Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 21, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,086 of 6,472
Have people gone into detail on he6 pairing? I would assume it would be a bit shrill, certainly brighter than neutral

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #2,087 of 6,472
Any ODAC RevB upgraders to Jotunheim? :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #2,088 of 6,472
Have people gone into detail on he6 pairing? I would assume it would be a bit shrill, certainly brighter than neutral

I have only personally run my HE6 on a Jot and through a friend's Cavalli Liquid Gold. The Jot was certainly brighter than the Gold. I still find the Jot enjoyable. Also the bass was actually a little deeper/stronger on the Jot - bass was also a little less controlled, but it is all about the enjoyment, not about uber-precision. If you dislike the overall sound of the Jot, which is slightly aggressive, I suspect you'll dislike it with the HE6. If you are okay with the overall unrelenting nature of the Jot, I think you should also be okay with HE6 through the Jot.

I do eventually plan to try speaker amplifiers, perhaps with something like a Moon NEO 230HAD acting in the role of pre-amplifier. That should give me more of a reference perspective. As I mentioned, my perspective of how the HE6 is supposed to sound is limited.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,091 of 6,472

Yep, an improvement in every way for my LCD-3F.

My favorite HP.

Ok that pushed me over the edge. Jot ordered.

I WILL be trying the MJ2 > Jot and comparing to MJ2 only BTW. I may be wrong but it seems like it may be a worthwhile combination.
If not, I will have a killer backup which unfortunately I found out last night that it's always good to have a backup.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,092 of 6,472

My favorite HP.

Ok that pushed me over the edge. Jot ordered.

I WILL be trying the MJ2 > Jot and comparing to MJ2 only BTW. I may be wrong but it seems like it may be a worthwhile combination.
If not, I will have a killer backup which unfortunately I found out last night that it's always good to have a backup.

I'm still scratching my head about this one. MJ2 is a more powerful amp than Jot. The point of a preamp is to color the sound in ways that the main amp can't, ala Freia and Vidar or MJ2 and Ragnarok. You wouldn't use the WA-5 as a preamp for asgard or Liquid Glass as a preamp for magni. 

Try your experiment, by all means, but I don't see the point. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2,093 of 6,472
I didn't buy the MJ2 primarily for power I bought it for tube preamp and balanced. Jot is a very clean amp, perhaps cleaner than the amp section on MJ2?

EDIT: also some have proclaimed the Jot to be the best sounding SS amp made by Schiit. I would love a Rag but I am not sure I have room for it on my desk. I am also not convinced it would sound better than my MJ2 or better than MJ2>Jot. 

Bonus: my Mjolnir became defective last night and I was left with no way to listen to headphones through my Yggy so I will relax with the knowledge that if it happens again I have a Jot as a backup. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,094 of 6,472
bump for reading of edits

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,095 of 6,472
The point of a preamp is to color the sound in ways that the main amp can't, ala Freia and Vidar or MJ2 and Ragnarok. You wouldn't use the WA-5 as a preamp for asgard or Liquid Glass as a preamp for magni. 

Your post peaked my curiosity about using one amp, as a preamp, into another amp in order to create a different sounding amp. I have the tube hybrid Vali2 and am waiting for my Jotunheim to arrive. It might be interesting to experiment by putting the V2 between my Bimby (or Mimby) and the Jot. It could be an interesting comparison against the straight Jotunheim.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,096 of 6,472
Your post peaked my curiosity about using one amp, as a preamp, into another amp in order to create a different sounding amp. I have the tube hybrid Vali2 and am waiting for my Jotunheim to arrive. It might be interesting to experiment by putting the V2 between my Bimby (or Mimby) and the Jot. It could be an interesting comparison against the straight Jotunheim.

Yes. This is how I understand preamp situations to work. Add a sys to switch ur schiit on demand

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2,098 of 6,472

This same idea dawned on me recently and I fed the Jot from my Vali 2! I didn't notice a huge amount of difference between that and straight Jot; maybe because it's a tube hybrid? From that same line of thinking, I was reminded of ifi's iTube:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-itube/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700109/review-ifi-audio-itube-tube-magic-for-all-systems

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,100 of 6,472

I tried to, while having a bit of a session of trying various headphones on my Jot at a dealer*. Despite listing HE-6 as being in stock, the owner looked deeply confused when I even asked about it, and denied its existence, so I was foiled; sorry.

I've read reasonably trustworthy accounts elsewhere that didn't find it the most thrilling pairing, however.

* I wasn't wasting time, I did seriously intend to walk away with a new pair, but there was something of a disconnect between what was listed on the website, on demo in the shop, and in stock for sale. None of the headphones that I enjoyed were available, most of the ones I didn't care for we plentiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back