Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 12, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,506 of 6,472
 But the Jot, in my opinion, does something else to the soundstage. I noticed this most particularly through the HD650, which can have a fairly deep soundstage. Through the Jot, the sounds, directly in front, seem rather pressed up against the listener. I enjoyed this sound staging, until I started to listen to quite a few other amplifiers. And once I heard the difference, I fond the Jot rather distracting to listen to. One other note is the Jot is cool sounding, but can also be rather brittle sounding until warmed up. And I mean a warmup of 8 - 24 hours."  

Anybody else agrees to this?

I have no idea what he means by "brittle". So I don't have experience with any other high end amp. And this is the only amp i can power my HE560 with. To me ears, there is something not quite right with the soundstage, sometimes it definitely seems off, but i don't know if its headphones, amp, dac, or source. The 560 thread seems to really praise the 560's soundstage, so i don't think its the headphones. I haven't heard people talk about soundstage much for dacs, so i'm guessing its either the source or amp. I will be getting a balanced cable next week, so I'll see if the greater power helps.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,508 of 6,472
If I buy a Jot without the DAC can it be upgraded to DAC later?

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,510 of 6,472
Nov 13, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #2,511 of 6,472
Nice headphone! With a better DAC, the system scales to another level.

The Modi multibit is no slouch. It's virtually indistinguishable from the bifrost MB to many and not far from gumby. I have to sample one to see if the gumby is worth the upgrade, because many have said it's the best value in the lineup price/performance wise. This is an extremely resolving amp, probably the cleanest i've heard without being forward in the treble. It makes for an outstanding combo. Besides, I have to resist the temptation to spend more money and you're not helping lol. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,512 of 6,472
Just recieved the Jot and the Multi Bit this morning. This is my first Schiit gear and I've been impressed right away. The stack fits nicely on my desktop. Using the HD650 single ended and it's the best its sounded. I like the sound out of the Polaris too, but didn't like fiddling with all of its different settings. Balanced cable for the HD650 is on its way in December. In the meantime I'll enjoy SE.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,513 of 6,472
  The Modi multibit is no slouch. It's virtually indistinguishable from the bifrost MB to many and not far from gumby...

I agree the Mimby is nothing short of a revolution! Here's a great quote:

Have not heard the Bimby but I did demo the Yggy and the difference between the
Mimby and Yggy was not huge, which says it all considering there is a $2,000 difference between the two. Mimby is amazing for the money.

I liked to joke to myself that I had a mini Yggdrasil with the multibit Mimby, but to hear it can hold its own in a direct comparison is humbling.
I have a feeling it would be hard to tell the difference with 16 bit music in a blind comparison!

And I love how the Jotenheim is the best amp yet and isn't priced out of reach!
A $250 dac and a $400 amp and you get endgame level performance...

Thank you Schiit for bringing reasonably priced HiFi to the masses!

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,514 of 6,472

I agree the Mimby is nothing short of a revolution! Here's a great quote:

I liked to joke to myself that I had a mini Yggdrasil with the multibit Mimby, but to hear it can hold its own in a direct comparison is humbling.
I have a feeling it would be hard to tell the difference with 16 bit music in a blind comparison!

And I love how the Jotenheim is the best amp yet and isn't priced out of reach!
A $250 dac and a $400 amp and you get endgame level performance...

Thank you Schiit for bringing reasonably priced HiFi to the masses!

I rarely say I hear things I haven't heard before when upgrading... maybe some very minor increase in clarity, or some barely noticeable glare removed when upgrading to multibit, but I'm noticing things I hadn't heard before, and that was while doing some scheduling work at a lower volume and not really paying attention. So now that I'm paying attention it's just a very noise free resolving wire with gain, basically. Damn good amp for the money. You hear everything in detail, no distortion or coloring.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,515 of 6,472
Anyone using a DAC with the Jot besides one from Schitt?

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,516 of 6,472
Nice headphone! With a better DAC, the system scales to another level.

The Modi multibit is no slouch. It's virtually indistinguishable from the bifrost MB to many and not far from gumby. I have to sample one to see if the gumby is worth the upgrade, because many have said it's the best value in the lineup price/performance wise. This is an extremely resolving amp, probably the cleanest i've heard without being forward in the treble. It makes for an outstanding combo. Besides, I have to resist the temptation to spend more money and you're not helping lol. 

LOL.....

Were it not for a pair of LCD-4 you have there, I wouldn't have recommended a better DAC.

The other day I compared my Jot with my ECBA and a friend's AGD Compass 2. And compared the build in DAC vs my Auralic Vega. Even with a pair of LCD-X, the improvement going from the build in DAC to Vega is very big, more open, more detailed, more nuanced, more transparent, bigger soundstage, by quite a big margin. Easily heard within seconds.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,517 of 6,472
Anyone using a DAC with the Jot besides one from Schitt?

I'm using an Aune T1 with a pretty nice tube. The T1 is not what I'd consider a great DAC. It is around the level of the Modi or Dragonfly Red (underrated btw). What makes it nice is you can tune the sound by swapping out tubes. I probably won't upgrade until I can afford a Gumby or whatever the next great thing is. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,518 of 6,472

LOL.....

Were it not for a pair of LCD-4 you have there, I wouldn't have recommended a better DAC.

The other day I compared my Jot with my ECBA and a friend's AGD Compass 2. And compared the build in DAC vs my Auralic Vega. Even with a pair of LCD-X, the improvement going from the build in DAC to Vega is very big, more open, more detailed, more nuanced, more transparent, bigger soundstage, by quite a big margin. Easily heard within seconds.

I don't think you read my post at all.  You're not supposed to talk me into upgrading. My poor wallet has been murdered lately. Stop, lol. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #2,519 of 6,472
I'm using an Aune T1 with a pretty nice tube. The T1 is not what I'd consider a great DAC. It is around the level of the Modi or Dragonfly Red (underrated btw). What makes it nice is you can tune the sound by swapping out tubes. I probably won't upgrade until I can afford a Gumby or whatever the next great thing is. 

Thank's I haven't seen to many posts with anyone using the Jot with tubes. I'm interested in a possible future Jot/tube combo for the HD800S.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #2,520 of 6,472

LOL.....

I don't think you read my post at all.  You're not supposed to talk me into upgrading. My poor wallet has been murdered lately. Stop, lol. 
LOL..... BTW, I agree with u about the treble, it's one big reason why I keep the Jot. While not as extended as the Compass 2, it's less fatiguing while no less detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back