Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 23, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,847 of 6,472
I got to try Vidar and Saga (which has the same footprint as Jot) and it worked pretty well. Of course Vidar is huge in comparison but it has good quality sound.

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #4,848 of 6,472
Yeah, I'd just get a Vidar instead of that NuPrime thing. Why double up on a DAC and volume control (and why pay more). The Vidar sounds fantastic. Hopefully Schiit will release a smaller/less powerful 'pivot point' amp (mini Vidar).

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,849 of 6,472
Jason was talking about a Jot sized mini power amp with the Pivot Point technology but wasn't sure there would be enough demand to be worth while. It would be interesting none the less.

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #4,851 of 6,472
Can anyone recommend a aesthetically matching desktop power amp to sit under the Jot. looking at adding passive desktop (hifi) speakers.
Does Schiit have a similar solution in the pipeline? it'll be a great setup for Vinyl listeners as they already have a phono stage for the jot

The only thing I can think of is the half-sized amps from Parasound: https://we.tl/oq9l3R4li3

IME the cool thing about the Jot is it’s balanced, so another route would be using powered monitors. I hooked up a small pair of Genelecs from the XLR outputs of a Jot and it's a great sounding desktop system!

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #4,852 of 6,472
The Emotiva BasX A-100 doesn't fit the half-size criteria but is a solid desktop speaker amp (50 wpc) for $229 and it also allows you to direct the full power to the headphone jack which is useful for hard to power cans like the HE-6.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #4,854 of 6,472
Hey Guys, I have a new pair of CIEM's JHPRO 16v2. They sound great on my current set-up of Bimby USB5/Asgard (original).

But... but... I am living in the very low end of the volume range due to no high/low gain. So the channel level gets imbalanced at lower listening levels. Kind of annoying...

So, I want to get a new amp and I am between the Jot and the Asgard II... anyone compare them? Worth spending the extra cash on the Jot??

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #4,856 of 6,472
Hey Guys, I have a new pair of CIEM's JHPRO 16v2. They sound great on my current set-up of Bimby USB5/Asgard (original).

But... but... I am living in the very low end of the volume range due to no high/low gain. So the channel level gets imbalanced at lower listening levels. Kind of annoying...

So, I want to get a new amp and I am between the Jot and the Asgard II... anyone compare them? Worth spending the extra cash on the Jot??

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!
I haven't really used the low gain mode on my Asgard2 but with very efficient headphones it does help with getting some play in the volume control. Another option maybe to use a Schiit SYS between the Bimby and Asgard to lower the signal level. I have 2 SYS boxes but I use them in reverse to switch between different DACs.

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,857 of 6,472
I had asgard 1, I didn't really like it with my hd800. However, jot is different story...love at first sight!!!! It sparkling my hd800. Of course, it's pairing with him bimby. I would suggest stick with jot!!!

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,858 of 6,472
My Asgard 2, Lyr 2, and Vali 2 were all great with my rather revealing Kaede II IEMs. Sorry, but the Jotunheim is one of the only Schiit amps I've yet to hear. I imagine it would be über quiet and clear though.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #4,859 of 6,472
Hard to say. I've owned both, Jot most recently, but I never listened to either with CIEMS, only with a variety of closed-back phones (Shure SRH1540, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, MrSpeakers Æon). The main reason I got the Jot was for balanced out with the C Flows, but it also find they are slightly cleaner on the higher piano notes. But for single-ended use if cost is an issue, A2 is a great deal.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #4,860 of 6,472
IME the cool thing about the Jot is it’s balanced, so another route would be using powered monitors. I hooked up a small pair of Genelecs from the XLR outputs of a Jot and it's a great sounding desktop system!
Just a short question. How do you switch from powered speakers to headphones output? The switch on the front panel?
THanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back