Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 7, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4,336 of 6,472
  Just ordered one with black chassis.  I'm stoked.

Backordered? I really do wish Schiit offered everything in black, or at least did small batches of black chassis/lids every once in a while to order if you already have the normal aluminum lids. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #4,337 of 6,472
amp section on my hugo tt is noticeable better than jot so i sold my silver jot. i had to order a black one since sold my tt as i cant think of anything as goog as jot in the similar price.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4,338 of 6,472
I didn't like the sine or the PM3 with the Jot. 

I mean I think the Jots only real weakness is soundstage and although the sine is better than the pm3 I think both could have used some soundstage help. 

Thank you very much for that information. Sine has a narrow soundstage to begin with. So I understand when you say, the jot doesn't do much to add anything to the already narrow soundstage. However, I have the Senn 6XX for soundstage. My other concern is the brightness or harshness in the trebles that some people here commented on about the Jot. Although Sine is not a bright headphone, it also doesn't have rolled off trebles. I am wondering whether it sounds too bright with the Jot.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4,339 of 6,472
A lot of the harshness of the combo comes from USB interface. Reclockers dramatically change performance of jot dac. You can clearly hear akm velvet signature with a good reclocker in line. It's significant, especially since jot dac is fully USB powered, something like regen or W4s recovery allows you to slip in your own 5v power, an ifi ipower in my case

That said, some people really dislike akm velvet. I don't mind it, but I couldn't really hear the signature pre reclockers, after it was obvious.

For those that don't know velvet is marketing speak for the way the dac chip designer voiced the 4490.

There was a significant change to the voicing of akm post velvet.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/featured/velvetsound/

I use a belkin gold USB (with 5v taped) to a W4S Recovery powered with a 9v ipower brick to the Jot USB. There were improvements st each step, the biggest was the recovery, then the power supply, and I'm not sure I heard a difference taping the 5v pin on USB, but it's a free 5 min tweak. I purchased the recovery used, they can be had for around 100$. It's a tweak I will carry forward when I eventually move to mimby/bimby but I feel no great rush as these tweaks really improved things.

USB tweaks are always a ymmv because everyone's system is different. For my system the change was significant, I considered wyred but I believe regen or recovery a superior, I think they both use a much better crystal, the recovery uses a Femto clock.

If your buying new I do recommend skipping the dac and going straight for mimby, but if you already have the jot Dac, a regen or recovery for 100$ or less is a good value and will carry forward to new dac

Edit: in case it's not clear the regen and recovery do come with their own 5v power supplies witch replace your pcs USB power, but you can also replace those with higher quality units, witch may not matter if your dac
Is not USB powerd, but jot is so the tweak pays dividends here, the ipower is the cheapest one I could find (50$) that is worth upgrading to

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4,342 of 6,472
  Just buy the Modi MB and connect it SE to your Jotunheim.  It's been stated numerous times by Baldr that there isn't enough real estate to fit Multibit into the Jot.

That is actually what I've ended up doing, however, I was hoping I'd like the delta sigma enough to save space and money on components. But I can't live with less than the modi multibit in the Schiit lineup now that I've used it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #4,349 of 6,472
I had the jitterbug, i used it with dragonlfy.. Pure snake oil

It might fix a problem, but first you have to have a problem to fix.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back