Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 4, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,288 of 6,473
Just received a Jot yesterday and I can see what all the fuss is about. Really nice piece of gear! It's a keeper... for now :innocent:

Have to say the internal Dac is decent enough too. Wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it does.

I have made the a order for Jot+DAC on 2nd Jan, still not received any shipment details. Unlucky it has been backordered today, again! ..... Not sure if they have the stock to be shipped to me.... 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,289 of 6,473
  jot internal is a good dac and convenient.  the mimby is better though if you have the extra cash and space.

The multibit Modi is very affordable but I'd rather a multibit Gungnir tier, fully balanced dac inside a Jotunheim sized case. Until that happens I'm quite content with the convenience and surprising excellence of the Jotunheim's internal dac.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,290 of 6,473
For those with the internal amp, do you use the preamp out? How do you avoid sound coming through your speakers when you need to be using your headphones? I went with the Mimby because of the positive reviews and the hope itd give me more control over my preamp outs.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3,291 of 6,473
  For those with the internal amp, do you use the preamp out? How do you avoid sound coming through your speakers when you need to be using your headphones? I went with the Mimby because of the positive reviews and the hope itd give me more control over my preamp outs.

Yes. I turn my powered speakers off by extending my arm and reaching behind the speaker. Sounds hard, but I don't even have to get out of my chair!

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,292 of 6,473

I put speakers on a remote controlled outlet.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,293 of 6,473
Jan 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #3,294 of 6,473
Get a Schiit Sys and use it on your output line to turn down the volume to zero or switch it to the non occupied input to silence the output.

I decided to connect a SYS this way yesterday. I leave it set to feed the powered speakers (to supply the TV with audio) so that it's a non issue for my wife as she doesn't listen to headphones at all. When I want to listen headphones it's an easy push on the selector button on the SYS for me.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,296 of 6,473
Got my Jot in yesterday, pretty glad I made the purchase.  I liked my HD6XX (HD650) before on my M9XX, but using the M9XX as a DAC and Jot as the amp has stepped it up more than I was expecting.  I'm horrid at describing things so I'll just say it sounds "fuller" than before.  I'm also getting a balanced cable so I'm curious if I'll notice any difference (getting it partially for the cable's looks so even if I don't notice anything, not much of a loss).

I don't actually plan to keep the M9XX though; was gonna buy a Modi Multibit but seeing that Schiit has something new in the pipeline I'll wait to see what that is, since if it's some kind of Bifrost update I'll go for that instead.

Also I knew Jot was gonna be bigger than the M9XX or my Modi/Magni, but it still surprised me quite a bit when I sat them together.  This thing is fairly hefty, can't even imagine how Ragnarok and the like compare.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,297 of 6,473

I have made the a order for Jot+DAC on 2nd Jan, still not received any shipment details. Unlucky it has been backordered today, again! ..... Not sure if they have the stock to be shipped to me.... 
confused_face(1).gif

Got the reply from schiit.... ****! no stock for me! So disappointed and frustrated for the long waiting. I am asking to have my money back first, maybe I will change my mind to buying a chord mojo.... feel so sorry.....
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,298 of 6,473
  Got my Jot in yesterday, pretty glad I made the purchase.  I liked my HD6XX (HD650) before on my M9XX, but using the M9XX as a DAC and Jot as the amp has stepped it up more than I was expecting.  I'm horrid at describing things so I'll just say it sounds "fuller" than before.  I'm also getting a balanced cable so I'm curious if I'll notice any difference (getting it partially for the cable's looks so even if I don't notice anything, not much of a loss).

I don't actually plan to keep the M9XX though; was gonna buy a Modi Multibit but seeing that Schiit has something new in the pipeline I'll wait to see what that is, since if it's some kind of Bifrost update I'll go for that instead.

Also I knew Jot was gonna be bigger than the M9XX or my Modi/Magni, but it still surprised me quite a bit when I sat them together.  This thing is fairly hefty, can't even imagine how Ragnarok and the like compare.

Size wise Ragnarok is to Jotunheim as Jotunheim is to Magni 
eek.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,300 of 6,473
  Got the reply from schiit.... ****! no stock for me! So disappointed and frustrated for the long waiting. I am asking to have my money back first, maybe I will change my mind to buying a chord mojo.... feel so sorry.....
frown.gif

It's been 3 days.

Presumably one keeps products for quite some time.  

If you decided that Jotunheim was right for you, how has that changed in the last 3 days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back