Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,101 of 6,472
How is the DAC module compared to a Schiit Modi (v1)?

Currently have Modi > Lyr, but looking to make my life simpler with a SS amp, worth getting the DAC module and cutting the Modi out of the loop also?

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,102 of 6,472
  How is the DAC module compared to a Schiit Modi (v1)?

Currently have Modi > Lyr, but looking to make my life simpler with a SS amp, worth getting the DAC module and cutting the Modi out of the loop also?

i mean the cheapest way to get a ss amp is to buy LISST.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,103 of 6,472

i mean the cheapest way to get a ss amp is to buy LISST.

Yeah, however, the Lyr is quite noisy when I use my PM-3, and the LISST tubes are apparently noisier than normal tubes in the original Lyr so they are not really an option unfortunately.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,104 of 6,472
Yeah, however, the Lyr is quite noisy when I use my PM-3, and the LISST tubes are apparently noisier than normal tubes in the original Lyr so they are not really an option unfortunately.

I've always found Lyr the weakest performer in the lineup relative to price. At 349, maybe. At 449, no.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,105 of 6,472
Sadly, I don't wish to read through 141 pages 

but can any one link me to where Jason comments on the Jotunheim, for the LONGEST time the guys at Schiit took a very strong stand against integrated dac/amps [like for ever] so it's odd to see one with their name on it [though tbh it's priced nicely an should bolster sales for them]

I'm just curious to see how they came to this product! If some one has a link to a Blog Entry that'd be awesome 

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,106 of 6,472
  Sadly, I don't wish to read through 141 pages 

but can any one link me to where Jason comments on the Jotunheim, for the LONGEST time the guys at Schiit took a very strong stand against integrated dac/amps [like for ever] so it's odd to see one with their name on it [though tbh it's priced nicely an should bolster sales for them]

I'm just curious to see how they came to this product! If some one has a link to a Blog Entry that'd be awesome 

If you look at the FAQ section on the product page on Schiit's website they have a kind of explanation there.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,107 of 6,472

I've always found Lyr the weakest performer in the lineup relative to price. At 349, maybe. At 449, no.

I've never auditioned the Lyr so I will refrain from commenting on its price:performance ratio but that is the only amplifier in their lineup (and the Rag, but that one's out of question regardless as my Devialet Phantoms are self-sufficient) that I've never really considered purchasing.

Especially now with the Jotunheim out and about the Lyr's appeal has probably diminished - tube fanatics such as myself are most likely going to be more drawn to either the cheaper Valhalla 2 or to the more expensive and MJ2 which is even more of a jack of all trades whilst the ones looking for a very powerful device at around the $400-500 mark may be tempted to just opt for the Jotun due to its extreme versatility/compactness.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2,108 of 6,472
Jot ordered Friday, shipped today 
L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,112 of 6,472
  Could you make an OTL pivot point amp?

Not without antimatter (you'd need "p-channel" tubes, which would use positrons.)

Plus, balanced OTL is not as great of an idea as you might think. To start with, it doubles the output impedance, which OTLs are already challenged by. It also doubles the need for matched tubes, doubles heater current, doubles parts...eek.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back