Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,356 of 6,469
I originally purchased the Jot. without a DAC card with the hopes that one day a multi-bit card would be put out. After some discouraging news from Schiit regarding the, lower than likely chance I got a Bifrost to upgrade my gen one Modi. The Gen 5 USB 4490 Bifrost was such a jump up in quality from the Modi that i was quite pleased. I bought the Bifrost over the modi multi due to the hype of Gen 5 usb and its upgradeability, as well as the unknown (multi-bit).

At the release of the new DAC cards I was ready to give multi-bit a chance, now I was put in an odd position...upgrade Bifrost or the Jot. I rationalized trying the Jot card first and if I did not notice an improvement I would trade it in for the Bifrost upgrade. Installation was a breeze, but upon first listen I noticed a very hot treble that was disappointing to say the least. I saw the Mike's post about burn in time and just let it run.

After a few days of running I tried the multi-Jot again and found a noticeable decrease in the treble harshness and an increase in the low end. So far so good, still about inline with the Bifrost. The new multi-bit card was easily competing with the Bifrost, I was surprised!

Upon first listen this morning (after 3-days away with the Jot being left on) I could not believe the improvement in sound. I am noticing a greater separation and clarity in all my music! The bass is more impactful as well. The more natural reproduction of guitar notes seems to one of the biggest gains I have noticed this morning. I keep getting lost in the music.

The one downside... poorly recorded music really bites hard. Going from Daft punk's Voyager (Great recording) to Gnarls Barkley's Gone Daddy Gone(poor quality) was painful. I am convinced now to let the Bifrost go, although, I cannot help but wonder what the Bimby would have sounded like with the Jot.

Anyone else notice the Jot. running warmer with the multi-bit module? Is it running warmer because I am running the internal DAC vs. feeding it with the former external DAC (Bifrost)?

For reference I am listening through M1060's and my Oppo PM-1's and both sound fantastic on the Jot.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #5,359 of 6,469
Anyone else notice the Jot. running warmer with the multi-bit module? Is it running warmer because I am running the internal DAC vs. feeding it with the former external DAC (Bifrost)?

I had the original 4490 DAC in my Jot, and I'd say I do notice that it is running a bit hotter with the MB module (though as the owner of an Asgard 2 I would actually call the heat level of the Jot merely "warm"). Some of the additional heat may be due to the MB module being larger, having more electronics on it, and and being mounted horizontally instead of vertically. It can been seen when looking straight down into the vent holes where the 4490 couldn't, so it is forcing some of the heat from the main board to work it's way around to escape instead of being able to rise straight out of the vents.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if the MB DAC module has a higher output level vs the original 4490? Was the original 4490 1.5V output and the new MB 2V? It seems like it's taking less twist on the pot to get to the levels I generally listen at.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #5,360 of 6,469
Anyone gone from the 4490 to the MB module, and have impressions to offer?

I had the OG 4490 and I swapped to the MB module. It was almost 5 days between me taking out the 4490 and installing the MB (Schiit forgot to send the standoff in my kit) so take my impressions with a grain of salt. I think the new MB module has a higher output level (good), my HD6xx series cans (I have them all) sound much more open (like with my Woo WA3/BF MB), the treble is excellent, and the bass feels more powerful and controlled. I think if I were able to listen to a 4490 and a MB side-by-side it would be really easy to hear the differences between the 2. Like another poster stated, I'm also considering selling my Bifrost MB, and I wasn't thinking that until I installed the new Jot MB module. I don't know if it's the fact that it's multibit or if it's just a better design (it would be interesting to hear the G2 4490 vs the MB) but I'm really liking it.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #5,361 of 6,469
I was also wondering if anyone knows if the MB DAC module has a higher output level vs the original 4490? Was the original 4490 1.5V output and the new MB 2V? It seems like it's taking less twist on the pot to get to the levels I generally listen at

The output level is higher than my external Bifrost was by a pretty noticeable amount.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #5,362 of 6,469
Do people still want a visual how-to on installing the DAC module? Mine should be here today (finally). If it comes with all the parts, I'll install it tonight.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #5,363 of 6,469
I am planning to get the Mimby to upgrade the internal dac of my Jot. Beside of the added connectivity option, do you think it is better than the internal mb being offered today for Jot? Is the MB have a large difference in sq compared with my smsl m8 dac for those who have experience using the two?

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #5,364 of 6,469
Picked up a used Jot with internal phono module. It's replacing a Magni 3, DJ Art II, and an old passive RCA switch box. I also have a Fulla 2 hooked up as DAC-only, which I plan on replacing with a Mimby some time soon. I typically listen with HD650s (now with a balanced cable).

I'm just a couple days in. So far the sound is great, but I wouldn't say I was entirely unhappy with my old set-up either. It's hardly a night-and-day-difference. I think I'll need to hook up my Magni 3 again and A/B test to see if Jot is truly worth hanging on to, or if I'd be just as pleased selling it and re-investing in a Stack. The Jot is certainly more convenient in that I'm replacing multiple items (plus the switch had been awkwardly out of the way and hard to reach), so if I went Stack, I'd probably also pick up a Sys.

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #5,365 of 6,469
Picked up a used Jot with internal phono module. It's replacing a Magni 3, DJ Art II, and an old passive RCA switch box. I also have a Fulla 2 hooked up as DAC-only, which I plan on replacing with a Mimby some time soon. I typically listen with HD650s (now with a balanced cable).

I'm just a couple days in. So far the sound is great, but I wouldn't say I was entirely unhappy with my old set-up either. It's hardly a night-and-day-difference. I think I'll need to hook up my Magni 3 again and A/B test to see if Jot is truly worth hanging on to, or if I'd be just as pleased selling it and re-investing in a Stack. The Jot is certainly more convenient in that I'm replacing multiple items (plus the switch had been awkwardly out of the way and hard to reach), so if I went Stack, I'd probably also pick up a Sys.

I'd be interested in hearing your comparison between the Jot and Magni3.

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #5,367 of 6,469
OK. It's installed and working. Stay tuned for the write-up, if I can post pics yet. Here is a test:

Attachments

• IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back