Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #5,491 of 6,473
That's a little promising to hear. I'm planning to audition the HD800S and LCD-X in the coming weeks and wanted to at least try the 800S with the balanced cable. I do probably need an upgrade from the Magni 3 as well. Hoping to keep one of the two headphones and be content with the overall sound and set-up. Already have a Modi Multibit. Reluctant to go with the Questyle CMA400i as I can't be arsed with eq, hence relying on the Loki for compensation.

I started at the top with Yggy as far as Schiit multi-bit, but have auditioned PS audio Stellar GCD, RME ADI-2 and a used Benchmark 2, and not impressed.

Yggy is world class, competes with $6k to 15k dac's easy.

The balance cable on the Xs is very nice. So, even with the X's being sensitive balanced on high gain rocks.
Waiting for the Solv X, It costs $75 more than the 6xx's :upside_down:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #5,493 of 6,473
If you buy the $1700 one you do get both.
But why? I got mine for $999 open box creators edition, then bought a sweet Norne Solvine balanced and a LCD 4 carbon fiber headband for 100 less.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #5,495 of 6,473
I started at the top with Yggy as far as Schiit multi-bit, but have auditioned PS audio Stellar GCD, RME ADI-2 and a used Benchmark 2, and not impressed.

Yggy is world class, competes with $6k to 15k dac's easy.
Oh, that's interesting! The ADI-2 is Amir's recommendation under $1000, it seems (based on measurements, obviously). I suspect I'll feel similar about the Topping DX7s next week, but I'm trying to keep an open mind...

Okay, back on topic...

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #5,496 of 6,473
I'm getting it for $989 with the headband and new. Problem is the Norne cable would tack on an additional $400 and at the moment I don't know if this is the headphone I want.

Ya, they are expensive but I notice much improvement from stock. He has a 30 day return policy.
I like silver so it costs. Some think I'm an idiot, I don't care.:darthsmile:

What was the topic anyway? lol

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #5,497 of 6,473
Oh, that's interesting! The ADI-2 is Amir's recommendation under $1000, it seems (based on measurements, obviously). I suspect I'll feel similar about the Topping DX7s next week, but I'm trying to keep an open mind...

Okay, back on topic...

You should, but I'm all done with dac's till an upgrade for Yggy comes along. Simply to many other things to upgrade instead. It's end game for me.

Interested to read your impressions.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #5,498 of 6,473
So after doing a little bit of searching it seems like the internal DACs for some reason suck in comparison to the Modi Multibit, which I happen to have. Apparently even Schiit recommend not using them. :/ I just hope the Jot is a significant improvement to the Magni 3, and balanced pans out even with a Modi Multibit.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #5,499 of 6,473
They are pretty cheap and plentiful on the used market now with Lyr 3 just coming out. I need balanced for the preout to my monitors.
But I'd never go back to single ended HP's for home listening.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #5,500 of 6,473
[QUOTE="the finisher, post: ...
But I'd never go back to single ended HP's for home listening.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and I use 4 pin to SE adapters when forced to, (like to use my LYR-3).

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #5,501 of 6,473
Hi, I am very interested in Jot with MB Dac. Is there is any major sound quality improvement compared to the old Jot dac which is AK chip, and how is Jot compared to Mojo or CMA400i is it on the same level regarding its dac+amp performance? because I've heard some people says Mojo is much better than Jot with AK DAC, (at least in my hometown where is Mojo is very hyped and nothing beat this thing in this price range).

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #5,502 of 6,473
Hi, I am very interested in Jot with MB Dac. Is there is any major sound quality improvement compared to the old Jot dac which is AK chip, and how is Jot compared to Mojo or CMA400i is it on the same level regarding its dac+amp performance? because I've heard some people says Mojo is much better than Jot with AK DAC, (at least in my hometown where is Mojo is very hyped and nothing beat this thing in this price range).

I have Mojo and Jot + 4490 DAC...very little difference in my opinion, but I don't have great ears. The Mojo may be a touch warmer, but when I did extensive A/B testing recently I didn't notice enough difference to say one is better than the other. If I had to choose only one of them, it would definitely be the Jot as the Mojo is a pain to use in a desktop situation. I keep my Focal Elear on my Mojo / work laptop and have my HD800S on the main rig with the Jot (a little bright pairing).

I have a Bimby on the way, I hoping that will tame the brightness of the HD800S a bit. I didn't want to go with MB upgrade for Jot because I may want to keep Bimby as DAC and upgrade to Ragnarok amp in the future. Also, if I don't hear much difference with the multi-bit, I can send the Bimby back within 15 days...can't really do that with the Jot MB upgrade.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #5,503 of 6,473
I had jot with first version of akm dac and mojo. Mojo+jot wonderful jot with akm orrible but it is just my opinion. Now schiit made new version(active) of akm dac. Probably sounds better. I had several hardware with akm chip and i like the sound. Probably the first dac board was bad design

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #5,504 of 6,473
I have Mojo and Jot + 4490 DAC...very little difference in my opinion, but I don't have great ears. The Mojo may be a touch warmer, but when I did extensive A/B testing recently I didn't notice enough difference to say one is better than the other. If I had to choose only one of them, it would definitely be the Jot as the Mojo is a pain to use in a desktop situation. I keep my Focal Elear on my Mojo / work laptop and have my HD800S on the main rig with the Jot (a little bright pairing).

I have a Bimby on the way, I hoping that will tame the brightness of the HD800S a bit. I didn't want to go with MB upgrade for Jot because I may want to keep Bimby as DAC and upgrade to Ragnarok amp in the future. Also, if I don't hear much difference with the multi-bit, I can send the Bimby back within 15 days...can't really do that with the Jot MB upgrade.

I had jot with first version of akm dac and mojo. Mojo+jot wonderful jot with akm orrible but it is just my opinion. Now schiit made new version(active) of akm dac. Probably sounds better. I had several hardware with akm chip and i like the sound. Probably the first dac board was bad design

Hi, thanks for the answer, Many said that Mojo dac is way better than the Jot AKM or MB. I think I will give Jot MB a shot for audition, as I will use it for desktop use so portability is not an issue. For now I am using Oppo ha2se for dac+amp if I switch to Jot MB will it give a audible improvement?

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #5,505 of 6,473
For now I am using Oppo ha2se for dac+amp if I switch to Jot MB will it give a audible improvement?

Ha! That was my first ever DAC, I pulled it out and dusted it off the other day to compare to Mojo. Honestly, it sounds really good and not a lot different from the Mojo. Considering it was $300, I should have just stuck with it instead of buying the Mojo. I do think Jot MB will be a noticeable improvement over the Oppo, which is why it sits in my drawer these days.

DACs.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back