but a sports car can brake much harder and much longer than a mini-van. Taking steps to eliminate EMI, like shielded power cords, can help here, plus all the other stuff already mentioned.

(3.) Each consumer's environment and use-case is unique - see point #1. I live in a 25 story condo building in a major downtown, an EMI disaster, whereas someone else might live in the country with their own clean power supply and little EMI.

If one is unhappy with the trade-offs of the Jot, buy a different amp. What's with all the biitching about it? It's like saying, "Every time I track my Chevy Aveo the brakes heat soak :confounded:" Upgrade the brakes or buy a track car.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #5,816 of 6,472
Speaking of love, and cost no object, @bfreedma I am lusting after that amp in your avatar:sunglasses:.

Someday I will upgrade the Jot. and when that day comes the Headamp GS-X mk2 is my current choice.
Being that that my main system is going to also be used for music creation, I will stay Solid State here. You could not do any better IME

I see you also have a Woo Audio WA6-SE, well covered on the amp front:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #5,817 of 6,472
Speaking of love, and cost no object, @bfreedma I am lusting after that amp in your avatar:sunglasses:.

Someday I will upgrade the Jot. and when that day comes the Headamp GS-X mk2 is my current choice.
Being that that my main system is going to also be used for music creation, I will stay Solid State here. You could not do any better IME

I see you also have a Woo Audio WA6-SE, well covered on the amp front:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment(s). I’m very happy with the GS-X mk2 and doubt I’ll ever be tempted to look at other SS options.

Headamp has really gotten better organized, so when you’re ready to buy, they appear to be in stock. I waited a little over a year for mine back when Justin was more of a one man show - wasn’t an issue as as the wait was well known. Of course, the longer you wait for your GSX, the better it sounds :wink:

The 6-SE makes for a nice change up, but the GSX gets used about 95% of the time.

Edit. After your post, I checked my profile and noticed that I hadn’t added the Yggdrasil to the gear list. Thanks for the reminder - it’s only been a year or so...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #5,818 of 6,472
I will never part with mine. :thumbsup:

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #5,819 of 6,472
so after getting the noisy one here in my office at home i verified it is indeed noisy (note my personal jot is NOT noisy plugged in exactly the same way to the same components) and its noticeable for sure. i went ahead and used a small wire and grounded the lid and basically it eliminated the noise there is a very tiny hint left when the volume it cranked up pretty good but its 90+% better. so i am now going to make a more permanent fix for this one. but yes in fact the noise was almost gone doing this. im now curious to know why some make noise and some dont im going to take mine apart tomm and see if maybe the connection is better there.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #5,820 of 6,472
The reason I never bought a Jotunheim is because I was scared it too would have hum issues like my Asgard 2 which hummed like a damn truck. I finally got a ground loop which got rid of the hum but it also seemingly cut my volume by half. Loved the Asgard 2 but settled on a O2 which got rid of the hum and was louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back