Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,401 of 6,473
Just got my Jot and noticed that with no music playing when touching the chassis or the volume knob there is a noticeable hum. There is no sound unless touching the unit and I know that people have said that it could be a ground loop issue but wondering if anyone else has this issue with the Jot. It's funny that with the volume turned all the way up and touching the chassis there is no hiss or hum but only occurs at mid or low levels of volume on the control knob.

that sucks man.
i just tested my unit according to your description. no hiss or hum from the unit or through my headphones.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,402 of 6,473
For you guys that have burned in the Jot 100+ hours, do you still notice the Jot sounds better with warmup time?

I wonder if we can get away with turning it off once it's been burned in... Is the difference when listening from a cold start very noticeable?

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,403 of 6,473
Solid state doesn't need warmup like tubes do. 

Also the whole burning process is something that can make sound change, no doubt. But a change for actually better sound that the engineers designed? I don't think so. I'm repeating myself here, but you can convince yourself that the change is always for better if you are expecting it to be better.

You can pass a threshold and make some irreversible changes for worse in your equipment. Don't force burning sessions so lightly. Let the equipment adjust itself with normal use.

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,404 of 6,473
Just got my Jot and noticed that with no music playing when touching the chassis or the volume knob there is a noticeable hum. There is no sound unless touching the unit and I know that people have said that it could be a ground loop issue but wondering if anyone else has this issue with the Jot. It's funny that with the volume turned all the way up and touching the chassis there is no hiss or hum but only occurs at mid or low levels of volume on the control knob.

Same here! Try to touch the chassis and headphones adapter at the same time (in my case this removes the hiss:) ). Actually, sometimes this issue irritates me a little...

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,406 of 6,473
No hum, hiss or any type of noise externally or in the signal with any setting of the volume knob with any of my Schiit. The only piece I leave on all the time is Yggy.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,408 of 6,473
For you guys that have burned in the Jot 100+ hours, do you still notice the Jot sounds better with warmup time?

I wonder if we can get away with turning it off once it's been burned in... Is the difference when listening from a cold start very noticeable?

No difference at all, except for the first 15 seconds where I hear nothing. Hahaha

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,410 of 6,473
  How would a Jot + DAC compare to something like the Audio GD 10.33 for a HD650?

this combo has high praise judging from the previous pages by experienced owners, albeit with balanced cable. some are hearing marvellous things on a whole new level, hopefully some of which are actually in the recording
no personal experience from me though

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #2,411 of 6,473
  How would a Jot + DAC compare to something like the Audio GD 10.33 for a HD650?

The Audio GD 10.33 has more of a well-carmelized flan tone, with leading edges being dominated by hints of lilac and honey.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,412 of 6,473

The Audio GD 10.33 has more of a well-carmelized flan tone, with leading edges being dominated by hints of lilac and honey.

What vintage year?
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,413 of 6,473
Nov 8, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2,414 of 6,473
2012 was more of a banner year in CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back