Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,481 of 6,472
  I actually went down the exact same route. I had the Jot + Internal DAC for a few months and auditioned a Mimby with it, which made a significant difference, and ordered a Bimby. Mimby/Bimby grabs more attention compared to the built-in DAC.

That's interesting, more support for a noticeable difference between Mimby/Bimby and the Jot's internal DAC! Ugh, tough decisions...

A big chunk of my music is 24/96 or 24/192 - a bunch of threads on another well-known forum talks about the Mimby/Bimby rounding any bits above 16 (I think they referenced that Mike had brought that up in one of the Schiit MB DAC threads)... and that they're more well suited for redbook.

Not to go too in-depth on DACs in the Jot thread, but anyone have thoughts / opinions on that? That's something that's also been nudging me to get the Jot's dual-AK4490 DAC for now, even though it's DS.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,482 of 6,472

That's interesting, more support for a noticeable difference between Mimby/Bimby and the Jot's internal DAC! Ugh, tough decisions...

A big chunk of my music is 24/96 or 24/192 - a bunch of threads on another well-known forum talks about the Mimby/Bimby rounding any bits above 16 (I think they referenced that Mike had brought that up in one of the Schiit MB DAC threads)... and that they're more well suited for redbook.

Not to go too in-depth on DACs in the Jot thread, but anyone have thoughts / opinions on that? That's something that's also been nudging me to get the Jot's dual-AK4490 DAC for now, even though it's DS.

Do you think it matters?  

Most recordings don't even come close to using the dynamic range capabilities of 16 bit, let alone 24 bit.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,483 of 6,472
Hi, can anyone give me some pointers on Jotunheim vs Lyr 2 vs Valhalla 2 ? I know it's a bit difficult question to ask, but I'll be happy to hear any input anyway.
I currently own Val 2 with HD600 and I plan to get LCD2, so I thought I would sell Val2 and get either LYR2 or Jot (in some time though, in the meantime I would run both from FIIO E09k, which is less than ideal solution, ik). 
Sorry if it is inappropriate to ask this in this thread. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,484 of 6,472
Hi, can anyone give me some pointers on Jotunheim vs Lyr 2 vs Valhalla 2 ? I know it's a bit difficult question to ask, but I'll be happy to hear any input anyway.
I currently own Val 2 with HD600 and I plan to get LCD2, so I thought I would sell Val2 and get either LYR2 or Jot (in some time though, in the meantime I would run both from FIIO E09k, which is less than ideal solution, ik). 
Sorry if it is inappropriate to ask this in this thread. 

Lyr 2 is a solid state and tube hybid.
Lyr 2 is single ended output

Jotunheim is solid state only.
Jotunheim has balanced and single ended output.

Their specs are on Schiit's website.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,485 of 6,472
Oh sorry, I thought it would be obvious I meant some pointers about sound quality/signature etc. I obviously understand the specs and the fact that they are both very different amps in terms "features" but they cost the almost the same and are both often recommended as fairly universal amps. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,486 of 6,472
  Oh sorry, I thought it would be obvious I meant some pointers about sound quality/signature etc. I obviously understand the specs and the fact that they are both very different amps in terms "features" but they cost the almost the same and are both often recommended as fairly universal amps. 

If you are interested in tubes then go for the Lyr.

If you wish to have an all in one balanced DAC/amp go for the Jot.

I have both and they are each great amps in their own right.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,487 of 6,472

It really depends on if you want tubes or not. The Jotunheim is nuetral to slightly bright and the Lyr 2 will be on the warmer side. The Jotunheim has is a very clean sounding amp. I don't believe you will be disappointed either way.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,488 of 6,472
Many thanks for the answers. I didn't realize the answer would be as simple as that and I thought that with the release of Jot there will be more to the conversation rather than just tube/balanced. I guess it was a somewhat silly question of me to ask, but I thought I would ask anyway. Well thanks again. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3,489 of 6,472
The Lyr properly done will cost you a LOT more than the Jot. However balanced is really nice and tubes are sometimes over rated. I moved from Lyr2 to MJ2 and it was a good move. I then bought Jot and listen to it more than to tubes. Jot is >>> Lyr2 or MJ2 with LISST. It is not simple.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,490 of 6,472
From the comments in this thread, it sounds like the general consensus is that the Jot's internal DAC is a waste of money and everyone should forgo it for something better.

So why the hell did Schiit make such a **** DAC?  Is it really that bad, or is it a problem with perception?  Did Schiit come out with a DAC/Amp combo where the DAC only checks the box of "DAC Included"?

I really wish the Schiit team would join in to comment on the relative merit.  It sound like people think this Schitt DAC is ****.  I suspect it's better than most give it credit.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,491 of 6,472
  From the comments in this thread, it sounds like the general consensus is that the Jot's internal DAC is a waste of money and everyone should forgo it for something better.

So why the hell did Schiit make such a **** DAC?  Is it really that bad, or is it a problem with perception?  Did Schiit come out with a DAC/Amp combo where the DAC only checks the box of "DAC Included"?

I really wish the Schiit team would join in to comment on the relative merit.  It sound like people think this Schitt DAC is ****.  I suspect it's better than most give it credit.

Many believe DAC "X" sounds better. Whatever that means.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,493 of 6,472

This.

-It's the same AKM 4490 used for all the Schiit DS DACs (except the older ones in the Gungnir)
-It's got 2 of them, which nothing below the Gungnir has
-It's balanced, which nothing below the Gungnir is
-It's got a beefy analog stage and power supply

I think Schiit has done such a successful job convincing people that multibit + burrito filter is a good thing that people are extrapolating that to mean multi-bit anything >>> DS anything, which seems a gross over simplification to me.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3,494 of 6,472

I am personally extremely happy with the internal DAC. Maybe it's because I haven't heard the multibits to know better.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,495 of 6,472

Do you think it matters?  

Most recordings don't even come close to using the dynamic range capabilities of 16 bit, let alone 24 bit.  

I know what you mean, and have definitely read through the many threads on here (and other forums) about the benefit (or lack thereof) in high-res over 16bit/44.1khz redbook, in particular the DR range available in 24bit vs 16bit as you point out. I'll admit that a lot of the music I've bought (primarily via HDTracks) was in high-res primarily because it was available for not much more $, in a "might-as-well" type attitude. 

I haven't done a proper double-blind test with any of my existing 24/192 files (ie. take same file, convert to 16/48 with a HQ dither / resampling, and then A/B testing), so I'm hoping that others may have some thoughts based on their experiences.

I currently use a Centrance HiFi-M8 (used to be primarily portable via iPhone, but listening on my desktop a lot more these days), which is why I'm currently eyeing the Jot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back