Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 19, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #2,058 of 6,472
i like the idea if having a balanced Amp/Dac should i fancy venturing into that realm in the future
is the Jot the cheapest fully balanced Amp (or combo) available?

Not the cheapest but one of the best IMHO for the price.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #2,059 of 6,472
Anyone else received a defective Joti?

I received a new Joti recently and found that it sounded pretty poor.  The dynamics were there but the details and image were very muddy even after a few days warm-up.  It was far worse than an old Musical Fidelity VCAN-II amp that I had lying around.  I was feeding with a Yggy and I have both high end amp/speaker rig and another amp (Musical Fidelity M1-HPAp) that made me sure that signal was absolutely clean.  Cans were HD650.

I tried both SE and balanced inputs and hi and lo gain settings.  There was a slight improvement with balanced & lo gain but the result was still completely unacceptable.  Needless to say I sent it back.

Based on other comments about this amp I must of received a lemon.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Can I ask what speakers do you have?

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,060 of 6,472

not the cheapest but close to it. Matrix audio make a few 

Ah thats right.
at one point i was looking at the Matrix HPA-3U. however a 'trusted opinion' on youtube highlighted a fault which has sort of turned me off the brand, so... no to the HPA-3B
their other bigger units have output impedance of 10 ohms which don't suit some of my existing headphones (X2, Momentum 2.0)

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2,061 of 6,472
Oct 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,066 of 6,472
What's that black box on top?

That's the Bakoon HPA-01. I was comparing some of my favorite headphone experiences such as the sound of the LCD-X running from the current output of the Bakoon with the HD 800S running out of the Jot. 

I've ended up running the LCD-X out of the Jot with the supplied Audeze balanced cables. The power and transparency the Jot provides is a good fit with the Audeze sound. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,068 of 6,472
  I believe this was touched on earlier but not revisited:
Is there good reason to get a Jot and use Mjolnir 2 with great tubes as a pre-amp? Perhaps not long term but it is very tempting to check out.
I wonder how it would compare to MJ2 alone (has anybody tried)?

A good reason? Any reason? No. @FLTWS has compared Jot/MJ2/Rag and his thoughts (he PMd me) are worth reading, but I'll let him post them, as I assume he already has. If you want something cheap, flat, and powerful, get Jot. He calls MJ2 with LISST more fun, and with the obvious 1-2 punch of being able to roll tubes. While I continue to wonder about whether I should've gotten Raggy, I love MJ2. Pick one, you will not be disappointed in either case. I wait with baited breath for the "Jotunlyr" that combines their new super linear topology with the ability to tube roll. That schiit is going to be great.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,069 of 6,472

A good reason? Any reason? No. @FLTWS has compared Jot/MJ2/Rag and his thoughts (he PMd me) are worth reading, but I'll let him post them, as I assume he already has. If you want something cheap, flat, and powerful, get Jot. He calls MJ2 with LISST more fun, and with the obvious 1-2 punch of being able to roll tubes. While I continue to wonder about whether I should've gotten Raggy, I love MJ2. Pick one, you will not be disappointed in either case. I wait with baited breath for the "Jotunlyr" that combines their new super linear topology with the ability to tube roll. That schiit is going to be great.

I have not enjoyed SS as much as I have great tubes. I need to hear Jot & Rag for myself. 
I appreciate the comments on comparative SS Jot/MJ2/Rag, very interesting. The specs of the Jot are very impressive.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,070 of 6,472
Here is my impressions on the Jotunheim after a month of ownership. My main headphones were HE-500 and PSB M4U2.

Physical Appearance: It looks like Schiit

First things first, the picture of the Jotunheim in the  Schiit's Jotunheim product page is a LIE! The white LED is a thousand times brighter in real life than it is in the picture. It is so bright that I had to move the unit to my right just so the knob can act as a shield to keep the LED from blinding me. If you actually looked at the unit at the angle the Jotunheim is presented in the product page, you might start to feel nauseated even start vomiting after just a few seconds. It is that bright.

Other than that, the Jotunheim looks like typical Schiit. I used to own the Magni/Modi, I had them just a week after it was released. I also have a local dealer in my area where I can check out other Schiit products. The build quality looks like it can take a beating and the 2-tone grey and silver looks looks like it can handle dust accumulation well (no color change after just a month without dusting)

BTW the "N" on the Jotunheim looks weird, it looks like an "S" fallen over blackout drunk.

Amplifier section: Sounds like a $2000 unit

The Jotunheim is the first product in a while (I haven't kept active in the forum for over a year and a half) that has caught my attention. Before that I haven't had a real need to upgrade from my Audio-GD Compass 2, another Amp/DAC that had a modular DAC section. The only other units that sounded better were well over $2000, not including the DACs that I was demoing on. The DAC on the Compass 2 was pretty good IMO, I was always suspected the amp section to not be on par though and I was right when I finally got the Jotunheim.

The amps that I consider sounded audibly better were ones that helped my HE-500 deliver better bass response, more impact and deeper sounding. That's it. The HE-500 are perfect to my ears in terms of frequency response and only needed that extra oomph in the bass. The HE-500 lacks spaciousness but I can live without that since it didn't really bother me. Pairing the HE-500 with the Jotunheim provided the extra oomph that I wanted in the bass. The bass feels livelier and more engaging.

I did notice people were reporting a bit more strident treble with the Jotunheim. I only really heard this while using the HE-500 in SE but not in Balanced. Using the HE-500 in balanced, there is tad bit more treble but not in a glaring obvious amount. The difference in trebele was quite audible going from the Compass 2 (SE only amp) to the Jotunheim in SE though ... volume matched...
The mids are not affected in anyway going from the Compass 2 to the Jotunheim. I have nothing to say other than it keeps my Kamijo singing 
k701smile.gif

DAC section: Nothing special

I'm sorry, I am really not with the camp that thinks a DAC will make a whole lot of difference. I just need my DAC to convert my 1s and 0s in analog form and my Compass 2 did that. The built in DAC did that as well. 

However, if Schiit decides to make a Multi-Bit DAC in balanced mode that is in the Jotunheim's price range, it will have my interest. Otherwise, I will continue to try and save up for an Yggdrasil. 

Conclusion: Worth the money for an upgrade below $1000

On average, Amp/DAC units costs well over $2000 - $3000 to have a audible differences in quality against units that cost around $500 - $1000. However, the Jotunheim Amp/DAC version can offer an audibly better sound and it only cost $499 ... what?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back