Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,512 of 6,469
People used to joke about a MB Modi years back... give it time they'll come up with someway to squeeze the MB into the Jot, just might take some time.

It's not that simple -- a MB Jot would need twice as many chips compared to MB Modi because its balanced.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,514 of 6,469
I'm sure they'll figure something out. Could be Jot 2 or an entirely new combo unit.

I think it would have to be something new.  The daughter card in the Jotunheim is tiny and the SHARC chip is a big-ass chip.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,516 of 6,469
  Still, it looks like the future of digital music is higher then CD 16bit. Even the Yaggdrasil is only 21bit. What about mutibit tech keeps it from sampling at 24bits or higher

Availability of suitable DAC chips.
The AD5791BRUZ used by Yggy is 20 bit only and costs ~$80 in quantities, Yggy has 4 of them.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,517 of 6,469
  Availability of suitable DAC chips.
The AD5791BRUZ used by Yggy is 20 bit only and costs ~$80 in quantities, Yggy has 4 of them.

You don't even need a multi-bit DAC chip on some multi-bit implementations. Some use a DSP or FPGA chip for upconversion/filtering then it goes through a resistor ladder that you can physically see unlike the AD5791 where the resistor ladder is inside the chip itself.

E.g. Holo Audio Spring DAC or Soekris R2R DAC:

Those resistors look really cool though.

I do like the compact implementation of Schiit Multibit DACs since all of the r2r are inside the AD5547 or AD5791 chip so you just need an I/V stage or discrete buffer stage to amplify the signal to line level.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,518 of 6,469
  Still, it looks like the future of digital music is higher then CD 16bit. 

Why do you think that?

The fastest growing segment of music consumption is streaming. It's mostly not even 16 bit.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,519 of 6,469
Good point. Did not think of that. Personally, never stream music. Or I'm listening to music on the radio (old school) or listening to music converted from CD > flac. I have bought some 24bit encoded Jazz and just thought it was all headed that way.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #3,520 of 6,469
I only listen to the radio in the truck and flac files burned from 16/44.1 CDs with maybe a couple of 24 bit CDs.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3,521 of 6,469

Why do you think that?

The fastest growing segment of music consumption is streaming. It's mostly not even 16 bit.

Quite true - it is just that our DSP optimized time and frequency domains give us higher resolution for the interpolated samples between the original ones which are preserved.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,522 of 6,469

Quite true - it is just that our DSP optimized time and frequency domains give us higher resolution for the interpolated samples between the original ones which are preserved.

That makes complete sense to me.

On the other hand, the stupid "let's force-fit high-rez PCM into a semi-lossy format and introduce sideband noise so we can restore ultrasonic content via pay-to-play origami voodoo" that is MQA, does not.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,523 of 6,469

E.g. Holo Audio Spring DAC or Soekris R2R DAC:

From what I can see it looks like the R2R ladder is switched by the tri-state outputs of the shift registers, kinda relies on the high/low voltage outputs of all the registers matching very closely... (?)

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,524 of 6,469
First listen to the Jot today. What immediately stands out is how precise and tightly controlled the presentation is. If the Valhalla 2 is like having an alcohol buzz, in the way that echo and reverb lingers a bit longer and more loosely, as if you have the faintest sensation of being underwater... the Jot is like taking uppers: intense focus and no time for nonsense. I'm really enjoying it so far. It kicks ass for high intensity digital-heavy production like Death Grips. I like both amps; the Valhalla is more relaxing and the Jot is more aggressive, so can easily see both filling specific moods for me. If you like uppers... try the Jot!

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,525 of 6,469
  From what I can see it looks like the R2R ladder is switched by the tri-state outputs of the shift registers, kinda relies on the high/low voltage outputs of all the registers matching very closely... (?)

From experience: Parts coming from same reels are actually matched very closely....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back