Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 21, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #5,251 of 6,472
Can we install Jot multi bit DAC module? Or need to send back to schiit? When we choose “Installed by schiit”. If it is easy to replace than i might give it try since there is a huge waiting list if i send it back.
There is an option "No installation" $50 cheaper. They will send you the module and you can do what you want with it, i.e., install.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #5,255 of 6,472
I'm considering buying a multibit Jotunheim and was looking for some input before pulling the trigger. It appears that the multibit DAC module for the Jotunheim is not balanced and is not USB Gen 5 (basically a Mimby stripped of optical & digital coax input). Since I already have the Eitr and Mimby I am assuming I would probably be better off buying the Jot with no module then hooking them up instead of buying the multibit option. Seems like it would techhnically be a "downgrade" to get rid of my current stack (with the Eitr) completely for the multibit Jot. Anyone else care to comment?

I have the eitr>mimby>jot and FWIW i think balanced is really over-rated, especially on mid-fi gear like the Jot. I run HD600/50 with a XLR cable but also run SE th-x00s ... I've considered modding the cable for XLR, and have all of the parts, but it sounds pretty damn good as is.

If you're talking about a super-resolving yggy wa22 utopia setup, then sure, but on mid-hi stuff balanced might be a slight improvement on some recordings that's not worth much trouble/$$. Meaning you'd have to critically listen to spot it and the odds you could consistently spot it are probably very low ... thus your money is WAY better spent on a better SE amp, or even better, headphones.

Further, I'd buy the Lyr 3 if I was buying today. Jot is great, but the Lyr looks like a small step up on paper, especially if you don't need the modules. Lyr 3 w/ TS tube (which you can buy from amazon for the same total cost and have 2 tubes to roll)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #5,256 of 6,472
I have the eitr>mimby>jot and FWIW i think balanced is really over-rated, especially on mid-fi gear like the Jot.
Further, I'd buy the Lyr 3 if I was buying today. Jot is great, but the Lyr looks like a small step up on paper, especially if you don't need the modules. Lyr 3 w/ TS tube (which you can buy from amazon for the same total cost and have 2 tubes to roll)

Yeah, the Lyr 3 looks pretty enticing too. I tend to prefer solid state amps, but could always buy it with the LISST and tube option to play around with/compare. I had the Vali 2 for a while, but sold it after getting the Magni 3.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #5,257 of 6,472
Yeah, the Lyr 3 looks pretty enticing too. I tend to prefer solid state amps, but could always buy it with the LISST and tube option to play around with/compare. I had the Vali 2 for a while, but sold it after getting the Magni 3.
Lyr 2 with LISST was no match for the Jotunheim, all the transients sounded rolled off to me. Lyr 3 might of course be a different story.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #5,259 of 6,472
Not sure about this module but to upgrade the Bifrost it has to be sent back to Schiit because the upgrade involves programming.
Hmmmmm, i have already ordered multibit DAC for self install. Looks like nobody has done DAC installation for jot as there is no definite answer or there is no clear instructions. If programming is required, than i guess i will need to send back my unit anyway..and pay extra...

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #5,260 of 6,472
Hmmmmm, i have already ordered multibit DAC for self install. Looks like nobody has done DAC installation for jot as there is no definite answer or there is no clear instructions. If programming is required, than i guess i will need to send back my unit anyway..and pay extra...
The multibit upgrades aren't sold for self-install, because you can't do the programming yourself, only Schiit can. So it's safe to assume that no programming is required for the Jotunheim DAC module. It has an analog interface to the Jotunheim, so all required programming will have been done on the module itself by Schiit beforehand.

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #5,261 of 6,472
The Bifrost most likely needs motherboard firmware update as the inputs and DAC/analog are on separate boards, the Jot/Lyr multibit has input and DAC/analog all on the one unit designed to work together so no need for firmware reprogramming (no Jot motherboard digital handling firmware to upgrade anyhoo)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #5,264 of 6,472
Well, I'll know shortly. My MB module for the Jot shipped today. Should have it in a few days.

Please inform us what's involved in the self install. I did a self install on my Bifrost from Uber to 4490. The actual card replacement was a breeze, removed 1 or 2 screws, pulled out the Uber board, slipped in the 4490 board and replaced the screws. Easy Peasy. Getting into the unit wasn't too difficult, nor was the reassembly but lining up the LED's was a bit tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back