Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #5,236 of 6,472
I'm sure every Jot owner is waiting to hear impressions of the new Multibit card. I'm especially interested in hearing impressions of the new 4490 card which is now standard with new Jot's. Gone is the passive mode that some complained about. I have the old dac card and always thought it was underrated. Tried the Bitfrost Multibit , was it better, maybe, but not $600 better (sent it back). From Jason Stoppard of Schiit, about the new 4490 card.......

" We went from the original’s passive summing to active summing using the OPA1662, and went from the original’s single-pole passive filter to an active two-pole filter.

Now, some people may think this is a less “pure” approach, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or, in this case, hearing. And the new 4490 card sounds significantly better. It’s now standard in both Jotunheim and Lyr 3."

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #5,237 of 6,472
I installed my own Gen5 USB for Yaggdrasil, piece of cake if you are used to putting computers together or installing PCI/e cards or USB headers on the MB. Yeah, just take care of the static and everything else should be fine.

Remove the volume knob and the nut and washer behind it. Then remove all the screws in the back. Slide the top cover forward to unlock and you will see where to install the dac.
Do you know if any soldering is involved? Thanks

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,243 of 6,472
Has anyone compared the Jot to the THX AAA 789 Linear Amp thats on sale at Massdrop currently? Just curious. Both seem to be in the same price range and are of similar wattage.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #5,244 of 6,472
Has anyone compared the Jot to the THX AAA 789 Linear Amp thats on sale at Massdrop currently? Just curious. Both seem to be in the same price range and are of similar wattage.
There's a link to another forum in the comments on Massdrop with a comparison between the two on page 3 (of the forum). Can't be more specific without this comment getting deleted cause rules.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #5,246 of 6,472
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #5,247 of 6,472
I'm considering buying a multibit Jotunheim and was looking for some input before pulling the trigger. It appears that the multibit DAC module for the Jotunheim is not balanced and is not USB Gen 5 (basically a Mimby stripped of optical & digital coax input). Since I already have the Eitr and Mimby I am assuming I would probably be better off buying the Jot with no module then hooking them up instead of buying the multibit option. Seems like it would techhnically be a "downgrade" to get rid of my current stack (with the Eitr) completely for the multibit Jot. Anyone else care to comment?

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #5,248 of 6,472
I'm considering buying a multibit Jotunheim and was looking for some input before pulling the trigger. It appears that the multibit DAC module for the Jotunheim is not balanced and is not USB Gen 5 (basically a Mimby stripped of optical & digital coax input). Since I already have the Eitr and Mimby I am assuming I would probably be better off buying the Jot with no module then hooking them up instead of buying the multibit option. Seems like it would techhnically be a "downgrade" to get rid of my current stack (with the Eitr) completely for the multibit Jot. Anyone else care to comment?
I would agree with that. One caveat, the Multibit module is single ended internally, but converts that output to balanced before passing it on to Jotunheim. Mimby does not. However, as far as I know the Jotunheim basically does the same thing with its single ended input, so it's probably a wash. Your current solution has better USB and two additional inputs, so it's more flexible.

A more interesting upgrade would be Gumby, that's obviously much pricier.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #5,249 of 6,472
Can we install Jot multi bit DAC module? Or need to send back to schiit? When we choose “Installed by schiit”. If it is easy to replace than i might give it try since there is a huge waiting list if i send it back.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #5,250 of 6,472
I would agree with that. One caveat, the Multibit module is single ended internally, but converts that output to balanced before passing it on to Jotunheim. Mimby does not. However, as far as I know the Jotunheim basically does the same thing with its single ended input, so it's probably a wash. Your current solution has better USB and two additional inputs, so it's more flexible.

A more interesting upgrade would be Gumby, that's obviously much pricier.
I concur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back