Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #5,206 of 6,468
I have made my own 4pin xlr female to trs male adapter for my headphones, as I converted my 650 cable to balanced 4 pin. Using this method takes about 2 seconds to switch from balanced to SE and the differences are very obvious with this fast of a switch.

uQchJRG.jpg
Would you believe I can't find a single "How-To" online for a 4 Pin to TRS! Loads of 3 pin but zero 4 pin. How do you wire this please? I'm making one for my cables. I have the connectors and cable, I just need to know which wire goes where. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #5,207 of 6,468
Would you believe I can't find a single "How-To" online for a 4 Pin to TRS! Loads of 3 pin but zero 4 pin. How do you wire this please? I'm making one for my cables. I have the connectors and cable, I just need to know which wire goes where. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Should be enough info here
8727493.gif

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #5,208 of 6,468

Should be enough info here
8727493.gif

Yep then on the TRS just connect the two grounds together on the sleeve, the right + to ring and left + to tip.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #5,209 of 6,468
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,210 of 6,468
Has anyone tried the HD660S on the Jotunheim yet? So far I find the Mimby & Magni 3 to be great with them but I'm recently getting urge to go balanced.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,213 of 6,468
Got my Jotunheim on thursday and I've been burning it in ever since by playing music continuously.

I did my first serious listenings today with three headphones:

AKG K812
AKG K702
Audeze LCD-2

K812's were an excellent match I think. K712's are okay. Audezes don't really sound that good with the Jotunheim...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #5,214 of 6,468
Got my Jotunheim on thursday and I've been burning it in ever since by playing music continuously.

AKG K812
AKG K702
Audeze LCD-2

K812's were an excellent match I think. K712's are okay. Audezes don't really sound that good with the Jotunheim...
What is your basis for comparison such as previous amps used, genre of music, level that you listen at?

FYI: Might want to fill in your profile so it would give others a starting point to understanding your comments and have a basis of comparison :ksc75smile:.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #5,215 of 6,468

AKG K812
AKG K702
Audeze LCD-2

Oh no. Those last 2 sentences worry me. May have to take this off the list of potential upgrades :frowning2:

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #5,216 of 6,468
Oh no. Those last 2 sentences worry me. May have to take this off the list of potential upgrades :frowning2:

This was my first prolonged listening with the Audezes: it might just be I don't like how they sound - the pairing itself may be OK. Test yourself, if you a change to do so.

MSB Signature DAC IV Plus was used as a dac ( with volume control bypassed ). It was connected with balanced XLR cables ( HGA Silver lace & some cheaper Cordial microphone cables too )

I did listen to various kinds of music, but mostly Natalie Merchant and Oscar Peterson.

Its difficult for me to compare the Jotunheim to other amps, since I've previously owned only combo units ( like Soekris dac1541, Marantz HD-DAC1, Chord Hugo&Mojo ... )

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #5,217 of 6,468
I was curious about this recent thread, because I actually had the opposite experience. (Not exactly same, but similar components). I have a Modi2-multi DAC, running into a Darkvoice 336, and into Jot. For HD600’s, there seems to be warmer and deeper sound from DV, and Jot, is more clinical and cold, with almost a hollow sound. For my EL-8C’s I love the pairing with the Jot. Tried DV with EL-8, and that really did not work. For my set up and ears, the Jot & EL-8C, has a full sound, good stage, and is reasonably balanced. I have not tried a ton of amps, but combo compares pretty well with my Stax SR-L500s which to me sound great.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #5,218 of 6,468
I was curious about this recent thread, because I actually had the opposite experience. (Not exactly same, but similar components). I have a Modi2-multi DAC, running into a Darkvoice 336, and into Jot. For HD600’s, there seems to be warmer and deeper sound from DV, and Jot, is more clinical and cold, with almost a hollow sound. For my EL-8C’s I love the pairing with the Jot. Tried DV with EL-8, and that really did not work. For my set up and ears, the Jot & EL-8C, has a full sound, good stage, and is reasonably balanced. I have not tried a ton of amps, but combo compares pretty well with my Stax SR-L500s which to me sound great.
What you are finding is what many will notice after time that there are some types of amps that are better paired with certain types of headphones. The 336 is a OTL amp and is better suited for higher impedance headphones while the Jot is a low impedance amp better suited for low impedance headphones but there is some over lap and it also depends on the design of the amp. I've found that the Jot is actually pretty good with the HD650 since the HD650 is a bit on the warmer side and the Jot being slightly on the brighter side they made a decent pairing but I'd still rather use a OTL amp (BH Crack) with the HD650 since there is better synergy between the headphone and amp IMO.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #5,219 of 6,468
In this hobby synergy is everything...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back