Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #5,836 of 6,472
Yep, the chassis we have here look correct, but I'm putting a "Jotunheim and Lyr 3 Chassis Grounding Test Procedure" together right now just to be sure in the future. (Lyr 3s use the same pins.)

Thanks for the info!
nice! my black jot i just opened (no noise) is clearly bare metal inside the keyhole. not at all like the silver one just fyi.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #5,837 of 6,472
Amir would like @Jason Stoddard to know this:
Please let Jason know that in addition to the keyholes, the bottom case also has paint in the chamfer where the grounding screw goes. I first fixed the keyhole and was surprised it was still not grounded until I discovered the issue with the bottom screw as I documented in my original post.
No, we're not one and the same person. I am NwAvGuy.

KIDDING

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #5,838 of 6,472
Amir would like @Jason Stoddard to know this:

No, we're not one and the same person. I am NwAvGuy.

KIDDING

None of the ones I've tested were like that. The paint is ground out of the chamfer during manufacturing specifically for that purpose.

In any case, the new test procedure checks for grounding in toto, and went into effect today. All shipping Jotunheims were checked and found to have proper grounding. Tomorrow we'll go through the rest of the stock just to be sure.

Again, if you have issues with your specific Jotunheim (or any other product), please contact us at info@schiit.com and we'll be happy to take care of it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #5,839 of 6,472
awesome to hear you guys doing that. im guessing there were a few maybe that somehow slipped through. if i ever hear one again ill prob go ahead and see if i can get the unit to them so they can see it first hand. ill check my lyr when it gets here but im sure it will be fine. out of all the schiit gear ive had myself (its been a LOT lol) ive only had the ONE unit i know personally of that was buzzing like this. otherwise i have not heard one like that.

and a huge thank you to jason and schiit for putting procedures like this in place as soon as something was found. it makes a HUGE difference and really shows they do care and want to put out the best they can. i know im a fan and have been for a long time. many other companies would have scoffed at what a couple people found and been to big headed to even care. it means a lot!!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #5,840 of 6,472
None of the ones I've tested were like that. The paint is ground out of the chamfer during manufacturing specifically for that purpose.

In any case, the new test procedure checks for grounding in toto, and went into effect today. All shipping Jotunheims were checked and found to have proper grounding. Tomorrow we'll go through the rest of the stock just to be sure.

Again, if you have issues with your specific Jotunheim (or any other product), please contact us at info@schiit.com and we'll be happy to take care of it.

Can I get a replacement Jot first and then send mine back? I don't have another amplifier.

Also, I'm not sure this ground issue is the end of it. I get the same type of noise to I think the same degree with a new HDVA 600 whereas I got only what you describe as expected slight noise at the end far from listening volume with a CMA400i. Seems like too much of a coincidence. I used the Jot's power cable with the HDVA 600. The other cables are in play as well, all of them bought from you. If I'm not mistaken one of the reviews the Gumby's product page quotes mentions that the Gumby has an exceptionally poor noise floor. An Asgard 2 here, a Magni 3 there, other comments elsewhere. By now it seems like a bunch of Jots have something going on. Amir mentioned other noise in his review as well, he thinks via USB whereas his Micro BL was silent same as mine. Given GrussGott eliminated noise from his Jot by replacing all the cables (I already have a Hum-X and CMX-2 with the Hum-X I think eliminating one of the multiple noises I have heard from my Jot) I think you should be looking into your cables as well.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5,841 of 6,472
awesome to hear you guys doing that. im guessing there were a few maybe that somehow slipped through. if i ever hear one again ill prob go ahead and see if i can get the unit to them so they can see it first hand. ill check my lyr when it gets here but im sure it will be fine. out of all the schiit gear ive had myself (its been a LOT lol) ive only had the ONE unit i know personally of that was buzzing like this. otherwise i have not heard one like that.

and a huge thank you to jason and schiit for putting procedures like this in place as soon as something was found. it makes a HUGE difference and really shows they do care and want to put out the best they can. i know im a fan and have been for a long time. many other companies would have scoffed at what a couple people found and been to big headed to even care. it means a lot!!

What he said:point_up:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #5,842 of 6,472
First you say this...
Can I get a replacement Jot first and then send mine back? I don't have another amplifier.

And then you list two other amps that you have...
I get the same type of noise to I think the same degree with a new HDVA 600 whereas I got only what you describe as expected slight noise at the end far from listening volume with a CMA400i.
Or did you just borrow them?

But you know that's not how it works. When you get your first microwave, and it has issues, and you send it in for repair, do you think you are entitled to a loaner microwave? Well, you aren't. You'll have to suck it up and live without a microwave for a few weeks.

Presumably you have lived years without an amp before. Don't worry, you can do it again.

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #5,843 of 6,472
First you say this...

And then you list two other amps that you have...

Or did you just borrow them?

But you know that's not how it works. When you get your first microwave, and it has issues, and you send it in for repair, do you think you are entitled to a loaner microwave? Well, you aren't. You'll have to suck it up and live without a microwave for a few weeks.

Presumably you have lived years without an amp before. Don't worry, you can do it again.

Erm,

1) The HDVA 600 is getting returned because it sucks and I need the money.

2) When the Loki was clearly defective I got the replacement... well, I think that one may have worked simultaneously. That's a bummer. This is so pleasant. :) If I could find a solid state amp that is guaranteed to work beautifully with the 800S I'd let shipping and them take a full month if so they desire, but alas, I might have to start pming th3drizzl3 (what a name, by the way) about hospital grade power cords and spend even more money trying to fix the Jot myself. Did I forget to mention how much fun this is!!??

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #5,844 of 6,472
The next likely source is if your audio equipment is near anything with an electrical transformer: appliances, TVs, computers, heat guns apparently ... a $20 EMF meter from a hardware store is fun to play with to understand the causes unique to you (don't assume they'll be obvious).
Today I received a TriField TF2 EMF meter. Fun little thing! Some of the cheaper ones were marketed as being suitable for hunting ghost. No, thanks...
Last week I also received my first and only shielded power cord, a Volex 17604 (2m, 14 AWG).

So I played some more with the Jotunheim, whatever ~6 ft 18 AWG power cord came with the Topping DX7s, a 6 ft 14 AWG power cord from Tripp Lite, and the shielded 2m power cord from Volex.
With the unshielded power cords driving the Jotunheim, I'm measuring around 500 V/m with the unweighted ELEC setting. The readings are quite dependent on how straight the cable is at the measured section and the meter orientation.
With the shielded power cord driving the Jotunheim, I'm measuring around 60 V/m with the unweighted ELEC setting. So the shield is definitely present and effective! There are probably cables with more effective shielding, but this is a significant reduction.
What was the effect on the noise at max volume / high gain / SE selected / nothing connected but headphones and power / touching the knob? Well, none.
However, with the shielded power cord I can touch the volume knob with one hand and the power cord with the other, and the noise is the same. With the unshielded ones, that makes the noise 3x as loud. Interestingly even when touching an unshielded power cord that is plugged into the wall, but not connected to any device.
So while it has not made a difference for this artificial scenario, it demonstrates that the shield is effective. A shielded power cord is probably still a good idea if the cord runs close to other cables, especially in parallel. Too bad Volex only makes a 2m and a 3m version. I'll have to check my power strip cables for shielding, too. The cable in the Tripp Lite TLP606 surge protector that I took apart is not shielded.

I also took my "Anti-Static Field Service Kit" home, with a ground plug adapter I got from Digikey. I wanted to see whether being grounded with a wrist strap prevents the noise when touching the volume knob.
Well... it does not. It eliminated some small part of the noise, but for the most part it was still there. Thinking about it, the wrist strap has a 1 megaohm resistor on it that probably makes the Jotunheim chassis the path of least resistance. Touching a metal outlet cover, however, completely removed the extra noise from touching the volume knob, leaving only the normal faint hiss.

I noticed that in my kitchen, the noise is significantly lower when touching the volume knob, even hard to hear (unless I touch an unshielded power cord). The fridge wasn't cooling in that moment, and there aren't many electronic devices in my kitchen.
Very different story in my living room. But even disconnecting the WiFi router didn't have a noticeable impact, despite the crazy readings it produces on the EMF Meter (> 100 milligauss up close with the unweighted MAG setting, > 20 mW/m^2 with the RF setting, even from 3m away, when in front of the three antennas). It would be interesting to see what the biggest culprits are. Sadly, there are many candidates, so that's an exercise for the weekend.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #5,845 of 6,472
I stopped all ignoring, because it messes with my responses, as I can't see everything I'm responding to.

Not a Schiit issue but consider the source, and I understand.

The HDVA 600 is getting returned because it sucks

Really, I gets good reviews on Amazon, 6 out of 7 love it. It's overpriced compared too, and does not have the preamp capabilities of the Jotunheim.

If you need the cash then send it back without comment. But "it sucks' is too harsh IMO, so I'll see your posts, but not respond, hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #5,846 of 6,472
Today I received a TriField TF2 EMF meter. Fun little thing! Some of the cheaper ones were marketed as being suitable for hunting ghost. No, thanks...
Last week I also received my first and only shielded power cord, a Volex 17604 (2m, 14 AWG).

So I played some more with the Jotunheim, whatever ~6 ft 18 AWG power cord came with the Topping DX7s, a 6 ft 14 AWG power cord from Tripp Lite, and the shielded 2m power cord from Volex.
It would be interesting to see what the biggest culprits are. Sadly, there are many candidates, so that's an exercise for the weekend.

WOW! you're badarse! That's a pretty nice EMF meter ... your experiments will be super interesting.

Needless to say, many people have found when they rearrange their (even shielded) interconnects away from (even shielded) power cords they get much better sound quality and/or eliminate noise. Many times cheaper shielded interconnects will say "100% shielded" which is misleading because that doesn't mean 100% of the EMF doesn't have an effect (which you can test with a volt meter)

For me, the Jot is a great SS amp, but you do need some "audio hygiene" to get the best out of it.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #5,848 of 6,472
I stopped all ignoring, because it messes with my responses, as I can't see everything I'm responding to..
I am ignoring, but if curiosity gets the better of me and I feel up to it, I click "Show Ignored Content" at the bottom RHS of the page.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #5,849 of 6,472
By the way, is there any danger of getting electrocuted by the Jot? I've seen that claim and want to make sure.

Make sure, no body part hanging or sticking out near Jot. :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #5,850 of 6,472
Just in case anyone is curious about SE vs Balanced output with the Multibit Jot and HD6XXs:

I received a Massdrop / Venture Electronics 1.2M balanced cable today. My initial impressions are that it sounds considerably "better" than the stock SE cable. There's an obvious volume difference, but my following thoughts are after doing a quick check at compensating volumes. There are more upper mids / lower highs for sure. Sounds warmer, more vibrant, and less grainy. The bass seems a little bigger but not drastically expanded. On the con side, it almost seems like there is a tiny bit less soundstage and... could be due to everything sounding just "more".

All in all, I my initial thoughts are this was a worthwhile upgrade, but I have a nagging suspicion that the under 40 crowd might prefer the subdued highs of the SE cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back